Anyone use starlink?

Prior to Starlink, the fastest internet my mother had access to was ~700 kbps download and 200kbps upload for almost $70 a month. That's too slow to even watch 480p Youtube videos. Imagine living with that shit. Many people on her street are now using Starlink. They've been able to cancel their home phone and TV service, save a lot of money, and it's totally changed their lives.

Anyone have any experience with musks starlink?
Have read some good stuff about it, trying to order one currently…

Biggest flaw with satellite internet is its latency. Anything you do online that requires low latency(like multiplayer gaming) is impossible. You'll also have a noticeable delay in all web surfing queries.

Satellite internet is only viable for extreme remote places where cell towers and power lines dont exist.

Biggest flaw with satellite internet is its latency. Anything you do online that requires low latency(like multiplayer gaming) is impossible. You'll also have a noticeable delay in all web surfing queries.

Satellite internet is only viable for extreme remote places where cell towers and power lines dont exist.
Starlink is not worse than some cable. It's median latency is ~40ms, which is not too bad for online gaming. Not all games would be that impacted by this.

I used to have a StarTAC if that counts.

Starlink is not worse than some cable. It's median latency is ~40ms, which is not too bad for online gaming. Not all games would be that impacted by this.

Thats internal latency. As more users sign up their internal latency is getting worse along with download/upload speeds.

With online gaming its vital where the second Starlink satellite is compared to the game server location. For context consoles have a built in default ~70ms latency locally.

Thats internal latency. As more users sign up their internal latency is getting worse along with download/upload speeds.

With online gaming its vital where the second Starlink satellite is compared to the game server location. For context consoles have a built in default ~70ms latency locally.
I just looked on reddit, and there are tons of people talking about great FPS gameplay with Starlink getting 40-70ms latency. They are not finding multiplayer games impossible like you said.

I just looked on reddit, and there are tons of people talking about great FPS gameplay with Starlink getting 40-70ms latency. They are not finding multiplayer games impossible like you said.

Thats from playing low tickrate FPS games.

Dont really see the point. I have fiber optic at home, my smartphone works everywhere I need it to. When i do travel, go hunt or find myself in the mountains with no internet, im perfectly fine with that.

Dont really see the point. I have fiber optic at home, my smartphone works everywhere I need it to. When i do travel, go hunt or find myself in the mountains with no internet, im perfectly fine with that.

Fibre optic not available for me. I'm pretty rural

Back