Are you ok with the "WWE"-esque take on promoting/presenting fights ?

I think the BMF fight was the perfect example of where the UFC is going. You had Roberto Duran, a legit all time great, and certified BMF, a guy who fought in 5 decades. On the other hand, you have the Rock, a roided up WWE wrestler.

Of course the WW- UFC included the Rock instead of Duran. Because Miami, and Roberto Duran just isn't popular there, like at all.

I really don't get this. Even though I see this thrown around all the time.

I don't think I have ever saw a movie with the rock.

And I never see any movies with him on being talked about or praised anywhere.
160 million Instagram followers and he posted about UFC 244 a few times on social media.

That's a looooot of eyeballs that were made aware of UFC 244 cause of those posts.

Big W for the UFC.

160 million Instagram followers and he posted about UFC 244 a few times on social media.

That's a looooot of eyeballs that were made aware of UFC 244 cause of those posts.

Big W for the UFC.
Im in no way shape or form arguing against that.

Im talking off topic. Forget the UFC.

I dont see how he is the most popular actor in hollywood. He might be the most popular person that works in hollywood movies.

If you get what im saying.

I have never heard anyone say live or online "shit, new rock movie! cant wait! The rock's on it, so you know its gonna be good!"

I thought Roberto Duran walking out with Masvidal was brilliant . The BMF belt, The Rock, and other WWE-esque promotion I could do without.

I really don't get this. Even though I see this thrown around all the time.

I don't think I have ever saw a movie with the rock.

And I never see any movies with him on being talked about or praised anywhere.

He's one of the biggest movie stars in the world and has a huge social media following, he brings a lot of eyes to the show.

What's not to get?

Every sport has a layer of entertainment.

I don't see why not.

You're kidding yourself if you think combat sports was ever not based on a "pro-wrestling" style approach

I mean there are fireworks, cheerleaders, singers and all that shit in every sport. Why can't we have a little bit of theatrics in MMA ?

And in MMA, because it's a man-to-man sport where people are directly opposed, the theatrics live right through them, and that sometimes shows itself with hostility. It's like in other sports, some matches are more physical than others. That's how the rivalry shows. In MMA, they're already being physical, so the rivalry shows through talking shit sometimes

Years ago when I was a bit more naive and viewed MMA a legit sport, it probably would have bothered me. But once you acknowledge MMA as the carny freak show it is, it's all good in the hood.

Yes
The fights themselves are enough for me
Sell it however you want
I don't care

My thoughts exactly! They don't need to sell em to me! I'm already all the way in. Let them do what they gotta do.

You guys say you hate the theatrics, but yet shit on people like Demetrius Johnson, Usman, Stipe, anderson etc. For being boring. You people don't know what you want
MMA fans kinda suck. Everyone was an overrated can crusher and WWE blah blah boring blah blah who the fook is that guy

I don't see this being a trend in the near term. Very few cards allow for this type of hype, and I think 244 fell into that category. Masdival is white hot. Diaz prints money. NYC. MSG. BMF Belt. A veritable jambalaya of hype (deserved) that allowed for the presentation to seem more contrived. I don't see a problem with it. When it comes down to it, the presentation has always been corny, i.e....the early-early days had gorilla position/pro wrestling-style pre-match interviews, then we had the gladiator bullshit for years. That was the norm, and it was cringe. So I don't know why folks get up in arms over the Rock unleashing his shtick. It's always been this way.

BTW, I have lurked for probably 15 years, on and off. And I just wasted my first comment on a Koscheck clothing line thread.

I think all varieties of entrances can be great. Frankie sprinting to the cage is perfect. Israel entering with background dancers was fun. Ronda mean-mugging to the cage with Joan Jett playing was fitting. BJ entering to the sweet sounds of Bruddah Iz was awesome. Royce coming out with the Gracie train was iconic.

Any entrance can be great as long as it's authentic to the fighter.

I don't see this being a trend in the near term. Very few cards allow for this type of hype, and I think 244 fell into that category. Masdival is white hot. Diaz prints money. NYC. MSG. BMF Belt. A veritable jambalaya of hype (deserved) that allowed for the presentation to seem more contrived. I don't see a problem with it. When it comes down to it, the presentation has always been corny, i.e....the early-early days had gorilla position/pro wrestling-style pre-match interviews, then we had the gladiator bullshit for years. That was the norm, and it was cringe. So I don't know why folks get up in arms over the Rock unleashing his shtick. It's always been this way.

BTW, I have lurked for probably 15 years, on and off. And I just wasted my first comment on a Koscheck clothing line thread.
Solid second post.

i like it alot better. I wish they'd get rid of the segments where they show fighters in a empty room just punching air.. they always look so bored and uncharacteristic

Let me say that I'll tolerate this type of promotion vs

another MMA vs Boxer

bullshit fight

The long entrances, celebrities coming out with fighters, the promos leading up to the event (which have been better than ever in the last couple months) hyping the fight up as if it's Wrestlemania ?

Pride did that and it worked well for them but it seems american fans don't like mixing MMA with Pro wrestling much (especially after the CM Punk disaster). Boxing also has that kind of "show" for some fighters. Would you be ok with it or do you rather have it simple and "raw" with dudes just walking out mean mugging everyone and getting to the fight asap ?
Not ok with it. Not ok with the Rock. Not ok with BMF belt (really NOB belt) Number One Bullshit. Glad Jorge won since he's a real contender who has fought real competition. Nate had a good win against Pettis but Nate did what he does against the top fighters. Just have the best fight the best and you don't need the bells and whistles. Catering to the casuals ruins the sport. The deal with ESPN will keep this moving in the wrong direction. ESPN/Disney is very bad for sports.

I grew up a pro-wrestling fan so I’m all for WWE stuff.

But I also appreciate the serious side from TMA background.

I don't think the UFC has a similar presentation to the WWE at all. TBH I think a lot of this is people who have never watched WWE attributing all the things they don't like about the UFC to the WWE.

Back