Anyone here on TRT? Pros and cons ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm almost 42 and it's becoming harder and harder to feel motivated to train bjj. I've been doing it for 8 years now.

Any of you taking TRT ? What are your pros and cons ? Side effects you don't like ?does it help with cardio, body fat, muscles etc ?

Just want an honest opinion. My primary refused to prescribe it unless I below love 300nl or whatever it is, last time I tested I was like 308 or something close. But I can push the issue if you guys recommend it. I jist don't want my junk to shrink haha

You asked for opinions. So, I will give you mine. I would never even consider it. Once you go on it, your body will stop producing these chemicals. You are screwed if you can't get it in the future. The world is falling apart. You can't count on it always being available. Plus, I have learned there are always side effects. Nothing is for free. What will it do to you long term? Cancer? Who knows.

I am 61 years old. I lift weights 4-5 times a week, do cardio, and I just started training 3 days a week in BJJ now. Lifting will boost your T levels. So will sleep, a good diet, and staying off alcohol.

I think it is a BIG mistake.

P.S. I have strong opinions. But, of course, the decision is yours. I like it when people tell me what they strongly believe in especially when they think I am wrong. Because, sometimes I am wrong.

40 and haven't really thought of it but I'm pretty sure I have naturally high test. I'm not opposed to the thought of guys that need it doing it. Getting old is a bitch.

I'm almost 42 and it's becoming harder and harder to feel motivated to train bjj. I've been doing it for 8 years now.

Any of you taking TRT ? What are your pros and cons ? Side effects you don't like ?does it help with cardio, body fat, muscles etc ?

Just want an honest opinion. My primary refused to prescribe it unless I below love 300nl or whatever it is, last time I tested I was like 308 or something close. But I can push the issue if you guys recommend it. I jist don't want my junk to shrink haha

When your wife hits peri, you'll be sorry.

... I'm not sure what hitting peri means either.

My wife went through menopause years ago. Man, that sucked. They get mean. Good thing she is over it now.

So, peri menopause is when menstruation becomes erratic, no longer monthly, but still occurs sporadically. A woman can't get pregnant.

Post menopause is the period after a woman goes without menstruating for 12 consecutive months.

Menopause is that 12 month period.

Very stupid idea, what is the motivation here? Do you think being on TRT will reignite your love for bjj? Or do you think it will make you better/substitute mat time/fill gaps in your technique? You're a hobbyist, don't play with your health like that, it's not worth it, there's always a price tag on all that shit

Sleep, a good diet, and staying off alcohol.

Lifestyle change to incorporate those 3 things will make a MAJOR difference. Food choices avoiding sugar is another big plus.

Did the doctor approved TRT route for 3 months without making any other changes. Felt no improvement in anything at all, of course YMMV.

My best friend is a doctor and he owns a trt clinic in NY. He was a 2 sport professional athlete in his late teens and 20's before going to school.

I was prescribed TRT when I was really sick with lyme disease. It didn't help with the lyme but it definitely felt good. I stopped and then gave it another try 2 years or so ago. I've currently been off for a year because it will mask my lyme flare ups and then I get sicker than I would if I had noticed earlier.

Stopping is a bit rough. It takes 4-6 months to get back to normal and that's doing everything correctly.

Prior to doing TRT I'd reccomend getting your sleep schedule, diet and excerse routine on point. You don't want to use TRT if you're run down from not taking care of yourself.

If you're burning the candel at both ends, TRT will just allow you to push your unbalanced lifestyle even further and may cause you greater harm.

I'd also look into peptides. Kisspeptin is a newer one that is a bit easier on your body then trt.

Ps: be careful which doctor you choose. Most of them are idiots and don't know what they're doing. It's just a revenue stream for them or they're brand new to it. If the doctor doesn't look like a small juice head, stay away.

Last edited:
I am on TRT, being on it since 31 years old, my body simply stoped producing enough and I used to have cronic depression and anxiety. After started to feel much better, it helps a lot considering you are not abusing it and have a doctor checking on you from time to time.

Testosterone fuels male sex drive, no?

Yes, but men don't go through perimenopause. Are you saying that he's better off with low T and a reduced sex drive to match his wife's? While there's certainly some friction to be expected there, I don't that would be my primary consideration when evaluating hormone therapy.

I wouldn’t I’m 50 and still lift and train often. If I don’t I feel tired and don’t get good sleep. I know a few guys I train with are on it and push others to join them. Honestly I see a big difference in appearance when they 1st start but then it kinda seems to fade even though they keep taking it.

Long term health benefits not sure but can’t imagine it’s great for you.

Yes, but men don't go through perimenopause. Are you saying that he's better off with low T and a reduced sex drive to match his wife's? While there's certainly some friction to be expected there, I don't that would be my primary consideration when evaluating hormone therapy.

The latter of course. Seriously, if I know what perimenopause is, don’t you think I know men don’t go through.

My post was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I would say if one doesn’t really need it and just wants to look better (eyes on you, RFK Jr.), the mismatch should be a consideration.

to the naysayers, properly administered TRT should bring your testosterone to normal levels, not turn you into gordon ryan. after a certain age, your body will simply not produce it anymore, and you do feel the effects. some people have naturally higher levels, some people have lower levels. maybe you'll still be in the normal range when you're 50, maybe you'll be really low when you're 35.

i know people who have taken testosterone willy nilly and i'd never do it like that. i also know a guy who gets it done properly and supervised by a doctor, and he's doing great. i'm 36 right now, and still feeling pretty good, but i don't see any reason why i wouldn't do it in my late 40s if i'm feeling like shit.

the main thing to understand is that by going for it, you will likely cause your natural T levels to be even lower. you don't really want to do that unnecessarily.

what i'm saying is, get yourself tested first, and several times over a longer period. if you're low, consider it. if you're not, don't do it.

It's like supercharging a vehicle with great fuel economy to maximise your performance/speed and then just using it to drive to the local shop 500m down the road at max speed everytime. Sure you get to the shops faster, but everything on your car is going to wear out quicker and the damage is done even if you covert it back to it's original version.

Just age gracefully and find other ways to enjoy your grappling. 7-8 years is the slump for most things in life from jobs to relationships. Make it through and find a way to fall back in love with training by setting yourself some specific goals that aren't around winning every time.

TLDR: Don't start something that only helps you in a hobby that has long term effects on your health and longevity.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I found this podcast to be interesting and might provide some info for the pro trt side

Back