Movies Anyone Like The Shining (1980, Stanley Kubrick)?

Deorum

Fuck Your Thots
@Black
Reaction score
A blatantly rhetorical question (I think?) but I just rewatched it for the first time in at least ten years with some JD on the rocks - albeit without any real analytical eye for detail or particular theories in mind - and was blown away by the freshness that it exudes and maintains well over four decades after its release. The Overlook is timeless, as both an environmental setting (+1 to The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite NP) and of course, the film's primary antagonist. Oh yeah, what a fuckin' edit.

(@BFoe)

This is a grand old time at the movies, man; lots of nostalgia from the days my cousins and I used to run horror flick marathons in the basement during the snowed-in winter months. Jack gives one of the most entertaining lead performances in history, but the supports here were nothing short of extraordinary from Ullman (Barry Nelson) and Halloran (Benjamin Crothers) to Lloyd (Joe Turkel) and Grady (Philip Stone) to - if not especially - Doc (Danny Lloyd) and Wendy (Shelley Duvall). If anything, Shelley's performance here is far closer to being one of the best of all-time than it was worthy of "Razzie" nomination as worst-anything -- some of the most realistic expressions of anxiety, panic, and terror I've seen on film.

Shelley's performance here is far closer to being one of the best of all-time than it was worthy of "Razzie" nomination as worst-anything -- some of the most realistic expressions of anxiety, panic, and terror I've seen on film.
Yeah I never really understood that, I think her performance is very effective as an abused wife who is not going to be some kind of confident action hero and makes what she does do much more heroic.

I think THE big reason why King hated Kubricks film is that in Kubricks Shining Jack is an asshole from the start rather than a "good man brought down by evil forces". It basically pushes the idea that the violent colonaism asscoated with the hotel is part of US society and has made Jack the man he is.

Fantastic film.

I didn't know Shelley Duvall got a razzie nomination for that performance. That's strange. She was very good imo.
I think that shows you the degree critics looked down on horror films at the time.

To get a bit political as well I feel their was a significant degree of sexism involved, New Hollywood for all its advances was VERY male centric, how many really iconic female performances come to mind during the 70's and early 80's from that scene? horror films on the other hand gave us loads of iconic female performances, Rosemary's Baby. The Exorcist, Halloween, Carrie, The Shining, etc

Last edited:
A blatantly rhetorical question (I think?) but I just rewatched it for the first time in at least ten years with some JD on the rocks - albeit without any real analytical eye for detail or particular theories in mind - and was blown away by the freshness that it exudes and maintains well over four decades after its release. The Overlook is timeless, as both an environmental setting (+1 to The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite NP) and of course, the film's primary antagonist. Oh yeah, what a fuckin' edit.

(@BFoe)

This is a grand old time at the movies, man; lots of nostalgia from the days my cousins and I used to run horror flick marathons in the basement during the snowed-in winter months. Jack gives one of the most entertaining lead performances in history, but the supports here were nothing short of extraordinary from Ullman (Barry Nelson) and Halloran (Benjamin Crothers) to Lloyd (Joe Turkel) and Grady (Philip Stone) to - if not especially - Doc (Danny Lloyd) and Wendy (Shelley Duvall). If anything, Shelley's performance here is far closer to being one of the best of all-time than it was worthy of "Razzie" nomination as worst-anything -- some of the most realistic expressions of anxiety, panic, and terror I've seen on film.

Thanks for the tag! Wow, you remembered this was my favorite film and tagged me? 😍

Was drinking JD a conscious choice? I think enjoying this with JD on the rocks is perfect, since that’s exactly what Jack Torrance drinks in the Gold Room bar scene. There’s a big debate in the whiskey world as to whether that “Tennessee whiskey” is a bourbon or not. Jack asks for bourbon, and Lloyd gives him Jack Daniel’s, which of course mirrors the 2 character names of Jack and Danny, whose real names mirror those as well (Jack Nicholson and Danny Lloyd). lots of fun with mirrors and twinning in this film (ever notice how the Torrance bathroom in CO mirrors the one in Room 237, with that same odd shade of green?)

The way Kubrick uses the vast space of the hotel to make us feel disoriented and trapped is masterful, the brightly lit sets are just gorgeous. Once you dive into the film with an eye for detail, there’s just so much to see.

love it

if we are talkign about the shining as the story by stephen king then my choice is the mini series from the 00's and doctor sleep.

but if we are talking about the best movie experience than the choice is the kubrick shining by a country mile

it may not be a very faithful adaptation of a Stephen King story - as the author himself has loudly pointed out - but it is easily one of the best movies based on such a property.
Again I kind of suspect King having such an issue with Kubricks film relative to many other adaptations which have altered his work is that his version of Jack was somewhat based own Kings on alcoholism. Kubrick's film on the other hand I think takes a very different view of Jacks character, he's not a victim of drink or ghosts, he's an asshole though and thought and the drink/ghosts just bring it into sharper relief. So I can see why King would potentially take that shift very personally although I don't think Kubrick intended to specifically go after King so much as the idea of the male abuser as a victim himself.

(@BFoe)

It took me about 6 years to watch the whole film, but I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the tag! Wow, you remembered this was my favorite film and tagged me? 😍

Was drinking JD a conscious choice? I think enjoying this with JD on the rocks is perfect, since that’s exactly what Jack Torrance drinks in the Gold Room bar scene. There’s a big debate in the whiskey world as to whether that “Tennessee whiskey” is a bourbon or not. Jack asks for bourbon, and Lloyd gives him Jack Daniel’s, which of course mirrors the 2 character names of Jack and Danny, whose real names mirror those as well (Jack Nicholson and Danny Lloyd). lots of fun with mirrors and twinning in this film (ever notice how the Torrance bathroom in CO mirrors the one in Room 237, with that same odd shade of green?)

The way Kubrick uses the vast space of the hotel to make us feel disoriented and trapped is masterful, the brightly lit sets are just gorgeous. Once you dive into the film with an eye for detail, there’s just so much to see.

Wow I didn't notice those details before, thanks man.

Wow I didn't notice those details before, thanks man.
You bet! I’ll share one more detail I really like.

So Kubrick basically reverses or changes every one of Stephen King’s main plot points: he has Jack use an axe not a mallet, there’s no boiler explosion, Wendy is a skittish brunette instead of a self-reliant blonde….even the color of the Torrance’s VW beetle is changed. In the movie, it’s yellow— in King’s book, it’s red.

But when Halloran is driving to Durkin’s to pick up the snowcat, there’s a quick scene of police attending to an accident that’s happened. A semi truck has rolled over and crushed a small car.
The crushed car? A red VW beetle.

IMG_0997.jpeg

You bet! I’ll share one more detail I really like.

So Kubrick basically reverses or changes every one of Stephen King’s main plot points: he has Jack use an axe not a mallet, there’s no boiler explosion, Wendy is a skittish brunette instead of a self-reliant blonde….even the color of the Torrance’s VW beetle is changed. In the movie, it’s yellow— in King’s book, it’s red.

But when Halloran is driving to Durkin’s to pick up the snowcat, there’s a quick scene of police attending to an accident that’s happened. A semi truck has rolled over and crushed a small car.
The crushed car? A red VW beetle.

View attachment 1033363

Wow, that's very cool. You have a great eye man.

Wow, that's very cool. You have a great eye man.
Oh I can’t take credit for all of these observations. While I have seen the movie tons of times and noticed a lot of stuff, there are lots of people on the internet with Shining theories. A dude named Rob Ager is responsible for a lot of the stuff I’m mentioning, his breakdown of the movie and its themes is just superb.

Back