AR9...thoughts?

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
Anything thoughts on pistol caliber carbines? Practical purchase? Waste of money? Put on your big boy pants and buy an AR15 or AR10?

Anything thoughts on pistol caliber carbines? Practical purchase? Waste of money? Put on your big boy pants and buy an AR15 or AR10?

Mostly toys imo. But you can get them reliably running very short barrels. Pair that with a suppressor and you have a nice subsonic(heavier rounds) quiet gun.

Personally I'd rather go 300 blk and slightly longer barrel.

CZ scorpions rather tickle my fancy as well.

Now the one PCC that I would definitely consider buying is the Noveske 10mm pdw, code named "the fucker upper".

39170041454_82774e5351_o.jpg

28039659119_8d9a95592e_k.jpg

Thank you your thoughts. I'll admit there's something appealing about running the same ammo in your rifle and pistol. For a home defense rifle or SHTF rifle that's kind of appealing.

Thank you your thoughts. I'll admit there's something appealing about running the same ammo in your rifle and pistol. For a home defense rifle or SHTF rifle that's kind of appealing.

Especially if you have a glock and the AR9 runs glock mags.

9mm Underwood +P+ 124 or 147gr speer gold dots would be nasty in a PCC.

Especially if you have a glock and the AR9 runs glock mags.

9mm Underwood +P+ 124 or 147gr speer gold dots would be nasty in a PCC.
30rd glock mag in one's of those...yeah, that might work. Or a 50rd, 100rd drum for your SHTF load out.

Used to think it was kinda whatever. Now I think they're a great idea. Much better than slapping a stock and a VFG on a pistol. I've pondered an AR15 in 9mm but haven't done it yet. Will say though that the recently acquired Kriss Vector in 9mm is tits to shoot at the range. And if that caliber out of a pistol is good enough for home defense then it should be good enough out of a carbine.

So if one were going the traditional AR route of 223/556 and wanted to stay under $650 for their 1st AR to see if they even wanted to invest further into AR's are there any recommendations? Specific manufactures to look into or stay away from? See what might be available used in my area on Armslist?

Any recommendations on AR pistols in roughly the same price range?

I'm not ashamed to admit I know little about AR's or the manufactures, but I'm eager to learn.

IMHO, I'm still not totally convinced that a PCC in < .357 Magnum or 10mm serves much more purpose than a range toy...at a range that doesn't let you shoot centrefire rifles (e.g. an indoor, 25 yard or under range with a shitty backstop).

I'd just as soon get a .22LR upper for an AR, if you wanted a cheaper way to shoot an AR.

So if one were going the traditional AR route of 223/556 and wanted to stay under $650 for their 1st AR to see if they even wanted to invest further into AR's are there any recommendations? Specific manufactures to look into or stay away from? See what might be available used in my area on Armslist?

I'm not ashamed to admit I know little about AR's or the manufactures, but I'm eager to learn.

@spamking
@Cubo de Sangre

That's a pretty lean budget imo. Does that price include an optic? Are you looking at wanting irons, irons with a A2 post sight, red dot or a scope on it? I always recommend a trigger upgrade as well.

Normally I would recommend building one. Is that something you would be comfortable with? You'd have to have a couple tools, patience and hopefully YouTube hasn't purged videos. There are plenty of picture heavy build guides online.

A mid length gas system, H buffer, nice trigger and nice muzzle device can pretty much make any rifle feel good, it just needs to be reliable.

You could also do a partial build.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/...d81838.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=AERO+PRECISION

After code MDW this is $523 shipped.

Select a handguard and buttstock of your choice. Can always update a trigger(a must imo) & muzzle device(if necessary or wanted) later. See how it runs(ejection pattern) to see if you need a heavier buffer. Most guns are over gassed from the factory.

@spamking
@Cubo de Sangre

That's a pretty lean budget imo. Does that price include an optic? Are you looking at wanting irons, irons with a A2 post sight, red dot or a scope on it? I always recommend a trigger upgrade as well.

