Atkins Diet

I can't believe that people still comment on this subject when their comments suggest that they don't really know dick about why the Atkins diet works. The reasons the Atkins diet fails has very little to do with the restriction of carbs and mostly to do with people's inability to moderate their food intake. Furthermore, yes there are drawbacks, like the carb cravings and initial feelings of low energy, but that comes with ANY restrictive eating regimen, be it carbs, fat, or simply caloric. Feeling effects such as this is normal. As far as muscles catabolizing, as long as there is sufficient fat intake and SOME modicum of carb intake, this won't happen.

The Atkins diet and other ketogenic diets work fine when done properly, and any diabetic who has to drastically reduce or regulate carb intake, and at the same time lose weight can attest to this.

The Atkin's diet is a faddy short term solution that can harm your health.

Want to lose weight? Eat clean, consume less calories and exercise more, END OF STORY.

The Atkin's diet is a faddy short term solution that can harm your health.

Want to lose weight? Eat clean, consume less calories and exercise more, END OF STORY.

Yup that is it... Close down the Dieting / Supplement Discussion. All we need is this.

OK but seriously, my response would be, have you read the book? Probably not judging by your comment. I would however say it is a great diet for people that are really over weight. My mom did it and she had great success on it. I have read the book and really it is not different than what some people here do. Can you do this program and be successfull in MMA??? Not sure... Would I use this as a method to drop a few pound... Probably not as again, I think it is for people who are fairly heavy and struggle with there weight...

I did the diet once just to lose about 14 lbs. After 2 weeks I had lost 16 lbs, went back to how I ate before and maintained the weight, never gained any back. I had a friend that him and his dad lost 90 lbs doing atkins, it really changed their lives. The just eat well now tho.

Atkins Diet Alert / Neal Barnard, M.D., president / a PCRM site

Is the Atkins diet safe?

Atkins Diet Problems ? Headaches Caused By Low-Carb Diets | Atkins Diet Tips

For very overweight people who find a conventional diet impossible to stick to then I guess its alright in the short term. However the long term side effects are still not known. Eating large amounts of saturated fat and even very high levels of protein is not good for the body.

And for the record, this low cal approach is a new idea, Atkins himself advocated the total abstanence of carbs initially.

The simple fact is if you eat sensibly and burn more calaries than you consume you will lose weight, and it a much safer more natural way than faddy diets like Atkins.

Again, I think it is useful for very over weight people... I remember hearing of arguments of low carb diets forever. I seen shit like that all over the TV and stuff for many years. There are always people for something and people against and your right they don't know the long term issues it can bring. But if someone that is overweight is considering doing this or sitting on the couch eating a large pizza with a milkshake chasser... I would think that this might be a better option...

Is the Atkins diet safe?

For very overweight people who find a conventional diet impossible to stick to then I guess its alright in the short term. However the long term side effects are still not known. Eating large amounts of saturated fat and even very high levels of protein is not good for the body.

And for the record, this low cal approach is a new idea, Atkins himself advocated the total abstanence of carbs initially.

The simple fact is if you eat sensibly and burn more calaries than you consume you will lose weight, and it a much safer more natural way than faddy diets like Atkins.

How is keeping carbohydrate intake to a minimum a fad? Please explain. Because as I see it, our bodies are engineered to convert lipids and amino acids into glucose (GLUCONEOGENESIS) and therefore you must know there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate since our bodies can assimilate them. Pasta was not on this earth before meat and veg and the real fad is people like you who think that if they cut processed carbohydrates they will instantly lose energy. Also, I Love how you say its more natural to lose weight by burning more calories than eating compared to Atkis diet, please explain how altering ones food intake choices is not natural? Before you start posting studies (Which there are many for and against ANYTHING) and spitting knowledge, you might want to educate yourself a little more in terms of human physiology.

How is keeping carbohydrate intake to a minimum a fad? Please explain. Because as I see it, our bodies are engineered to convert lipids and amino acids into glucose (GLUCONEOGENESIS) and therefore you must know there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate since our bodies can assimilate them. Pasta was not on this earth before meat and veg and the real fad is people like you who think that if they cut processed carbohydrates they will instantly lose energy. Also, I Love how you say its more natural to lose weight by burning more calories than eating compared to Atkis diet, please explain how altering ones food intake choices is not natural? Before you start posting studies (Which there are many for and against ANYTHING) and spitting knowledge, you might want to educate yourself a little more in terms of human physiology.

