Anyone know how Khabib is so strong?

GSP and Khabib both have huge torsos/ribcages.

Core strength. You need to build that up when you are young. That is why farm kids are strong as fuck when they are older. They have been working since they were 5.

If you look at his body, he looks very average compared to some other monsters like Abdel Trujilio and Gleison Tibau but he literally manhandles everyone. Even Rockhold said he's never grappled with a 155lb guy as strong as Khabib. He doesn't even look like he takes supplements let alone any peds. How the fuck is he so damn strong?

usa_today_9672819.0.jpg

abel-trujillo.jpg

063_Jamie_Varner_vs_Gleison_Tibau.1378004351.0.jpg

Those guys are shredded and have beach muscles.

If you look at his body, he looks very average compared to some other monsters like Abdel Trujilio and Gleison Tibau but he literally manhandles everyone. Even Rockhold said he's never grappled with a 155lb guy as strong as Khabib. He doesn't even look like he takes supplements let alone any peds. How the fuck is he so damn strong?

usa_today_9672819.0.jpg

abel-trujillo.jpg

Beach muscles look great, but don't always translate to grappling strength. Giant pecs or well peaked biceps don't come from tough grappling.

Same with having a big bench, squat, or deadlift. Are they helpful? Of course. But they don't make up for functional grappling strength gained through years of grappling.

I was a good high school wrestler, and had no desire to keep cutting weight and wrestling when I went to college. But I remember wrestling with a powerlifting buddy of mine, who had at least 25 lean pounds on me and hundreds of pounds in every lift, and he was amazed at how strong I felt when I grabbed him and threw him around.

And of course I'm nowhere anywhere near Khabibs level...dudes been wrestling bears since he was a toddler, his grappling strength has to be absolutely insane.

Last edited:
Not going to be a popular opinion but having wrestled a bit with Russians and a few Caucasians, I am of the belief that these guys are genetically predispositioned to be stronger than other people.

And interestingly they tend not to look as athletic as other people that have the same power.

I am in the opinion that it is definitely genetics. The average Turkic and Caucasus people will have a much thicker bone density than a bodybuilder who trained most of his life. They haven’t trained shit and were just born like that so a combination of genetics and training helps them. Just put your hand on their wrist and you’ll be suprised you can’t fully wrap your fingers around them.

I used to train in a Turkish owned gym that was filled with the Caucasus and Turkic people who are from those regions (Turkey to Central Asia) and they have average bodies but are incredibly thick and strong whereas I had no issues dealing with the “muscular” looking Western partners so building muscles doesn’t mean anything to them if they know how to fight.

Sherdoggers should read their interesting history and how genetics may relate to this. Their forefathers from the Caucasus and Turkic regions were uncivilized barbarians for thousands of years, no one could stop them and they were the reason why major empires (Romans, Persians, Chinese, Arabs etc) collapsed multiple times simultaneously. The region was nothing but wars and invasions.

Last edited:
Looked at strength and conditioning coaching eric cressey he's only only 5'8 maybe 180 and can deadlift well over 600 and squat over 500. He to has that dense farm boy build not a beach body but the type if you seen him on the street you wouldn't think he could do lifts like that.

Someone like Joel J. would know better but my guess from reading and training Khabib probably would not win a power lifting contest but as others indicated: technique and endurance. I would also like to guess limberness. Not Aoki level Gumby but helps reduce tiredness since can roll with pressures better. Power lifters have bigger more explosive capabilities but short lived. Boxers also have less size since need endurance. Ben Askren and DC don't have beach physiques either but they are also deceptively strong - technique and stamina. The technique and stamina from many years of training.

thought abel had a growth in his arm for a sec in that pic

Always find it amusing when dudes on forums look at guys like Tibau and Trujilio and think that's what you're meant to look like if you lift for 6 months and take some creatine.

usa_today_9672819.0.jpg

abel-trujillo.jpg

Well, have you seen the documentary about his childhood???

Definitely genetics. The average Turkic and Caucasus people will have a much thicker bone density than a bodybuilder who trained most of his life. They haven’t trained shit and were just born like that so a combination of genetics and training helps them. Just put your hand on their wrist and you’ll be suprised you can’t fully wrap your fingers around them.

I used to train in a Turkish owned gym that was filled with the Caucasus and Turkic people who are from those regions (Turkey to Central Asia) and they have average bodies but are incredibly thick and strong whereas Inhad no issues dealing with the “muscular” looking Western partners so building muscles doesn’t mean anything to them if they know how to fight.

You should read their interesting history and how genetics may relate to this. Their forefathers from the Caucasus and Turkic regions were barbarians for thousands of years, no one could stop them and they were the reason why major empires (Romans, Persians, Chinese, Arabs etc) collapsed multiple times simultaneously. The region was nothing but wars, wars, invasions and expansions.

hang on, you are talking about the mongols. are they turkic ?

so your claiming the turkic and caucasian people were responsible for the romans, arabs and persian empires collapsing.

if you had said the byzantine empire, sure....

Some guys are jacked some guys are not, athletes or not. It's more about the frame rather than the actual muscles themselves. If you want muscle definitnion like Romero or Costa, you need to get lean (>10% body fat) first and foremost.

Khabib's got decently broad shoulders and also a very thick waist which makes his shoulders look narrower than they actually are. Mcgregor looks like he has broader shoulders than Khabib due to his very narrow waist.

i heard that whenever he outwrestles a bear, he eats that bears heart which gives him bear strength

usa_today_9672819.0.jpg

abel-trujillo.jpg

bear meat

Technique - GSP also felt very strong when training with guys much heavier.

Back