Arm Triangle Question

Johnnyb302

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was practicing arm triangles the other day and the instructor was teaching us to switch to a rear naked grip and Ive got pretty long arms, and I was practicing with a fairly skinny guy and I could only get my fingers on my bicep it wasnt very effective. I switched to a gable grip and he said It was much tighter.

Do you use a gable grip or rear naked grip?

also is it better to switch your hips so one is on the ground or do you stay on your toes and press your chest down as you turn towards the head?

I like the gable grip to finish, and my outside hip lower than the inside hip. Feels like my whole upper body is driving his shoulder through his artery.

I've been trying to hit this a lot lately and I'm using the gable grip and staying fairly flat when I finish. Not sure if it's the best way, just what I've been doing.

Gotta go rewatch my Ryan Hall DVD.

if you have 'long arms' and are performing an arm triangle on a guy around your size or smaller, it shouldn't be that hard to lock up the rnc type grip.

i dont have very long arms and with the rnc grip is my preferred way to finish.

are you saying you like to walk towards the guys head for the finish? I actually try to sink my body down not up. I donno, my arm triangles need work too.

I use one arm only and place the fingers of my choking arm under the armpit of my opponent. This aligns my upper und my forearm way better.

The only time I think it's a good idea to use a biceps grip for a side choke is when hitting the 'Ezekiel' finish from back control. If his back is on the floor, however, Gable grip – or even the aforementioned one-handed variant – is much better, IMO.

ryan hall dvd, get it.

but, I use the gable grip.

I never ever use the RNC grip. Always gable if using both hands. In practice I try to only use one arm to make sure my pressure is correct.

I never ever use the RNC grip. Always gable if using both hands. In practice I try to only use one arm to make sure my pressure is correct.

Yep. Ryan Hall arm triangles for the win. Gable grio allows custom sized enclosure, but it's just to keep them penned in, the choke come from the bicep on the far side (a gimme) and the pressure on their shoulder into their carotid. Clocking "north" and driving the collar bone up under their shoulder should donthe trick.

I use a gable grip. If it's a guy with a skinny neck (and harder to choke) it's easier to transition to a nice tight d'arce without getting in your own way.

I use an s-grip for the side choke and a rear naked grip for any arm triangle in which I'm chest to chest

I prefer the rear naked grip over the gable grip. It just works better for me.

ryan hall dvd, get it.

but, I use the gable grip.

This. Probably the best instructional dvd I've ever seen, it's upped my arm triangle game a bunch.

Gable grip, Ear to ear, make sure your forearms are flat on the mat, and be sure to put your feet up on the air.

Gable grip lets you take the rear Ezekiel/sleeve choke without hesitation if he is fool enough to turn away.

Since watching the Ryan Hall dvd I only use one arm for the arm triangle and it is working better than ever in training. I feel it makes you get the pressure and feel of the choke down much finer,now I'm sure when it comes to a competition setting I'll probably still go Gable grip but mines has improved so much doing it one armed that I cant recommend it enough.

RNC for me as I am lankyish.

Honestly it sounds like you didn't have it set in properly, and then absent mindedly adjusted it a little when going for the gable grip.
I believe it would have been even tighter still if you went back to RNC.

No reason why you can't swap between the two as you wish, but remember everytime you swap you are giving him a chance to breathe.

I actually like a chain grip. Choking hand palm toward the mat. Hips about even, on my toes.

Aurelio does it to Gomi here, at about 4 minutes in. It hard to see, but I think he uses a chain grip with the choking hand UP. Just my preference-- I think either works fine. I just think with choking palm down I get a little more pressure with the radius bone.

[YT]5FwgyKow398[/YT]

Last edited:
Definitely palm down.
I find another benefit of the gable grip (or one handed) is that if it is a little loose, it is easy to remedy by pushing them up onto their side slightly. Getting your choking arm in deep is easier here, compared with them flat on their back. You let them back down (or they push themselves back to the mat if they fear the sleeve choke) and the kata gatame will be tight enough to finish one handed.
The alternative is again if they continue to try to get to their side, just hit the sleeve choke.

Back