Movies Anyone Like The Shining (1980, Stanley Kubrick)?

Thanks for the tag! Wow, you remembered this was my favorite film and tagged me? šŸ˜

Was drinking JD a conscious choice? I think enjoying this with JD on the rocks is perfect, since thatā€™s exactly what Jack Torrance drinks in the Gold Room bar scene. Thereā€™s a big debate in the whiskey world as to whether that ā€œTennessee whiskeyā€ is a bourbon or not. Jack asks for bourbon, and Lloyd gives him Jack Danielā€™s, which of course mirrors the 2 character names of Jack and Danny, whose real names mirror those as well (Jack Nicholson and Danny Lloyd). lots of fun with mirrors and twinning in this film (ever notice how the Torrance bathroom in CO mirrors the one in Room 237, with that same odd shade of green?)

I actually did. ā˜ŗļø JD was 100% a conscious choice haha, although I'm a definitively casual/social drinker. My dad was an alcoholic so I was heavily put off from a young age of ever making it a regular thing.

The way Kubrick uses the vast space of the hotel to make us feel disoriented and trapped is masterful, the brightly lit sets are just gorgeous. Once you dive into the film with an eye for detail, thereā€™s just so much to see.

You gotta check this out (provided it didn't already creep into your algorithm last year, lol). I'm not much for YT content creators and don't have any subs but this was incredibly fun and exceptionally well presented. There are so many design cues and details that inspired and were clearly used by Kubrick for the Overlook (built on sets across the Atlantic) that it almost looks like it could've been shot there. From an architectural standpoint on its own merit, the Ahwahnee is the crown jewel of national park lodges. The actual tour begins around the 10:40 mark.

e45b5003-d98d-4aca-9e7f-8d31adba51d6_text.gif

Great Hotel, Isn't It? I'll be there in May.

I actually did. ā˜ŗļø JD was 100% a conscious choice haha, although I'm a definitively casual/social drinker. My dad was an alcoholic so I was heavily put off from a young age of ever making it a regular thing.

You gotta check this out (provided it didn't already creep into your algorithm last year, lol). I'm not much for YT content creators and don't have any subs but this was incredibly fun and exceptionally well presented. There are so many design cues and details that inspired and were clearly used by Kubrick for the Overlook (built on sets across the Atlantic) that it almost looks like it could've been shot there. From an architectural standpoint on its own merit, the Ahwahnee is the crown jewel of national park lodges. The actual tour begins around the 10:40 mark.

e45b5003-d98d-4aca-9e7f-8d31adba51d6_text.gif

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve seen that specific video, but yeah, the Ahwahnee just looks so cool, Iā€™d love to stay there. Watching that video you posted, itā€™s interesting how they keep talking about Kubrick ā€œmirroring/reversingā€ things, in light of what I was saying earlier.

The exterior shots in the film were the Timberline Lodge in Oregon.

Great Hotel, Isn't It? Iā€™ll be there in May
All the best people ;)

Its amazing. I've done a shit ton of analysis on this movie. Jack being gay, who let him out of the pantry, set design, 237. It maybe the movie with the most subliminal messages ever made.

A big part of the films sucess and I think the way it was most influential was the sound design, something like the room 237 scene those unpleasant guttural noises are a massive part of why its so chilling.

Last edited:
Again I kind of suspect King having such an issue with Kubricks film relative to many other adaptations which have altered his work is that his version of Jack was somewhat based own Kings on alcoholism. Kubrick's film on the other hand I think takes a very different view of Jacks character, he's not a victim of drink or ghosts, he's an asshole though and thought and the drink/ghosts just bring it into sharper relief. So I can see why King would potentially take that shift very personally although I don't think Kubrick intended to specifically go after King so much as the idea of the male abuser as a victim himself.
That's been my one critique of a brilliant film. There's really not much of a transformation for Jack. He doesn't ever show any fatherly warmth or love to his family

He looks like he is absolutely done with these people and ready to kill them already from the first scene. It would have been even more effective if we see him playing with Danny and being lovey-dovey with Wendy for the first act and that is all slowly stripped away

That's been my one critique of a brilliant film. There's really not much of a transformation for Jack. He doesn't ever show any fatherly warmth or love to his family

He looks like he is absolutely done with these people and ready to kill them already from the first scene. It would have been even more effective if we see him playing with Danny and being lovey-dovey with Wendy for the first act and that is all slowly stripped away

Really though I think if theres a dramatic arc its Wendy standing up to him.

Boring and pretentious, like most of Kubrick's work.

A blatantly rhetorical question (I think?) but I just rewatched it for the first time in at least ten years with some JD on the rocks - albeit without any real analytical eye for detail or particular theories in mind - and was blown away by the freshness that it exudes and maintains well over four decades after its release. The Overlook is timeless, as both an environmental setting (+1 to The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite NP) and of course, the film's primary antagonist. Oh yeah, what a fuckin' edit.

