Anyone else have no real desire to travel internationally?

Yeah I think a lot of people that aren't from here underestimate how huge this place is. you can drive for days just to get from one area to another. And culture varies pretty widely throughout the country.
Your missing out on some cultural difference compared to western europe arguably but scale wise its pretty similar and arguably more variety in terms of landscape. If I lived in the US most likely holidays outside it would be the "big" ones I do every 2-3 years not every year.

Having said that since Covid I'v not actually been outside the UK, I had been to Patagonia just weeks before it hit but that disruption plus the weakened pound has meant I'v done domestic stuff for the last 3 years, mostly north Wales.

This thread was brought to you by America.

My thoughts exactly. I have family there that I've never met and I'm still not willing to go. 20 hour flight? No thanks
Do what I did, I went from Thailand to USA which is a fair flight, so I stopped in Japan for a week to break it up.

A lot of the folks making fun of Americans in here don't understand the expense of international travel from the US perspective. Europeans, Aussies, and a few other peeps have a large number of places they can travel for very cheap relatively. International travel from the US, especially crossing oceans is typically reserved for the wealthy and is very cost prohibitive. When people make fun of Americans for not being worldly, it's because most can't afford it, and those that can usually save for a once in a lifetime trip to one place, one time. A plumber from Des Moines ain't going to the Amalfi Coast, nor dreams about living a year on the left bank of the Seine. Work culture here doesn't allow for such dreaming. You work 45 years and hope you can scrimp enough money. and have a body that isn't broken so that you can visit Yellowstone for a week camping in a tent.... and then die young.

On the flip side, most Europeans judge Americans on what the media portrays. Then they visit here and go to Florida, New York, or California. Then in those areas they visit like the least American places in America and pretend they know everything. It'd be like me visiting Wales and thinking I know what Belgium is like.

I don't have a large desire to travel internationally. I do really want to visit a few select places though. The world is large, and I'll temper my expectations of what I can accomplish. I'd like to make it to Burgundy or Bordeaux. Maybe try to get to the Duoro. Japan would be amazing. Some places just aren't worth the risk anymore. I'd rather not go into Mexico, most of Africa, China, Russia, etc at this point in my life.

Last edited:
I tell myself I don’t really want to cus I really can’t afford it lol, if I had money I’d probably do it from time to time for sure. Only ever been to Mexico and Canada, both were meh. Would love to go to Japan one day.

I travel all I’ve the US for work and I enjoy that it, it’s cool checking out other towns but eventually they all kind of blend together.

It depends. I know some people who go on vacation but it's like the same resort style vacation. Just the country changes. They should just go on cruises or the Caribbean instead.
Bro I've thought of going on a cruise vacation but all you do is have a shitty room and drink with a bunch of people you'd be forced to stay around unless you could find a way to ride a dolphin.

The only way I'd go on a cruise I decided is if I could maybe experience a Titanic type scenario.

Don't you have to be a scientist of some kind to even set foot on Antarctica? I believe just to get ot Antactica you have to fly to New Zealand then take a boat as far as it goes before the water gets too icy and then fly with a helicopter the rest of the way.
No. Limited amount of tourists can touch ground there

Last place I went to was Ukraine before the war hit it big.

I tend to choose how well the Canadian Dollar will hold up in a country, our weak ass currency makes it hard to justify going places that use the USD, Euros or Pounds.

American white boys aren't too popular in a lot of countries, or in parts of the U.S., so I'll stay put for now.

Yeah fair enough, Americans seem to really like it but we're fucking ages apart. A 14 hr flight is very difficult mentally for me.
I hope to make it there some day! I'll either just have to cowboy up and deal with it or get prescribed something that'll knock me out for 19 hours <Lmaoo>

Yeah im kinda not interested in world travel anymore for now. Like there are a few places id like to go & fish . . . But there is plenty of that stateside i can do too.

I definitely prefer vacationing over traveling now but internationally is always going to be a part of it

I don't really have an interest in it. My wife just came back from Paris on a work trip, and it just did not sound appealing to me.

I wouldn't mind driving across Canada again some day, maybe venture down through the states, and I wouldn't mind checking out Machu Picchu in person, but other than that I could really care less about traveling.

The internet has made it so I can see what I need to see from other place is the world, and I don't really give a shit about the experiences.

I'd rather blow my money on the hobbies I currently have.

Australia is one of my dream vacations but it's a 24 hour total flight between flying to LA and then LA to Sydney. I dont know if I can mentally handle that tbh.
I did UK to Australia with a stop off in Dubai. The plane was pretty luxury though just watched movies, ate food and kept napping, it wasn't too bad. Coming back was definitely worse than going there.

It's pretty cheap flying from the UK and I can to pretty much anywhere in Europe in just a couple of hours so I like to do small cheap trips every couple of months, we're off to Norway in 4 weeks time, less than a two hour flight.

Nope. Going to Puerto Rico one of these days is about as interesting as it's going to get. It's a US territory that's just a quick flight away. I've been on every continent less Antarctica, and I would never want to go there.

traveling is great fun

I'm looking at moving to a different country.

Back