Are kids really getting both physically and mentally weaker every generation?

I won’t speak about the world as a whole, but I will speak about MY world..

Construction.

The newest generation of kids is beyond pussified...

Seem weak ,malnourished and get circles ran Around them by 40-50 years old daily. They lack stamina and proper healthy routine.

3-4 monster energy drinks for breakfast just to get them through to lunch,then they chug more...then by 12:00 there dust.

They all seem to have a lack of focus aswell.

I see there diet and bad habits as there biggest weakness.

I know this isn’t a Ivy League study or anything but I feel construction is a great barometer of generational strength,especially if you’ve done it for 25 years like myself.

As a foreman, my ratio of success for Apprenticship hovers around 20:1 ,it’s that bad...meaning for every twenty kids,one will bring it. The rest will wash out or try and sue for harassment or some shit lol(I partially kid) but it’s really sad...it’s got so bad that our union is literally holding meetings on how to fix this.

This is interesting and helpful. Thanks for sharing.

I would point out, however, some spuriousness. It's not like it used to be, where capable high school graduates are choosing work over college. Now, kids are (whether suited or not) going to college or trade school, unless they are a fuck up or have an in with a career already. So it's natural that construction companies wouldn't be getting the quality of entrants that they used to.

Besides that, I would also presume that kids would be less familiar with, and hardened from, manual labor given that there just aren't as many manual labor positions to gain experience in.

If you start lifting in 7th grade or grew up doing push ups wrestling etc a 200 pound bench is easy for a 9th grader.

For 7th or 8th graders though it’s def decent.
A 200lb bench is pretty impressive for a freshman when you consider that an average sized 15 year old is 5'7" and weighs 123lbs. We maybe had a couple guys that could bench 200lbs on my freshman HS football team. By my Sophomore year, we had lots of guys that were benching over 200lbs.

Most kids that age just simply don't have the bulk to move that type of weight yet even if they started lifting in jr high unless they have some serious natural ability. I started wrestling when I was 6 years old and lifting when I was in 8th grade. I couldn't bench 200lbs until the the end of my sophomore year, and I was pretty damn built for a 130lb kid my age. I remember being able to do 3x3 sets with 225lbs by my senior year after I started filling out a bit. I wrestled at 148 and barely cut my senior year.

200lbs for a freshman seems like a lot to me, but I hear about more kids being this strong now days, so maybe I'm just out of touch.

This is interesting and helpful. Thanks for sharing.

I would point out, however, some spuriousness. It's not like it used to be, where capable high school graduates are choosing work over college. Now, kids are (whether suited or not) going to college or trade school, unless they are a fuck up or have an in with a career already. So it's natural that construction companies wouldn't be getting the quality of entrants that they used to.

Besides that, I would also presume that kids would be less familiar with, and hardened from, manual labor given that there just aren't as many manual labor positions to gain experience in.
Yeah, one of our new recruiting focuses is school job fairs. Where as before we never really recruited. Here’s in Southern California construction is booming,it’s actually higher then pre recession levels. We literally have more work then workers and it’s been great for our contract negotiations,but eventually it will also be our downfall if it doesn’t change...lack of new blood will weaken our market share as well as weaken our collective value in pension,medical insurance negotiations, wage negotiations,etc.

And ultimately when retirement comes for us 40-50 year olds,there will be more pension collectors then people paying into the pension.

In the UK I remember they started offering to pay for people's apprenticeships due to shortages of technical trades. On the other hand though, when people talk about modern generations being weaker...its hard to talk about context. In 3rd world countries some fuckers are putting in 20 hours a week because they have to. If your profession doesnt involve being physical then less chance of the population needing that requirement. Plus in all fairness I live in Texas, and the amount of construction guys with big arms but fucking HUGE bellies is numerous haha
We have our share of big belly’s but on an interesting note, I’ve noticed that alcoholism has drastically dropped in construction here(where a lot of the old timer belly’s came from).. I am union so the drug enforcement is pretty strict compared to most. I notice that construction workers are a lot healthy nowadays , it’s got very strict over the last decade so the days of drinking a six pack at lunch are long gone.
I personally think the rise in safety/drug regulations have had an effect on overall health...it basically not the Wild Wild West anymore...compared to when I got in and it was common to see a guy or to drunk by lunch.

But plumbers, seem to always be fat lol, sorry plumbers.

Yeah, one of our new recruiting focuses is school job fairs. Where as before we never really recruited. Here’s in Southern California construction is booming,it’s actually higher then pre recession levels. We literally have more work then workers and it’s been great for our contract negotiations,but eventually it will also be our downfall if it doesn’t change...lack of new blood will weaken our market share as well as weaken our collective value in pension,medical insurance negotiations, wage negotiations,etc.

