Are you surprised about the 49ers?

Nope. Was rooting in gut for them for Purdy and CMC, but knew KC too complete, tested, capable.

San Fran did a helluva job first half but like so many others, were unable to contain the 2nd half from hell. Both D's shone so many times, was a fantastic game imo.

Na she put the team on her back and carried them to a win.
If you mean she bought the quarterback a 20,000 dollar coat from an exclusive designer you could say she carried him on her back and his wife.

I'm not surprised.....but don't be dumb.....the Niners were a fantastic team this year. They were loaded with talent all around. I just don't trust Shanny and I never bet against Mahomes.

It’s football. Quarterback is the most important position in the team. One guy is a HOF first ballot the other guy is Brock Purdy.

Yes, that difference gets heavily exaggerated in the playoffs and Superbowl. I knew it was bad for Purdy when he was talking to Steve Young saying that with all the talent he is not that important to the team and just needs to step back and throw the ball.

Yes, that difference gets heavily exaggerated in the playoffs and Superbowl. I knew it was bad for Purdy when he was talking to Steve Young saying that with all the talent he is not that important to the team and just needs to step back and throw the ball.
I knew it was bad when the Niners let a wideout throw McCaffery a TD pass

The Niners lost the game when the punt went off the back heel of one of their special teams blockers that no one has ever heard of.

That happens about once every few years and for them it happened during the most important game of most of their lives.

Missed game winning FG after TD, fumbled ball on punt return causing a TD, Purdy missed wide open Jennings in the end zone, DC ran prevent defense which allowed Mahomes to get down the field in less than 2 mins. Pass the ball on 3rd and 4th down with 2 mins left in the game resulting in incomplete pass and no time going off the clock.

I'd say the 49ers loss that game way more than KC won that game.
The blocked extra point wouldn't have been a game winner. It would have altered what the Chiefs had to do at the end of regulation, forcing them to go for a touchdown.

Not surprised. I really wanted them to win bit had a feeling that the Chiefs would come back. It was like the old Jets teams I was always waiting for something to go wrong.

49ers were honestly never that good. We can't question that considering that had all the time in the world to put the game in away
Nope... not surprised at all. They're a fatally flawed team - a front runner that will beat tons of other teams but when it comes down to it, it's nearly impossible to win a SB with a middling QB unless they have the game of their life. That SB was a bit of a referrendum on the entire debate that's been going on in football: build a team around a great QB, or build a great team around a so-so QB. The former is the recipe but owners and coaches hate it because of the money tied up in that one position.

Personally, if I were to take over a team, I'd draft QB after QB high up until I found a true stud. You trade the other QBs over time as we have seen teams falling all over themselves tossing 2nd and 3rd round picks for unproven high first round draft picks. Once you have your guy, you can determine the offensive scheme and the right players to surround him with.

They should have lost to both Green Bay and Detroit, shit was bound to catch up with them eventually.

True, but Raven's should have beat the Chiefs. As someone said before there was no one team that was above all. You culd even argue without the punt fumble the chiefs don't make a comeback.

All teams felt like they were getting lucky to advance more than being dominant.

Nope... not surprised at all. They're a fatally flawed team - a front runner that will beat tons of other teams but when it comes down to it, it's nearly impossible to win a SB with a middling QB unless they have the game of their life. That SB was a bit of a referrendum on the entire debate that's been going on in football: build a team around a great QB, or build a great team around a so-so QB. The former is the recipe but owners and coaches hate it because of the money tied up in that one position.

Personally, if I were to take over a team, I'd draft QB after QB high up until I found a true stud. You trade the other QBs over time as we have seen teams falling all over themselves tossing 2nd and 3rd round picks for unproven high first round draft picks. Once you have your guy, you can determine the offensive scheme and the right players to surround him with.
Purdy far from middling . He was in MVP running all year and isn’t far removed from being a rookie . He’s in top 5 in league in all kinds of stats. Your idea of middling is ridiculous. .

Whats next for the niners? They seem to have guys hitting free agency while having to consider extensions to others. Heard on sports talk radio that Samuel needs to restructure his contract considering the injuries are piling up and they have Ayuk

Purdy far from middling . He was in MVP running all year and isn’t far removed from being a rookie . He’s in top 5 in league in all kinds of stats. Your idea of middling is ridiculous. .
Oh please with the MVP chatter... something like half his passes were at the line of scrimmage or within 3 yards. He's not that good. The eye test is more than enough - that guy has to have a super human moment to win a big game like that. They were pretty lucky to get past GB and Detroit TBH. That team runs its offense through McCaffrey for a reason. In the GB as an example, I can count only 4 passes he completed beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage - 4/9 in fact. His stats are wildly inflated by that and the YAC his receivers get. He's hardly any better than Jimmy G before he got hurt and we see what he now is without half a dozen pro-bowl calibur weapons around him.

I am a firm believer if Purdy would have not got hurt in the NFC championship game against the eagles the Niners would have won. They would have subsequently get blown out by the Chiefs. The niners are on their way of being today's Buffalo bills. They have lucked out by injury. Or else Shanahan would have 3 superbowl losses as head coach

Oh please with the MVP chatter... something like half his passes were at the line of scrimmage or within 3 yards. He's not that good. The eye test is more than enough - that guy has to have a super human moment to win a big game like that. They were pretty lucky to get past GB and Detroit TBH. That team runs its offense through McCaffrey for a reason. In the GB as an example, I can count only 4 passes he completed beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage - 4/9 in fact. His stats are wildly inflated by that and the YAC his receivers get. He's hardly any better than Jimmy G before he got hurt and we see what he now is without half a dozen pro-bowl calibur weapons around him.

You are confusing Purdy and Jimmy G. This article is from Dec 12th but is still relevant.

Purdy is third in the NFL with 3,553 passing yards this season. But everyone knows his stats are inflated because Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle are so good after the catch, right?

Only 47.8 percent of Purdy’s passing yards this season have come after the catch, according to Pro Football Focus. That percentage ranks 17th among the 32 quarterbacks with the most drop-backs this season.
The reason for the relatively low percentage of yards after the catch is because Purdy has been the best thrower of the deep ball in the NFL this season.

On pass attempts traveling 20 or more yards down the field, Purdy is hitting his intended targets at an absurdly high frequency.

Purdy is 27 of 41 for 860 yards with nine touchdowns and one interception. At 65.9-percent accuracy on deep passes, he leads the NFL by a comfortable margin over No. 2, Houston Texans rookie C.J. Stroud (57.1).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back