Normally I would recommend building one. Is that something you would be comfortable with? You'd have to have a couple tools, patience and hopefully YouTube hasn't purged videos. There are plenty of picture heavy build guides online.

A mid length gas system, H buffer, nice trigger and nice muzzle device can pretty much make any rifle feel good, it just needs to be reliable.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/oem-mid-length-16-rifle-prod81838.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=AERO+PRECISION

Select a handguard and buttstock of your choice. Can always update a trigger(a must imo) & muzzle device(if necessary or wanted) later. See how it runs(ejection pattern) to see if you need a heavier buffer. Most guns are over gassed from the factory.
No optic
Basic iron sights
Basic trigger

Optics, better iron sights, better trigger, etc are all upgrades down the road. Basically, something decent from the go to start training on and upgrade as time and funds allow.

@spamking
@Cubo de Sangre

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/oem-mid-length-16-rifle-prod81838.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=AERO+PRECISION

Thank you for the insight and the link.

Are you interested in a fixed front sight

coltmoe4.jpg

Or flip up

noveskerecon.jpg

see if they even wanted to invest further into AR's

So the reason I mentioned a trigger, muzzle device, mid length gas, h buffer, etc was for this reason. It makes a big difference imo.

check this out, it already includes mbus iron sights.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...eight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-5165447811.html
just buy a stripped lower and assemble yourself and you are good to go, i ordered mine for a basic fixed mag.
460(w/ shipping) + 85 anderson lower (includes nics background check) + 65 for compmag
my fixed mag build is just under 620 total. it all arrives this weekend except for the lower and will put them together. if you live in a free state and dont have to deal with the compliant bs. you dont have to spend that extra 65 like i did.

in regards to ar9. i have one. its my new favorite range toy. really fun to shoot. i suggest getting one, especially if you have a glock, use a glock compatible ar9.

@spamking
@Cubo de Sangre

Depending on the quality a person is after you can get one fairly cheap and in or around that price range (give or take $50). @Teppodama feel free to run any prices by me if you need an idea as to whether something is a decent price or not. I've got my FFL and access to wholesale prices.

And AR9s are fun . . . I've got one with a 16" barrel and I'm debating on going shorter and adding a pistol brace.

Depending on the quality a person is after you can get one fairly cheap and in or around that price range (give or take $50). @Teppodama feel free to run any prices by me if you need an idea as to whether something is a decent price or not. I've got my FFL and access to wholesale prices.

And AR9s are fun . . . I've got one with a 16" barrel and I'm debating on going shorter and adding a pistol brace.

Yeah I'm not very knowledgeable on the lower budget options tbh. I know Aero is consider great by all especially for the price. I know some have good luck with psa and some have issues.

Go shorter and add a brace.

On the cheap end of things like that I'd be tempted to pick up a Ruger. I think they were $500 not long ago. Really though I'd spend the extra couple hundred and get a Colt 6920. It's the gold standard for basic. Not sure why, but it just seems better than my Stag. Maybe you could find a used one in your price range.

Are you interested in a fixed front sight

coltmoe4.jpg

Or flip up

noveskerecon.jpg

So the reason I mentioned a trigger, muzzle device, mid length gas, h buffer, etc was for this reason. It makes a big difference imo.
Flip up

Thank you for the offer. Most appreciated.

@Teppodama

This guy is joking around a fair bit but a lot of what he says hold true.

As an example you could get a lower and upper from like PSA for like $100 then get a decent barrel on sale and a couple of their "completion" kits and you'd still be under $700

Guys I see shooting Carbines in Pistol Matches are always faster and more accurate than with their pistol. Maybe a 35% increase in speed and hits.

Downside to me is that the pistol caliber carbine uppers always seem more expensive than they should be.

You can get non over penetrating ammo for a 223 for close up also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back