Are you happy with where MMA is and going?

Tbh I never thought the ufc style rankings & belt system works for mma. Guys get hurt too much etc. Tournament to tournament + world rankings more like professional tennis is set up works better imo

I think the direction the UFC has gone in the last 10 years or so has meant that MMA is/will be about 60% of what it could be. Mainly due to being overly controlling, cheap, short sighted, unimaginative, and poorly run. This is from a fan perspective.

I'm sure whatever the UFC is doing is working just fine according to the WME shareholders. They only care about short-term profits and they control what goes down.

As the premier MMA organization by a long shot, the UFC dictates where MMA is going unfortunately. I wish UFC was more like hockey/NFL/basketball in terms of how it is run/promoted/treats players.

At this point, the sport isn't going anywhere. MMA will exist, in some fashion or another, basically forever. So the path the UFC is taking, whatever. If they go under, someday, whatever. The sport isn't the UFC, and if they disappear, another org will take its place. There's no PRIDE or Strikeforce or Sekgoku, etc., but all of the mid-majors today are still all putting on quality events, for their appropriate audiences. RIZIN puts on shows for a Japanese audience, they're not focused on the rest of us, at this stage, maybe never really will be. PRIDE itself was never really meant for a Western audience, they were an org who put on events for a Japanese audience, who happened to have a lot of the best fighters, bc they could pay them. They were for the West about as much as the UFC is for a Japanese audience, residually, not remotely their main focus (at least until they knew they were in trouble, bc their actual audience abandoned them). But the quality of RIZIN's shows is generally top notch, the events are almost always fun, and I'd rather watch a fight with less rules, something closer to an actual fight, meaning the names on the cards don't really matter so much. I usually find that, when I watch those "no name" cards, I start remembering names, bc me having heard of a fighter or not isn't actually the benchmark for whether or not they're good, it's actually whether they are good or not. Normally, when they're good, I remember their name, regardless of where they're fighting. And it's the same for all of the mid-majors of today, ONE and KSW and ACA and ARES and LUX, etc., etc., all have banger cards with legit talent, people simply don't watch, so they aren't aware.

Yeah, life is OK, in the MMA-sphere. Fights are gonna be fought, canvases will be eaten, necks will be choked, no matter what goes on with the UFC.

Yeah why not, plenty of UFC fight cards plus plenty of competition, can't complain too much as a fan.

no, but it has mothering to do with wages or level of competition.

i am sick of how the ufc keeps indulging “champions” in their quests to pad their legacies. specifically, i’m referring to “champ-champ” fights, and special requests for meaningless money fights (e.g., usman fighting masvidal twice). the advent of this “legacy diva era” can be roughly traced to conor mcgregor, though he wasn’t the first tbf. but the problem still persists today. a prime example is when they let izzy fight jan. why? because they perceived jan as weak. izzy saw a shortcut to greatness by becoming a 2-division champ, and ufc was happy to indulge him with an immediate title shot. what was the point of that except padding izzy’s legacy? ufc should have told him “no izzy, if you want to be great, you need to beat anderson’s record.” lots of examples of the ufc allowing crap like this to hold up divisions and overall detracting from the legitimacy of the titles.

it hurts to say this, because poatan is my favorite active fighter, but the fact that he’s a 2-division champ already kinda speaks lowly of the state of things. he’s a guy with big weaknesses, or areas that are largely untested, but ufc found a way to get him in as a double champ. again, i like poatan, but i have serious doubts that he’s actually the best fighter at either mw or lhw. and i think he probably does too, which is why we’ll definitely see izzy get another mw shot before ankalaev gets his.

that’s how ufc is operating these days. they’re just too eager to assist fighters in these “legacy” fights that don’t really tell us much about who’s the best. that’s why we’ll continue to see fighters promptly retire “undefeated” after a few defenses. contrast that with the early to mid 2010’s, where the greats fought every contender until we, the fans, were tired of it. those were the days. i wish they’d come back.

post pride era-2013 was the golden age for me, i don't expect it to ever be replicated it was just a time and place thing. a lot of billionaires throwing money into new promotions, big time JMMA going strong with SRC and DREAM. Strikeforce blowing up and bjorn's bellator. MMA was finally easily accessible as well everything was either streamed or on HDNet.

There's still good fights now but overall it feels stale, it's just hard to get excited for most of these cards.

Love it, so many good promotions out there and mostly pretty easy to catch. As well as UFC you've got ACA, KSW, RIZIN, LFA, Cage Warriors, RCC, Oktagon etc regularly putting on great shows.

Just wish PFL could make itself more watchable and ONE would put more MMA fights on.

You’re right Lemur you’re a really chill dude.

How you doing btw I know I haven’t been too active on this forum lately.

Just got over my first time having Covid...it sucked lol.

