Australia: NSW and WA Police Finally Allowed to Kill Terrorists *BEFORE* Hostages Are Murdered

NSW cops allowed new shoot-to-kill powers
Stefanie MenezesAustralian Associated Press | June 21, 2017​

NSW Police have been granted greater shoot-to-kill powers to deal with the "evolving threat of terrorism".

Legislation allowing for the strengthened powers was passed through the NSW Parliament's upper house following a lengthy debate on Wednesday evening.

The Bereijklian government pledged to introduce the tough new measure after the long-running probe into the 2014 Lindt Cafe siege heard snipers hesitated when they thought they had a clear shot at gunman Man Haron Monis - partially because they weren't sure they had the legal justification to shoot him.

The coronial report recommended the government consider legislative changes to ensure that police had the necessary protections to resolve terrorist incidents.

At present, officers tasked with taking a so-called "kill shot" must believe their target poses an imminent threat to another person before they can fire their weapon.

The NSW Greens strongly opposed the bill as it was introduced on Wednesday, arguing it was being rushed through parliament without proper scrutiny.

"The key lesson from the Lindt siege it is that there is an overwhelming need within the police for good processes, timely information and quality training," Greens MP David Shoebridge said.

The legislation also contains no independent oversight of the police commissioner's decision to trigger the move, he said.

Lawyers have also raised concerns about an amendment which allows police to use the lethal force powers on anyone in a terrorist situation, not just the those engaged in such activities.

"The legislation could result in the use of lethal force becoming the norm for any siege situation, without it necessarily being terrorist-related," President of the NSW Law Society of NSW Pauline Wright said.

The new laws will also give the parole board greater discretion to refuse parole for inmates linked to terrorism, or those radicalised while in prison.

Ms Berejiklian says the tough legislation will ensure NSW has some of the strongest counter-terror laws in the world.

"Community safety is our highest priority. I want our brave police men and women to be absolutely clear that they have our full support to keep the community safe," she said in a statement on Wednesday.

The bill passed with the Labor opposition's support.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...s/news-story/0eff0d454a2d4f9fb133221c9b004a96

Last edited:
WA Police to be given powers to shoot to kill suspected terrorists
Grant Taylor | October 2, 2017

b8c0a437532befc512174bdbb8184d37

WA POLICE will be given increased powers to shoot to kill suspected terrorists if they believe a pre-emptive strike would help minimise the risk of harm to hostages and other innocent members of the community.

The changes, expected to be announced today by the State Government, are designed to prevent a repeat of the 2014 Lindt Chocolate Cafe siege in Sydney where police snipers failed to take several opportunities to shoot gunman Man Haron Monis before he opened fire on his hostages.

A damning coroner’s report on the Sydney siege found that a pre-emptive strike was never ordered because senior officers had been unsure whether Monis had intended to harm anyone.

Officers also believed that shooting him before he turned on his hostages could have been illegal because an “imminent threat” to life needed to be established before lethal force could be justified.

The inquest resulted in a recommendation that police powers be expanded in terrorism cases to give officers in NSW greater scope to strike sooner without the fear of prosecution.

The recommendation prompted WA Police to launch a review of its powers, which found that officers were also likely to face similar legal uncertainty if a Lindt cafe-style incident occurred.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts said amendments to terror laws were being drafted that would remove the uncertainty and give police the legal protection they needed to protect the community.

“No one wants to see a repeat of terrible events like those at the Lindt cafe and this Government is committed to giving our police every tool they need to respond to terrorist incidents,” she said.

“These new measures will provide confidence to police where pre-emptive force may be required to save hostages in a potential terrorism incident.

“They also ensure our police have sufficient legal protection when acting in good faith and in the course of their duties to protect others.”

Police would only be entitled to use the new powers in situations which the Police Commissioner had formally declared as being terror-related.

Premier Mark McGowan will discuss the changes with leaders of all States and Territories at a special Council of Australian Governments meeting on Thursday.

“While WA generally has fewer security concerns than some other States, we are committed to doing everything we can to keep the community safe in the event of a violent extremist act,” he said.

“We also want to ensure our police remain well-trained and have the power to respond with the required force to remove a terrorist threat.

“These changes will strengthen our counterterrorism laws and help our police to keep us safe.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s/news-story/089ed1c1cdaeec44b58f8ce74d256d0d

Last edited:
The last thing we need is more knee jerk terrorism laws.
Seems strange that NSW police would potentially face criminal charges under those circumstances though. That's not the case here in SA (but then again we also effectively have "Castle Doctrine").

