Anyone know about French Savate, and why not be popular as English Boxing

So.. Is there any difference technique-wise between Savate and modern Kickboxing?

In savate you are only alowed to hit with the foot not the shin.
Guys have very good front kicks tips, etc, if I remember correctly you don’t score if you only boxe.
Back in the days my girlfriend was a world champion and I trained a bit at her gym, At her level they all had very good footwork and so much precision, its pretty hard to connect with the feet.
Its a good sport, but when you are not used, the distance management is hard to deal with, and you get your ass kicked even if you have trained KB, MT or boxing.. there are some similarities with fencing

In savate you are only alowed to hit with the foot not the shin.
Guys have very good front kicks tips, etc, if I remember correctly you don’t score if you only boxe.
Back in the days my girlfriend was a world champion and I trained a bit at her gym, At her level they all had very good footwork and so much precision, its pretty hard to connect with the feet.
Its a good sport, but when you are not used, the distance management is hard to deal with, and you get your ass kicked even if you have trained KB, MT or boxing.. there are some similarities with fencing

When you say foot, you mean they connect their roundhouse kicks with the instep or ball of the foot? Can judges actually keep track of that in the heat of the action?

As far as i know, there are two types of savate:
-Sport Savate
-Street Savate

In sport savate you are allowed only certain type of techniques, you cannot throw any kick you want. And as @Foxflechette57, you must hit with the foot, and I think for each kick it's a special part. Toes, sole, instep but no shin. And I think every kick must be chambered before and re-chambered back after the contact. You cannot do a baseball MT roundhouse type of kick...

Street Savate is the original type, which was a self defense art. Elbows, knees, and throws are in there too...

Back in the days my girlfriend was a world champion and I trained a bit at her gym
Post pics of girlfriend to determine if she's world champ material, for research purposes..

When you say foot, you mean they connect their roundhouse kicks with the instep or ball of the foot? Can judges actually keep track of that in the heat of the action?

They also hit with the point of their toes -which works since they wear shoes when fighting.

yep with the top of the foot or even the toes, indeed they do a keep track and are very stricy with this.

As far as i know, there are two types of savate:
-Sport Savate
-Street Savate

In sport savate you are allowed only certain type of techniques, you cannot throw any kick you want. And as @Foxflechette57, you must hit with the foot, and I think for each kick it's a special part. Toes, sole, instep but no shin. And I think every kick must be chambered before and re-chambered back after the contact. You cannot do a baseball MT roundhouse type of kick...

Street Savate is the original type, which was a self defense art. Elbows, knees, and throws are in there too...

Street Savate has almost disappeared isnt it?

I think I remember reading about a gym somewhere in Texas that still teaches Savage that is oriented towards self defense.I've read that original Savage curriculum included using a cane for self defense.I've read that both krav maga and jeet kune do use elements of savate as part of their curriculum. Ive only heard of savate classes being offered at jeet kune do gyms,which could e xplain why it's not as well known as boxing and mt

I know they have grades, I think the color of the gloves shows your level. But i don't know if to pass a level you must know techniques from the street version (or the version using a cane). If they do, then probably most of the gyms would teach some aspects of it. Otherwise I don't know. Been a while since I've been in France, and even then I trained only MT. I knew about Savate, like everybody else there, but mostly about the sport version, and not much details...

France was all about judo and TKD with big push and help from the state/Olympic committee. And in the ghettos, it was more about MT or boxing.

I think I remember reading about a gym somewhere in Texas that still teaches Savage that is oriented towards self defense.I've read that original Savage curriculum included using a cane for self defense.I've read that both krav maga and jeet kune do use elements of savate as part of their curriculum. Ive only heard of savate classes being offered at jeet kune do gyms,which could e xplain why it's not as well known as boxing and mt
Sounds awesome, sign me up

Damn. Stupid auto correct feature on my phone .lol
If Savate named themselves properly, they'd be in business still.

Savage = brutal = teh steetz proof = pussy magnet for capt. savajo (pronounced save-a-ho)

Marketing101

What do you guys mean by English Boxing. Bareknuckled style?

I have asked before why boxing was more popular than kickboxing/K1 and it seems to be a cultural coincidence more than anything else. People who enjoy K1 tend to like boxing as well, if they give it a chance

Last edited:
Originally Savate was a self defence martial art.

Here are some good documentaries in English about it:

Back