(@BFoe)

This is a grand old time at the movies, man; lots of nostalgia from the days my cousins and I used to run horror flick marathons in the basement during the snowed-in winter months. Jack gives one of the most entertaining lead performances in history, but the supports here were nothing short of extraordinary from Ullman (Barry Nelson) and Halloran (Benjamin Crothers) to Lloyd (Joe Turkel) and Grady (Philip Stone) to - if not especially - Doc (Danny Lloyd) and Wendy (Shelley Duvall). If anything, Shelley's performance here is far closer to being one of the best of all-time than it was worthy of "Razzie" nomination as worst-anything -- some of the most realistic expressions of anxiety, panic, and terror I've seen on film.

Funny thing is I still haven't the whole movie but over the years I have seen bits of the movie and it's errie and creepy as f**k and great performances from everyone involved.

IMO This film as well as The Exorcist and Halloween are the scariest films every made.

Last edited:
Fantastic film.

I didn't know Shelley Duvall got a razzie nomination for that performance. That's strange. She was very good imo.
I like her in it nowdays but when I was younger I thought she was really annoying and over the top. IDK maybe after hearing the backstory about how Kubrick treated her it change my opinion.

Its amazing. I've done a shit ton of analysis on this movie. Jack being gay, who let him out of the pantry, set design, 237. It maybe the movie with the most subliminal messages ever made.
Iā€™m not sure about Jack being gay, but I def think he molested Danny. I also lean towards Danny being he one to let him out of the pantry. (Iā€™m one of those ā€œthere are no ghosts in the Shiningā€ people.)

Funny thing is I still haven't the whole movie but over the years I have seen bits of the movie and it's errie and creepy as f**k and great performances from everyone involved.

IMO This film as well as The Exorcist and Halloween are scariest films every made.

The OG 1980 teaser is simplistic perfection.

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve seen that specific video, but yeah, the Ahwahnee just looks so cool, Iā€™d love to stay there. Watching that video you posted, itā€™s interesting how they keep talking about Kubrick ā€œmirroring/reversingā€ things, in light of what I was saying earlier.

The exterior shots in the film were the Timberline Lodge in Oregon.

All the best people ;)

One of the greatest aspects for me is that it's nestled deep in the heart of Yosemite National Park, one of the few places in the world that is even more baffling and dramatically beautiful than Glacier NP, which is where Kubrick filmed the aerial shots of the opening scene. This was the first federally protected piece of land for the specific purpose of public recreation and preservation for its own sake in the history of the world. The Yosemite Valley Grant Act of 1864, signed by Lincoln in the middle of a bloody civil war.

The Ahwahnee pretty much sells out a whole year in advance. It is an insanely competitive ordeal to snag a room for a single night there, you have to persistently check for and then jump on the odd reservation cancellations at just the right moment, which is what I actually managed to do - only cost a cool $650 for a standard room lol - because I'll be in Yosemite this May anyway.

<Oku03>

A blatantly rhetorical question (I think?) but I just rewatched it for the first time in at least ten years with some JD on the rocks - albeit without any real analytical eye for detail or particular theories in mind - and was blown away by the freshness that it exudes and maintains well over four decades after its release. The Overlook is timeless, as both an environmental setting (+1 to The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite NP) and of course, the film's primary antagonist. Oh yeah, what a fuckin' edit.

(@BFoe)

This is a grand old time at the movies, man; lots of nostalgia from the days my cousins and I used to run horror flick marathons in the basement during the snowed-in winter months. Jack gives one of the most entertaining lead performances in history, but the supports here were nothing short of extraordinary from Ullman (Barry Nelson) and Halloran (Benjamin Crothers) to Lloyd (Joe Turkel) and Grady (Philip Stone) to - if not especially - Doc (Danny Lloyd) and Wendy (Shelley Duvall). If anything, Shelley's performance here is far closer to being one of the best of all-time than it was worthy of "Razzie" nomination as worst-anything -- some of the most realistic expressions of anxiety, panic, and terror I've seen on film.

Those fuckin twins scared the fuck out of me when I was a kid lol.

Overall that movie is easily a 9/10 though.

Fantastic flick.

The Opening theme is great.

The GSR.

Going-to-the-Sun Road is a scenic mountain road in the Rocky Mountains of the western United States, in Glacier National Park in Montana. The Sun Road, as it is sometimes abbreviated in National Park Service documents, is the only road that traverses the park, crossing the Continental Divide through Logan Pass at an elevation of 6,646 feet (2,026 m), which is the highest point on the road. The road is the first to have been registered in all of the following categories: National Historic Place, National Historic Landmark, and Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The road is approximately 50 miles (80 km) long and spans the width of the park between the east and west entrance stations.

Going-to-the-Sun Road is shown in the opening credits of the 1980 film The Shining, as aerial flybys of Wild Goose Island and the protagonist's car traveling along the north shore of Saint Mary Lake, through the East Side tunnel and onward, going to a mountain resort hotel for his job interview as a winter caretaker. The road is also featured at night at the climax of the sequel adaptation, Doctor Sleep, when Danny Torrance returns to the Overlook Hotel with Abra to confront the antagonist Rose The Hat. The road is also seen briefly in the 1994 film Forrest Gump. As Forrest reminisces with Jenny he remembers running across the U.S. and remarks, "Like that mountain lake. It was so clear, Jenny. It looked like there were two skies, one on top of the other." The shots in the background are Going-to-the-Sun Road and Saint Mary Lake.

Back