And!!!!!!!(adding to Striker's point) I would suggest reading the book before you speak. It makes you more informed... He talks of many things in the book that people don't do. and all the reports don't publish... and all these people that have negative affects, I bet didn't do what he said... He talks of vitamins, water intake... He recommends you go get blood work done... there is more too it than just "reducing your carb load..." I helped my mom do it, I know...

I can't believe that people still comment on this subject when their comments suggest that they don't really know dick about why the Atkins diet works. The reasons the Atkins diet fails has very little to do with the restriction of carbs and mostly to do with people's inability to moderate their food intake. Furthermore, yes there are drawbacks, like the carb cravings and initial feelings of low energy, but that comes with ANY restrictive eating regimen, be it carbs, fat, or simply caloric. Feeling effects such as this is normal. As far as muscles catabolizing, as long as there is sufficient fat intake and SOME modicum of carb intake, this won't happen.

The Atkins diet and other ketogenic diets work fine when done properly, and any diabetic who has to drastically reduce or regulate carb intake, and at the same time lose weight can attest to this.
Spot on! That being said, IMHO - it does come down to calories in/calories out. TS - if you want to drop the weight pretty fast, Atkins is fine - you'll get over the initial shock your body will go through. I have many family members that follow Atkins on and off. Shit, if I wasn't vegan - I'd probably love Atkins. When I ate animal products, I sure did love em', ha.

Good luck with the weight loss. Do your best to eat clean, even on the Atkins diet. Congrats on the marriage!

This whole discussion is just getting crazy. What some people fail to realize is when you say the word "carbs" they automatically think of breads, pasta, you know word association. The reality is on Atkins you can eat carbs even in the induction stage on a restriction but they are still healthy. You can get your

Is the Atkins diet safe?

So far everything you've posted has equated to one thing:

"I don't know what I'm talking about, but I dislike this because other people like it."

IMHO, just eating clean+portion control with a little patience is better than trying to lose weight fast with Atkins. Long term health, having energy, better recovery and all the other things that come with eating well FTW.

there it iss

carbs are not bad for you,if you want to be athletic and strong you need carbohydrates. atkins is just temporary, you'll gain it back. make a lifestyle change and run your ass off. I can eat carbs all day and lose weight. Running is the key. Some people just never will get it.

carbs are not bad for you,if you want to be athletic and strong you need carbohydrates. atkins is just temporary, you'll gain it back. make a lifestyle change and run your ass off. I can eat carbs all day and lose weight. Running is the key. Some people just never will get it.

Level of intensity is also an important factor in your nutrition. If your a bodybuilder your needs will be different from a boxer or any other cardio-intensive athlete. There is no one-platform-fits-all diet.

you won't gain it back, as long as you don't just binge 24/7 after you go off it, there's nothing temporary about the results, and some ppl stay on keto for very lengthy periods of time. Why is running the key?? Lifting weights does more for weight loss then running in most cases.

Have you even read the thread? Atkins allows you to eat fucking carbs. Just in phase one there is a restriction god damn.

Lifting weights does more for weight loss then running in most cases.

I slightly disagree. I know plenty people who have bodyfat to lose but lift weights rigorously. Whereas I don't know many runners who have problems losing bodyfat. I can understand arguing for the benefits of lifting, but I wouldn't go encouraging only lifting and no cardio for purposes of fat loss.

I slightly disagree. I know plenty people who have bodyfat to lose but lift weights rigorously. Whereas I don't know many runners who have problems losing bodyfat. I can understand arguing for the benefits of lifting, but I wouldn't go encouraging only lifting and no cardio for purposes of fat loss.

I agree, at least in my experiences with a 5x5 mixed volume and intensity lifting. When I start lifting again I generally loose a certain amount of fat from my hips (no homo) and sides, but belly fat stays until I start doing intense cardio.

Same goes for low carb/high protein combined with lifting. The fat drops off quickly in the beginning, then that's about it for awhile unless I greatly increase the volume for lifting, or do actual cardio.

Back