And ultimately when retirement comes for us 40-50 year olds,there will be more pension collectors then people paying into the pension.
Easily solved by importing hordes from third world shitholes!

Easily solved by importing hordes from third world shitholes!
Lol, not to be offensive but if there’s one industry that passed that point up decades ago it is construction...

Southern Cali is pretty close to the border, not hard to see who is filling the spots...truthfully,more power to them, they are talking work no one wants and running with it.

I used to be a lot more conservative about immigrant job taking but as the years go by it got harder to justify the stance when the reality was ...

Americans don’t want to work manual labor/trades... they just don’t, I’m union so illegal workers is not a problem for us..our union and employers perform a “life scan” of all potential employment...that shits d.o.j. Status.

Non union is whole different animal though.

I will also add...

I’ve grown to respect and appreciate our immigrants and their problem more over the years..

I’ll take a Mexican immigrant over the sharia fanatics in Europe anyday.

Lol, not to be offensive but if there’s one industry that passed that point up decades ago it is construction...

Southern Cali is pretty close to the border, not hard to see who is filling the spots...truthfully,more power to them, they are talking work no one wants and running with it.

I used to be a lot more conservative about immigrant job taking but as the years go by it got harder to justify the stance when the reality was ...

Americans don’t want to work manual labor/trades... they just don’t, I’m union so illegal workers is not a problem for us..our union and employers perform a “life scan” of all potential employment...that shits d.o.j. Status.

Non union is whole different animal though.

I will also add...

I’ve grown to respect and appreciate our immigrants and their problem more over the years..

I’ll take a Mexican immigrant over the sharia fanatics in Europe anyday.
Errr was/am drunkenly trying to bridge a kinship of working with broken tools.

You hear this all the time, but do you think the average 13 year old boy that grew up in say the the 1950's was tougher than an average kid that age that grew up in the 1980's? Was the average kid that age in the 1980's tougher than the average kid that age now days?

Every generation seems to think the next up and coming generation is nothing but a bunch of pussies, but is there any truth to this? I can't speak for generations past mine, but as someone that grew up in the 80's and early 90's, I can say without a doubt that the average kid was in better physical shape before the gaming and information age. We played some Nintendo, and I do remember AOL, but most kids at least in the 1980's spent the majority of their time outside. Add to this that kids ate much better back then. Their was always a few fat kids in every classroom in school, but it wasn't like it is today where about a 3rd of the kids are soft.

Fighting and aggression was more acceptable back then too. You weren't as protected from bullies, and it was still somewhat acceptable for a male teacher or coach to tell you to stick up for yourself. You weren't as babied, and kids in general were given more responsibility, so I think kids were mentally a little tougher on average 30 years ago too.

Maybe this all could be countered with the fact that kids are slightly bigger these days. The kids that actually do engage in sports seem to be getting bigger faster, and stronger. I look at some of the times and marks at the HS state track meets, and they're more impressive. I see more kids that are soft, but I also see more kids that are jacked at a young age. I don't remember seeing too many 8th or 9th graders that could bench press 200lbs, but at my nephew's middle school, there are like 10 guys on the 200lb board. One of them is putting up 260lbs at 15 years old and my nephew says the kid is only like 170lbs. That's crazy.

So what do you think? Are kids on the AVERAGE getting weaker, or is it just a myth?

On one hand, my own perspective on this question could be invalidated by the fact that I have two athletic boys who in 2018 - as you’ve identified - outclass anything I could have achieved when I was a child. On the other hand, there are so many more boys engaging in sports at this level, that my sons’ competencies aren’t particularly uncommon - my older son’s hockey club has 750 travel skaters in our Chicago suburb!

My sense is that what you are picking up on is not so much a softening of the public as it is an acceleration of inequality - an increase in disparity between the haves and the have nots. We see this in economics as well and, make no mistake, it is a problem that we will all have to deal with before long.

So have people where you are from always dreamed of being manual laborers for a living? Mentally and emotionally weaker-HIGHEST IQs of any generation. As for criticism or easily offended...dont know who youre measuring that among the millions of citizens of the world. Rarely raise their voice or get rowdy- Protestors of guns in schools are newest examples? protestors against Iraq an earlier one?

Noone said anyone WANTS to do manual labor snowflake. But ones ability to do so is definitely a measure of toughness and kids today are just not conditioned to do so.

And as far as raising voice and getting rowdy I meant how they interact with each other. And every generation has done a walkout for some reason or another...it’s hardly a tough act.

Your post is just a thorough failure

Noone said anyone WANTS to do manual labor snowflake. But ones ability to do so is definitely a measure of toughness and kids today are just not conditioned to do so.

And as far as raising voice and getting rowdy I meant how they interact with each other. And every generation has done a walkout for some reason or another...it’s hardly a tough act.

