Anyone training in Taekwondo?

Steve Cantwell. He might have done better if he would have kept going forward after him. He just threw some nice combos or kicks and then backed up giving Cane too much space.

Its effective if cross trained. It really does give you a lot more weapons, but the things I dont like about TKD are the sparring and the forms. The forms are just bullshit. Sparring is ok to build up technique, but its not the best. Master Toddy trained in TKD and hes added it with his MT so it is legit. The Thai Military uses TKD, so it is very effective. You just need to add to it in order to cover the holes.

Steve Cantwell. He might have done better if he would have kept going forward after him. He just threw some nice combos or kicks and then backed up giving Cane too much space.

Also he had bad foot work

Taekwondo is a double edged sword as far as effectiveness. The "sparring" fustrated me to no end because you can only target certain points on the body. (you can't kick legs, and you have to contantly switch stances to find an open target). Thus the top "fighters" at my school were guys who knew how to hit those targets effectively. Could they really fight? No way in hell.
You also have to discard alot of taekwondo's worthless moves (inside crescent kick, axe kick, outside crescent kick). In short, take away from it what is usefull, and discard the rest.
That is with any style.

Howd you do at illinois states Appelkick? I saw some fights on youtube and it looked solid.

Howd you do at illinois states Appelkick? I saw some fights on youtube and it looked solid.

Hey Man,

I did alright, got to the final. In the final I outpointed the guy 5-4, but got 2 penalty points - 1 for grabbing and 1 for going out of bounds.

I was ahead the entire fight! But I got the second penalty with 7 seconds left, so I actually ended up losing 3-4.

It sucks! But I didn't get outclassed, or beat up. I made a couple of mental mistakes, and that won't happen again.

Which US Team were you on, and when?
this was years back when i was in high school. i was in the accelerated program. black belt in 3yrs, but my dojo offers it in 4. my group was crosstraining with koreans from other dojos and we formed team usa. we flew to vietnam and korea

? Were you on the junior national team? if you were in highschool?

I just want to say that considering Steve cantwell didnt get knocked the fuck out against Cane, he did very well. I expected him to be fed to the wolves in that fight, and to come out alot worse for ware.

Ive trained TKD for a very long time, but I never stuck with it like I should have in a traditional sense. I think fighting on the streets and money had alot to do with that though.

I dont know what to say other than I can kick proficiently enough to hurt people, im pretty flexible and my overall concept of range has improved due to TKD training.

im a red belt in taekwondo nd i think muay thai is totally inferior to it

In what way? I've been training in TKD (old style, Moo Duk Kwan) for 28 years. I could not say that about any other art because they are all so different. Each is superior and each is inferior. It all depends on what you want out of it. For MMA and full contact competition I would have to give the nod to MT mostly because that is what it is designed for. Traditional TKD training does not prepare you for that kind of competition. Adding a full contact training regimen to the TKD would be necessary.

you know whats the hardest part about training tkd? is telling your parents you're gay.... jk.

Apparently you are not somebody to have an opinion on this, since you don't know much about neither tkd or MT.

Maybe that was a troll and we were fooled.

In terms of speed.. yes. In terms of power and damage... No way. The power shots in TKD come from spinning back kicks and what not. You have to get fancy before the devestating power comes. But I would rather take a snap kick to the face, then a thai shin to the side of my dome. I took both arts, and I imediately saw the difference.

Please explain why you feel this way. I am interested in your comments.

leave the troll alone.

Besides everyone knows belts mean nothing in competition or skill.
I have fought yellow belts who were much much better than green belts,
And i have seen black belts lose horribly to red belts.
Its all about the person,the Dedication,the amount of training,the expi and the skill of the school.

Back