You been on another platform sir?

This stretch leading up to 300 looks REALLY good. And there’s already signs that it’ll continue into international fight weekend.

It’s crazy to think that 10 years ago is 2014 - to me it feels recent. Ronda got KTFO 9 years ago against Holm. I started watching MMA early 2000s, only 7 years after UFC 1. But by then, it was nothing like those early UFC - it already felt like a sport and we had Pride and K-1 doing really well.

What’s wrong with MMA now is the complete lack of competition, and the abundance of shitty fighters on every single cars every single week. UFC on FOX was still OK, but the ESPN deal is killing it. There aren’t enough fighters, or good fighters aren’t fighting frequently enough, to run events almost every week. UFC 300 is shaping up to be a good PPV but nothing like UFC 100 or an average PPV from 10 years ago. It was simply so, so much more stacked with elite talent.

I've enjoyed it for almost thirty years now. It changes often and I am still enjoying it quite a bit.

I don’t get too excited about mma and most of the time I don’t even care who wins a fight. I just enjoy watching it without being personally invested too much. I still watch almost every UFC and Glory card. Plus I watch whatever is on.
Nowadays you have TV channels with fighting sports 24/7. If There’s no mma or kickboxing, I watch boxing and wrestling. Even submission grappling. It’s not even about skill levels, many times I watch regional “talent”. As long as I have time and it’s not boring, I’ll watch.
So, all in all, it’s a good time to be alive, although I still miss Pride and the old K-1.

Just got over my first time having Covid...it sucked lol.

You been on another platform sir?
Nah I’ve just been working on getting /fit/ and stuff like that. Counting calories is a science that I’m terrible at.

Like I can have a skinless chicken breast and that’s like 80% of my fat and sodium for a day lmao.

Im sorry you got COVID man that sucks hopefully you got some time to watch some fights while you were ill.

I think we're missing out on some real potential talents for the spott because the pay is so sh*t

FUCK NO

UFC AND THE TASTELESS LOW CLASS TRAILER TRASH CLOWN TUMORS THAT RUN IT HAVE COMPLETELY RUINED MMA

This is just the evolution of the sport.

There used to be
- Less PPVs
- fighters made less money, so they fought more often
- Fighter's skillsets were more diverse, so the fights often had an interesting dynamic, wrestler vs striker etc. Most fighters had a vulnerability.
- There were fewer guys at the top and given all of the above, it meant that you could look forward to certain fighters fighting every few months, and get emotionally invested.
Fighters like Randy or GSP, had such good runs, that you could follow right through. GSP's rivalry with Hughes was one of the best things I remember from the UFC, watching GSP come through, get the shot, lose, and then have years of listening to Hughes' sht and bullying, until he got his revenge. The scene in TUF when Hughes is laughing at GSP at dinner, and Serra turns to GSP and says something like 'that guy's a dick, I hope you beat that guy'.

The difference now is
- there are cards nearly every week
- the top name fighters make good money, so they fight once a year, or in the case of Jones/Connor hardly ever.
- MMA gyms have evolved and now most of the fighters have similar skillsets. It's no longer a wrestler vs a striker, or a BJJ guy. They're all MMA fighters, and although the skillset is far better, the fights are mostly poorer for it in terms of emotional engagement. The vulnerabilities have gone.

The more money you get in combat sports, the less people will fight.

Nah I’ve just been working on getting /fit/ and stuff like that. Counting calories is a science that I’m terrible at.

Like I can have a skinless chicken breast and that’s like 80% of my fat and sodium for a day lmao.

Im sorry you got COVID man that sucks hopefully you got some time to watch some fights while you were ill.

I slept a ton over 2 weeks, felt like I died and came back every time I woke up lol.

Counting calories is easy if you just eat more veggies than meat sir.
Mix your veggies, like cauliflower and green beans...then change those 2 the next meal.

Make sure you eat more veggies each meal, you'll be good.
Do some fruit after a workout.

It’s crazy to think that 10 years ago is 2014 - to me it feels recent. Ronda got KTFO 9 years ago against Holm. I started watching MMA early 2000s, only 7 years after UFC 1. But by then, it was nothing like those early UFC - it already felt like a sport and we had Pride and K-1 doing really well.

What’s wrong with MMA now is the complete lack of competition, and the abundance of shitty fighters on every single cars every single week. UFC on FOX was still OK, but the ESPN deal is killing it. There aren’t enough fighters, or good fighters aren’t fighting frequently enough, to run events almost every week. UFC 300 is shaping up to be a good PPV but nothing like UFC 100 or an average PPV from 10 years ago. It was simply so, so much more stacked with elite talent.

It feels very recent to me as well. Does time 'pass by quicker' these days or is it because we're aging? I'm 34, how old are you?

Back