Your post is just a thorough failure

So literally everything is based on your opinion rather than fact, got ya 'snowflake'.

A 200lb bench is pretty impressive for a freshman when you consider that an average sized 15 year old is 5'7" and weighs 123lbs. We maybe had a couple guys that could bench 200lbs on my freshman HS football team. By my Sophomore year, we had lots of guys that were benching over 200lbs.

Most kids that age just simply don't have the bulk to move that type of weight yet even if they started lifting in jr high unless they have some serious natural ability. I started wrestling when I was 6 years old and lifting when I was in 8th grade. I couldn't bench 200lbs until the the end of my sophomore year, and I was pretty damn built for a 130lb kid my age. I remember being able to do 3x3 sets with 225lbs by my senior year after I started filling out a bit. I wrestled at 148 and barely cut my senior year.

200lbs for a freshman seems like a lot to me, but I hear about more kids being this strong now days, so maybe I'm just out of touch.

Depends a bit on where you live. In Colorado my freshman offensive line averaged 300 lbs. per starter. It helped our center was 6"3 340lbs. but I was the smallest at 6'0 260 lbs.

My offensive line on varsity when I was in 10th grade in western Washington state averaged 250lbs.

About the same amount of students at both schools.

You hear this all the time, but do you think the average 13 year old boy that grew up in say the the 1950's was tougher than an average kid that age that grew up in the 1980's? Was the average kid that age in the 1980's tougher than the average kid that age now days?

Every generation seems to think the next up and coming generation is nothing but a bunch of pussies, but is there any truth to this? I can't speak for generations past mine, but as someone that grew up in the 80's and early 90's, I can say without a doubt that the average kid was in better physical shape before the gaming and information age. We played some Nintendo, and I do remember AOL, but most kids at least in the 1980's spent the majority of their time outside. Add to this that kids ate much better back then. Their was always a few fat kids in every classroom in school, but it wasn't like it is today where about a 3rd of the kids are soft.

Fighting and aggression was more acceptable back then too. You weren't as protected from bullies, and it was still somewhat acceptable for a male teacher or coach to tell you to stick up for yourself. You weren't as babied, and kids in general were given more responsibility, so I think kids were mentally a little tougher on average 30 years ago too.

Maybe this all could be countered with the fact that kids are slightly bigger these days. The kids that actually do engage in sports seem to be getting bigger faster, and stronger. I look at some of the times and marks at the HS state track meets, and they're more impressive. I see more kids that are soft, but I also see more kids that are jacked at a young age. I don't remember seeing too many 8th or 9th graders that could bench press 200lbs, but at my nephew's middle school, there are like 10 guys on the 200lb board. One of them is putting up 260lbs at 15 years old and my nephew says the kid is only like 170lbs. That's crazy.

So what do you think? Are kids on the AVERAGE getting weaker, or is it just a myth?

50s kids are more diciplined though but they get bullied hard by 80s kids.

The idea that they are tougher is subjective. That is oldmanisms

Depends a bit on where you live. In Colorado my freshman offensive line averaged 300 lbs. per starter. It helped our center was 6"3 340lbs. but I was the smallest at 6'0 260 lbs.

My offensive line on varsity when I was in 10th grade in western Washington state averaged 250lbs.

About the same amount of students at both schools.

That's crazy

My freshman offensive line probably averaged less than 200lbs per starter. We had one guy that was like 240lbs that we only got 2 quarters a game because they used his other 3 quarters of eligibility for varsity. He ended up being like 300lbs senior year. He got a full ride to Arizona State, but he never started.

As society advances, culture will become more complacent because life is easier. So yes the people will be weak. Until something cataclysmic happens, and ruins society, and the culture. The people are forced to become hard, and tough to regain what they once had.

I've heard that skilled labor in California is at 70% of what it needs to be. I have friends from high school that do HVAC that do just great for themselves. There are days I wish I had gone into.

okay let me remind you that this generation has the largest percentage that are to fat to join the army

You give me 10000 Mexican farm hands that can't run or bench press and I will turn 95% into Marines

You give me 10000 American fat bodies that can all bench 200 lbs most won't make it a day into 29 Palms in this man's Marine Corps before they get heat stroke and I am not even joking around about that issue.

We literally have an invading army from the South and instead of repelling them our people are saying ya we need you because we are literally to fat to do are own labor.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/opinions/costello-america-fat/
Soon, America will be too fat to fight.

Forget about rampant diabetes, heart attacks and joint problems -- the scariest consequence arising out of our losing battle with the bulge is the safety of our country.
In about five years, so many young Americans will be grossly overweight that the military will be unable to recruit enough qualified soldiers. That alarming forecast comes from Maj, Gen. Allen Batschelet, who is in charge of U.S. Army Recruiting Command.

