Anyone know about herniated disc recovery?

Dust2000

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
ive got 3 slipped discs in my lower spine

It's the bottom 3 that are affected with the lowest of the 3 (my L5-S1) is badly extruded and pushing into my sciatic nerve causing painful sciatica in my right leg

I haven't been able to sit or drive in over 2 months, nearly 3

I am using gabapentin, cocodomal, codrydamol and diclofenac for the pain. I have Pyshio once a week which consists mainly of accupuncture. I also do around 30mins of exercise a day which my Pysiho said will help mobilise my discs.

Any tips for recovery? How long can it take?

Is it just a question of time or is there anything I can do to speed up / assist with recovery and or prevent reoccurrence.

Anyone have similar stories or things that have helped or hindered their slipped discs?

I think I am over the worst of it but it seems a long and slow process of recovery.

I don't want to go down the surgery route or have injections just yet whilst I'm still in recovery and seem to be getting a little better each week although I'm not sure if it's just the drugs masking it...

A friend of mine and lifting partner had the surgery done. He had to take three months off from lifting, but as I posted in another thread he's been back at it for 6 months and is better than he ever was. He claims it did him a lot of good, but even his doctor said he couldn't guarantee he would be 100% again, luckily it turned out good for him.

If you want to shy away from surgery you could always try an inversion bed thing to decompress your spine. Maybe see different doctors and get different opinions. Free medical advice is worth about as much as you pay for it.

Who diagnosed you, what is your exact diagnosis and have you had an MRI?

Isn't this what you should be discussing with your physio? What exactly is he/she doing for you? If they are only giving you "accupuncture" and nothing else really they are not doing their job. They should be all over this. Did they do any gait analysis, ROM tests, neurological screening tests, questionares, neuromuscular tests, posture examination, manual treatment and so forth?

Exercise is good for disc recovery and fortunately almost 90% of lower back pain problems are cured within 3 months with conventional treatment (pain meds, exercise and spontanious healing).

Got a herniated disc with sciatic nerve compression about 3 years ago. Now I can do more then I used to before.

Physio helped a lot with decompressing the spine. Did a bit of acupuncture to help with pain and swelling at the beginning too.

What I did in PT was the McKenzie approach. Basically doing the yoga move called the "cobra" saved my back. I was doing it several times a day for a few months.

Google the McKenzie approach.

You can certainly come back from a disc herniation. I had herniated my L5-S1 when I was younger and had a few flare ups since but you need to learn what's causing it and alter your training to adapt to your injury. But I came back stronger than before

Also do yourself a favor and look up dr Stu McGill on google/youtube. Hes the leading authority on spinal health and injuries. His resources are gold.

I had to get injections for sciatica. I cured the sciatic pain but did nothing for my back pain.
I suffered for almost 20 years. I just thought this was how my life would be. I'm 45, so when I was lifting heavy in my 20s-30s the words "core" wasn't in my vocabulary. I never heard anyone say it.
My 'secret' workout move is weighted bridges or sometimes called hip thrusts. Looks a little funny but screw what anyone thinks, it's your back not their's. I have zero pain and my back is stronger than it has ever been, which isn't saying much.

There was a time where I could barely lift 125 lbs off the floor without killing myself. Now I can deadlift 315. Not earth shattering weight, but compared to where I was 2 years ago, at 165 lbs, I'd say I turned it around.

My only advise would be to take your time.. Get enough rest, Ice the lumbar area all the time, and gradually make you way back to exercising.

My back is completely screwed, (pars defect both sides, disc bulges at 4 levels, torn annular, and spondylolisthesis). Doctors tell me that surgery is the only way forward. But with enough time out of the weight room, big focus on stretching and myofascial release of glutes/hamstrings/piriformis, and focus on core strength development, you will be back.
Look up DeFrancos Limber eleven, do lots of swimming, walking, stretching, and take your time. Slowly make your way back to being able to do exercises like chinups and dips (traction is your friend).

Good luck

Hey, OP. No disrespect to everyone else here, but this isn't a joke. Please don't come to use for advice. Go to your PT, and if you don't like what they say, find another PT.

Back