I am not for militarisation, but i believe they should have more scope for containing situations.

I think they should be able to shoot to kill in hostage and terrorist situations.

I think they should be able to "Pitt" manouvre cars in chase situations.

I am not for militarisation, but i believe they should have more scope for containing situations.

I think they should be able to shoot to kill in hostage and terrorist situations.

I think they should be able to "Pitt" manouvre cars in chase situations.

Yeah, I didn't even realise there were more limitations for police in other states on meeting an armed threat.
Mind you Victorian police do more than enough shooting to make up for all the others.

In my state we have STAR (Special Task and Rescue) Force as our local armed response groups, and every state has their equivalent.
On a national level there's the 2nd Commando Regiment/TAG (Tactical Assault Group) and SASR, but they are almost never called on except as security for high profile events and occasionally boarding North Korean vessels or boatloads of refugees.
STAR haha do you live in Racoon city

There's been calls for it several times. Do you mean after the SOG avenged the Walsh street murders?
I was thinking about the mid 2000s after they shot a retarded man when they entered the wrong house, not long after shooting an old aboriginal woman with an axe in a park and then escalating and shooting in a situation with a mentally ill man cutting himself out the front of a house.
There's been periods where Victorian police have shot more than the rest of the states police forces combined, mostly the mentally ill.
Caused the walsh st murders then fucked up the attempt at revenge

"How to make toast" by your average Australian

1. put butter on bread

2. put bread in toaster for 2 min

3. take out bread and then plug in toaster

4. walk away

Poor Muslim immigrants. All they want is a little bit of revenge for the horrible stuff Australia has done to them. Can't you just accept jihad?

Well we did once try and take back Constantinople for the empire...

Long story short: Under the current “Contain and Negotiate” doctrine used in the Lindt Cafe terror attack, Australian police snipers could have taken down the terrorist walking back and forth in their sight anytime, but instead they had to wait more than 16 hours until the first hostage is executed first before they can shoot-to-kill.

That will soon be changed when the new terrorism law takes effect in NSW.

----
New South Wales Police who shoot terrorists dead will be protected by new laws

7529406-3x2-460x307.jpg

The NSW Government will introduce laws by the end of the month to ensure police are legally protected if they pre-emptively shoot a terrorist dead.

The changes were prompted by the coronial findings into the 2014 Lindt Cafe siege, which were handed down last month.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the Government would accept and support all 45 recommendations. Some recommendations were that police be given extra powers.

The NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said police already have the power to shoot a terrorist dead in the circumstance like the recent London and Melbourne terrorist attacks.

But he said there was a grey area around whether snipers during the Lindt Cafe siege would have had the legal ability to use lethal force before gunman Man Haron Monis had harmed any hostages.

Despite police snipers being positioned at three positions overlooking the cafe, they never fired.

Under the new legislation, the commissioner would be able to declare such an event a terrorist incident, which would authorise officers to take a pre-emptive kill-shot.

"I have to declare a terrorist incident first so it is not any every day power," Mr Fuller said.

Ms Berejiklian said previously announced legislation to tighten parole criminals with links to terrorism will also be introduced in the next session of Parliament.

"NSW will continue to have the toughest counter-terrorism laws in the country and we will now give our police clear protections if they need to use lethal force against terrorists," Ms Berejiklian said.

Police to get semi-automatic weapons

Mr Fuller also confirmed public order and riot squad police would be given military style semi-automatic weapons by the end of the year.

He said the exact type of weapon was yet to be decided as a tender process was underway.

Mr Fuller said at the moment he did not see the need for officers to be patrolling the streets with weapons as seen in London and Paris.

"It doubles our capability overnight in terms of our long-arm ability to respond to an incident."

Police Minister Troy Grant acknowledged some members of the public may be alarmed by the sight of the weapons.

"People may be confronted by it but I think the community ... understand this is the changed circumstances that we are in," Mr Grant said.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ice-shoot-terrorists-dead/8600618?pfmredir=sm

It may have taken 16 hours before the police decided to act (after the first hostage was shot). Unfortunately when they did though, they were actually responsible for accidentally shooting and killing one of the hostages.

Personally, I think they need better leadership and training before these new policies are inacted.

Back