Obesity, he told me, "is becoming a national security issue."
I was so taken aback by Batschelet's statement that I felt the need to press him. Come on! Obesity? A national security crisis? The General didn't blink. "In my view, yes."
140926155338-carol-costello-profile-image-medium-plus-169.jpg

Of the 195,000 young men and women who signed up to fight for our country, only 72,000 qualified. Some didn't make the cut because they had a criminal background, or a lack of education, or too many tattoos. But a full 10% didn't qualify because they were overweight.
Before you accuse me of sensationalizing, it's that 10% figure that worries General Batschelet the most.
"The obesity issue is the most troubling because the trend is going in the wrong direction," he said. "We think by 2020 it could be as high as 50%, which mean only 2 in 10 would qualify to join the Army." He paused. "It's a sad testament to who we are as a society right now."
The problem is so worrisome for the Army that recruiters have become fitness coaches, like the trainers on the NBC show, "The Biggest Loser."
Yes, your tax dollars pay for Army recruiters to play Dolvett Quince or Jillian Michaels to whip could-be recruits into shape with the hope they can diet and exercise their way to become real recruits. If they lose enough weight, they're sent to boot camp. Some make it; many don't. But, General Batschelet told me the Army must try.
"We are the premier leader on personal development in the world," he told me. "We want to see you grow and become a leader. That is a great strength in our Army."
Except the Army never considered the type of growth it's now contending with. Nowadays "personal development" means working on both character and ... girth. The general, along with so many others in this country, is struggling with why so many Americans, despite all the warnings, continue to eat too much and exercise too little.
I have a theory. It ain't pretty. But it's got to be true: We just don't care.
"The acceptance of obesity is prevalent," according to Claire Putnam, an obstetrician and gynecologist who believes obesity is a national crisis right now. "When you look around you, 70% of adults are overweight or obese. It's seems normal," she said.
Just look at the numbers: More than one-third of U.S. adults are obese. Seventeen percent of all children and adolescents in the U.S. are obese. That's triple the rate from just a generation ago.
So, maybe we should face the fact that we've grown comfortable with our girth. It is crystal clear we haven't the foggiest idea of who needs to lose weight and who doesn't.
Just the other day, Twitter trolls scolded the singer, Pink, for gaining weight. Pink is not remotely fat. Neither is Selena Gomez, haters. Or Britney Spears, hecklers.

130109075635-change-space-woman-yoga-stretch-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Photos: Revamp your space for weight loss success

130109075635-change-space-woman-yoga-stretch-topics.jpg

130107050612-woman-organizing-fridge-topics.jpg

130107042437-kitchen-countertops-clean-topics.jpg

130107042650-smartphone-tv-laptop-man-topics.jpg

130107043130-woman-talking-phone-office-topics.jpg

130107043553-office-donuts-bagels-workers-meeting-topics.jpg

130110092642-eating-fast-food-car-driving-topics.jpg

130107044612-gym-clothes-bag-sneakers-topics.jpg

If 70% of us are overweight in this country, why are there so many willing to fat-shame people who are not remotely obese? Maybe it's easier to criticize others for carrying extra weight than to admit we have a weight problem ourselves. Because it is abundantly clear we are wallowing in denial.
Dr. Putnam points to one of Kaiser Permanante's medical questionnaires. You know, the paperwork patients are asked to fill out before they see the doctor. There is actually a box on the form that allows the patient to "opt out of talking about obesity." Some patients refuse to step on the scale.
"You want to be sensitive to that patient," Putnam told me. "You don't want to nag. But, doctors need to step in and say we need to fix this."
CNN's chief medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, agrees with Putnam. "Perceptions of weight are a big part of the problem," he said to me. "If a person is overweight -- as difficult as it is -- they ought to be told. You know, this issue reminds me of the issue with concussions. We should call them what they really are: a brain injury, not 'getting your bell rung.' In the same vein, we should tell people who are overweight or obese that, clinically, they're 'overweight' or 'obese' and at risk for just about every chronic disease in the book."
In other words, chubby is not the proper way to describe a person who is obese. Just like "fat" is not the proper term for Pink or Selena Gomez. And, yes, semantics matter. According to the CDC, 81% of overweight boys and 71% of overweight girls believe they are just the right weight.
We've clearly lost our perspective on what's normal when it comes to a healthy weight. So much so it's becoming a national security problem.
So what will it take? The answer cannot be the U.S Army.

Yeah, Flynn has discussed this. It's not measuring computing power--we're getting better at logic and abstract reasoning because the modern world calls for that stuff more.

And yet, despite the Flynn effect over the last century our brain mass over the last 10,000 years has decreased.

The literature has iq as being about 80 percent genes 20 environment

The 20th century increase is allegedly a whole of a lot more than 20% so both can't be true. .

Back