Attacking the New-School Straight Footlock and Defending the Old

Your content is so consistently good I liked your post without even watching the video. Will watch later. Keep posting content.

Good stuff man.
Do you know Mario SergioYokoyama by any chance?

There's a good practical example of this by Mikey Musumeci, who had a great ankle lock sub at ACBJJ 10.

Last edited:
thankyou :) i dont think so, how come?
My first coach when I was in Nagoya, Japan. BB under Ryan Gracie, RIP. He's settled in Australia. Not sure how big the community is there is all.

EDIT: I just listened again and you're not even Australian are you, lol. Maybe you seem too cool haha

Any chance of doing a video defending the new school ankle lock?

My first coach when I was in Nagoya, Japan. BB under Ryan Gracie, RIP. He's settled in Australia. Not sure how big the community is there is all.

EDIT: I just listened again and you're not even Australian are you, lol. Maybe you seem too cool haha

i'm from england, and definitely not too cool hahaha

There's a good practical example of this by Mikey Musumeci, who had a great ankle lock sub at ACBJJ 10.

Whoa...I don't get this. It looked like Mikey was going to get leg dragged. That shallow hook stoped a leg drag? Can somebody please explain?

Any chance of doing a video defending the new school ankle lock?

You have to do it earlier on. If you've seen Riley's new video, you can kind of cross apply escapes for any low-side entanglements that use the "inside" leg to cap the hip. The "early" defense is getting your free leg under you, making a "penetration step" motion to rock weight onto the trapped foot/ankle, and dragging the posted leg so that it can't be used to make or maintain distance. The best ankle lock defense is building your base and by 1) rocking you up onto one hip the "correct side" getup and penetration step are taken away and 2) the weaker side technical getup is taken away as long as the inside leg is posted.

I primarily use this entanglement on people with much longer legs than me for some reason. I still think skipping directly to the tripod is the most powerful of the ankle locks where you're between their legs, but i'm inconsistent about attacking it that way in sparring.

You have to do it earlier on. If you've seen Riley's new video, you can kind of cross apply escapes for any low-side entanglements that use the "inside" leg to cap the hip. The "early" defense is getting your free leg under you, making a "penetration step" motion to rock weight onto the trapped foot/ankle, and dragging the posted leg so that it can't be used to make or maintain distance. The best ankle lock defense is building your base and by 1) rocking you up onto one hip the "correct side" getup and penetration step are taken away and 2) the weaker side technical getup is taken away as long as the inside leg is posted.

I primarily use this entanglement on people with much longer legs than me for some reason. I still think skipping directly to the tripod is the most powerful of the ankle locks where you're between their legs, but i'm inconsistent about attacking it that way in sparring.

I'm having trouble visualizing this. Can you post the video?

I'm having trouble visualizing this. Can you post the video?

It's in a paid for video. I would just film an explainer myself, but my LCL is sprained right now and i should't be trying to do any leg spaghetti.

Here's another way to think of it- the most surefire defenses to an ankle lock are
1) Putting all your weight on that foot, with the foot flat on the floor, so that it is physically impossible to hyperextend it or roll it without taking your base away first.
2) To pull your leg out of the entanglement entirely, which due to the fact that legs don't telescope in and out, requires you to raise your hips, with more mobility the higher you can get them.

So in both cases, the most effective escapes are built on getting back to your feet.

And you can visuallize roughly three ways of getting back to your feet

1) Technical standup
2) Turning away and getting into a push-up position
3) folding your free leg under you so that you can rock up over your shin and shift weight toward the trapped leg.

And some of these are just better methods of getting up than other mechanically, so if you can dictate which methods of getting up are available, and which sides they are available on, you can fuck with someone's escapes badly.

So let's imagine someone who just doesn't get this particular point. They have good breaking mechanics, and they know how to entangle the legs fairly well. But every time they attack an ankle lock, they fall straight back on both shoulders. This guy isn't breaking shit.

Why? Because literally method of getting up will be available to their opponents, and with the ability to instantly build base, they can shift their weight wherever they need to, and focus on peeling off feet, and retracting their own legs. And since every method of getting up is available, the guy attacking the footlock is going to have a much harder time anticipating the counter moves.

Let's picture the opposite situation- the Leg Knot position, where your overhook and thighs control one leg, and the lower half of your legs are both controlling the far leg. We expect this person to be well and truly fucked. Why? Is it because the breaking pressure is greater? No, in fact it's worse because it's harder to extend your hips directly into the lock and relatively difficult to elongate the leg.

The reason he's fucked is because he can't get his legs underneath him to attempt to get up, he can't turn away to get to push up position, and he can't retract his legs because the hips won't rise up.

That's why the OP's leg entanglement position is good, especially for a position you can get into quickly- it funnels the defender's methods of getting up in one direction, and makes it so that you're able to get up faster than them if they start their escape, which is normally something you only get out of reaping positions.

It's in a paid for video. I would just film an explainer myself, but my LCL is sprained right now and i should't be trying to do any leg spaghetti.

Here's another way to think of it- the most surefire defenses to an ankle lock are
1) Putting all your weight on that foot, with the foot flat on the floor, so that it is physically impossible to hyperextend it or roll it without taking your base away first.
2) To pull your leg out of the entanglement entirely, which due to the fact that legs don't telescope in and out, requires you to raise your hips, with more mobility the higher you can get them.

So in both cases, the most effective escapes are built on getting back to your feet.

1) Technical standup
3) folding your free leg under you so that you can rock up over your shin and shift weight toward the trapped leg.

And some of these are just better methods of getting up than other mechanically, so if you can dictate which methods of getting up are available, and which sides they are available on, you can fuck with someone's escapes badly.

So let's imagine someone who just doesn't get this particular point. They have good breaking mechanics, and they know how to entangle the legs fairly well. But every time they attack an ankle lock, they fall straight back on both shoulders. This guy isn't breaking shit.

Why? Because literally method of getting up will be available to their opponents, and with the ability to instantly build base, they can shift their weight wherever they need to, and focus on peeling off feet, and retracting their own legs. And since every method of getting up is available, the guy attacking the footlock is going to have a much harder time anticipating the counter moves.

Let's picture the opposite situation- the Leg Knot position, where your overhook and thighs control one leg, and the lower half of your legs are both controlling the far leg. We expect this person to be well and truly fucked. Why? Is it because the breaking pressure is greater? No, in fact it's worse because it's harder to extend your hips directly into the lock and relatively difficult to elongate the leg.

The reason he's fucked is because he can't get his legs underneath him to attempt to get up, he can't turn away to get to push up position, and he can't retract his legs because the hips won't rise up.

That's why the OP's leg entanglement position is good, especially for a position you can get into quickly- it funnels the defender's methods of getting up in one direction, and makes it so that you're able to get up faster than them if they start their escape, which is normally something you only get out of reaping positions.

Great breakdown

1) Technical standup

This was amazing! Thank you for writing it up!

I've been getting alot of mileage out of this technique. Lately chaining it with an overhook Xguard sweep. Thank you. Your videos have always been gold.

Back