Are you ok with the "WWE"-esque take on promoting/presenting fights ?

dontlaugh

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The long entrances, celebrities coming out with fighters, the promos leading up to the event (which have been better than ever in the last couple months) hyping the fight up as if it's Wrestlemania ?

Pride did that and it worked well for them but it seems american fans don't like mixing MMA with Pro wrestling much (especially after the CM Punk disaster). Boxing also has that kind of "show" for some fighters. Would you be ok with it or do you rather have it simple and "raw" with dudes just walking out mean mugging everyone and getting to the fight asap ?

I don't love it.

But it also doesn't bother me that much. As long as the fights are good, I'm happy. And the fights have been pretty damn good lately. They can do whatever they feel is necessary to promote them to the casuals and try and grow the sport.

I'm ok with it as long as it's not overshadowing the real belts. Which is hard to balance...

Otherwise I like me some drama. Real belt + quality drama is the best case scenario.

This hasn't been a proper competition among top competitors for a long time. Just another step in the wrong direction.

The Rock thing was cool.

Their mistake after The Rock came out was switching to a Boring 5 minute main event promo. Should have followed the Rocks momentum.

Yes
The fights themselves are enough for me
Sell it however you want
I don't care

I like it. This is all for our entertainment anyways

The more theatrical it is, the better. Pride was the best because of that

I feel that it's an absolute joke and it makes a mockery of the sport.

It's the entertainment business at the end of the day.

Getting The Rock to do that was a huge win for the UFC. Biggest movie star on the planet at the moment.

All the extra stuff doesn't bother me as long as the fights deliver.

Yes. It adds some spectacle and theatricality to it, and what's wrong with that? The fights themselves are still real. Unless or until the UFC start scripting fights the way WWE does, then I don't see the problem

There are bigger issues than the presentation.

In saying that, it's cyclical. About 10-15 years ago (think UFC 40 to mid 50s roughly I think) they had similar entrances, or at least as much as the budget would allow. Dana White said they got rid of the ramp (which I actually like) because it was a bit too pro wrestling and they wanted to get away from it.

The guys that've been following the sport forever still love the old Pride fighter introductions and entrances. Takada in a mawashi on the taiko drums anyone?

If you're crying about the lead up to fights you should find a sport more suited to sissies.

Getting The Rock to do that was a huge win for the UFC. Bigg
I really don't get how the rock is considered the biggest actor in hollywood. Even though I see this thrown around all the time.

I don't think I have ever saw a movie with the rock.

And I never see any movies with him on being talked about or praised anywhere.

Last edited:
I like it for the main events or co-main events, if there's a real storyline there.

If they made a promo for Colby v Masvidal, it would be amazing.

Personally I hate it.

I saw Gastelum with that Manlet Triple C in a TV promo whee Kelvin says something along the lines of, bend the knee to K.Gee. seriously?? - vomits.

Thats how fights are promoted.
Even if you never ever watch pro wrestling its going to come out like that.
It will look similar.
The people bitching are still watching. Familiarity breeds contempt. No matter what way its done?its either too little or too much.

I thinl the ufc does a good job of pleasing their fans,despite their constant complaining.

I feel that it's an absolute joke and it makes a mockery of the sport.
Hahaha

No music or lights please.

Do NOT promote the fight. Embarassing.

I really don't get this. Even though I see this thrown around all the time.

I don't think I have ever saw a movie with the rock.

And I never see any movies with him on being talked about or praised anywhere.

But you've heard about every single one of his movies unless you've been living under a rock. I don't watch his movies because I'm not a fan of big dumb action movies but they are still popular.

I personally hate the current look/style of the UFC. But they gotta do what they gotta do to pull in viewers.

Back