Anyone else miss Goldie?

FreddieRoachsVoice

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
When Anderson was standing against the cage waiting for Israel to advance, I was half expecting to hear a classic Goldie "Oh my goodness!" moment but sadly, Cruz just blathered on proudly naming techniques that less than 1% of the viewing audience cares about. It just seems that no matter what is happening in the cage, Cruz will never show any change in emotion and teaming him with Anik, who himself is quite dry, is not a good pairing.

Anyone else miss Goldie? He may not have hands on fighting knowledge but he was great at making big moments feel even more exciting and really was a commentator for the people. Who else misses the Goldie charm and enjoys watching Bellator to hear a taste of the old days?

Last edited:
Dom and Anik were brutal, but Goldie is the furthest thing from the answer

not at all. not at any time. he was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

jRR5Izw.gif

Yep

Goldie was a national treasure. Yeah he was a fuck up. But he was our fuck up. He was the official voice of the UFC for 20 years. I have no idea why they took his job away? But it was a big mistake.

Goldie is the Michael Jordan of MMA commentary. If you disagree he is at least the Travis Lutter of MMA commentary.

Hell, Goldie could even make a lame card like this exciting. A good announcer can make shit smell good.

This Anik clown can turn an average card into a stinker. And stick Cruz next to him? Oh ffs I just mute it.

Havent posted in years but this thread got me back. Listening to Goldie on Bellator recently was nostalgic. A ridiculous man, but c'mon.. "His precision is so precise." The ultimate foot in mouth but he was 1/2 of the UFC's voice for a long time (SINCE 1998!) and had great balance with Rogan. Dom is unrivaled in his analysis and I think he educates viewers better than any commentator to date. But he lacks charisma and doesn't connect with the audience well. Dom/Anik is supposed to have a Rogan/Goldie dynamic, but the charm simply isnt there. He was the butt of every joke and he accepted as much. I appreciated him as an incidental comedy relief and appreciate his contributions and dubious analysis.

Mike Goldberg: "He's got him in some kind of strange choke I've never seen before!"
Joe Rogan: "That's a rear naked choke."

Joe Rogan: "Karo is wide open!"
Mike Goldberg: "Diaz smells the opening."

Mike Goldberg: "You can hear the corner speaking Portuguese!"
Joe Rogan: "Uh, that's Japanese, brother"
Mike Goldberg: "I should have known that."
Joe Rogan: "You're the one married to a Japanese chick."
Mike Goldberg: "That is correct."

Cruz just likes to announce himself as a know it all. His commentary does nothing to make the viewer excited. It’s all about how Cruz knows what fighter a should do against fighter b and so on.

I missed him the day he left. Moron ufc management

Goldie to me was like one of those old baseball broadcasters who you heard growing up. No one cared if they were the best, they just sounded like home.

no.

(but I also hope to never hear Anik and Cruz as a pair again - *yawn*)

Yea, definitely. Remember this plan Dana had for the team he wanted to bring in and yada yada yada....well it’s been a few years now, and failed ventures of some bum ass hack espn announcer, multiple fighters, and what’s his face from bellator who is worse than Goldie. God forbid there is life in an announcer when a fight is going on. It sounds like we are listening to an audio book for fights now adays.

Josh Thompson did a Goldie 'everything else is virtually identical' on the Bellator card earlier.
That was amusing but still didn't make me miss Goldie so no.

I don't care what anybody says. Commentating affects how exciting fights are. UFC was best when Goldie was around.

Rogan and Goldy > Cruz and Anik

Back