Automatic gunfire in doors. In movies. No ear protection

fuck. It's midnight I have work tomorrow and now I want to watch Collateral
It's so friggin' good...I'm not even a Cruise fan, but he knocked it out of the park. I'll bet I've watched it ten times, and now I wanna watch it again.

Do cops wear ear protection, I wonder? I wonder if gangbangers do too?

How long has ear pro been around? Even those old muskets are loud. In fact, they are louder than modern small arms. They called them hand cannons for something.

And those guys stood in mass formation and kept firing.
Despite what the news would lead you to believe, very few police officers actually fire their guns on-duty. Which is why when they do, they usually make a mistake.

Would be kind of cute to see a bunch of hardened thugs handing out ear protection before a drive-by

I've never fired a gun. I think the one thing that always amazed me the most about the GOAT gunfight in cinema (Heat bank robbery) was the sound. I've never heard anything like that shit in any other film since.

Except for your own trouser gun... which you fire every day if you know what I mean.

Except for your own trouser gun... which you fire every day if you know what I mean.

My trouser gun doesn't make any sound when it goes off anymore. That Penicillin worked out great

Sure it's great to have realistic portrayal of physics in action movies, but movies primary purpose is to entertain. When real world physics get in the way of story-telling, certain rules will be bent, especially ones where many people have not experience themselves first hand.

Imagine how boring and short car chases would be if everything is 100% real.

Well the loud gun fire is a smaller problem for me.
I think being able to hide behind car doors as protection is worse.
Or the fact that cops in NYC in all movies and tv shows seems to live in huge expensive apartments is worse.
For me, the worst is when people enter a home they never seem to close the front door., or when they make a phone call they never small talk or even say good bye they just hang up.

Ear pro fell out one day and a 25mm bushmaster fired a few bursts, it didn't even seem loud just hurt real fucking bad.

My trouser gun doesn't make any sound when it goes off anymore. That Penicillin worked out great

I think the fact that you also started to wash your hands is also a factor.

One of the things Michael Mann did / does which is revolutionary, but which should really be kind of obvious, is record & use the live sounds of the actual gunfire you are seeing onscreen, & use that as his final product, rather than dub it in with sound effects like literally just about every other movie & TV show. The result of that is the visceral realism that punches you in the gut when a gun is fired in one of his films. Canned sound effects, which again just about everyone else uses, feel safe, clean, slightly unreal, like a video game. Mann’s genius here is just in the simplicity of preserving the guttural realness of actual gunfire sounds.

The audio mixing plays a big role as well. Another big flop in movies is how quiet gunfire is relative to other sounds. I would buy canned effects a little more if they were proportionately mixed.

Could you imagine? Guns are loud. And they are shouting and hearing each other and ears arent ringing.

You know in movie. Big gun fight and automatic weapons going off for like 30 minutes.

Also imagine ww1 or ww2 gun fire.

It reminds me of a rating of a 44 magnum handgun when they became popular from the Dirty Harry movies. The reviewer tested the 4 inch barrel model. He said if you shoot it in a confined space without hearing protection you won't be able to hear anything for several minutes. If you shoot it in the dark you will be blinded by the muzzle flash. He said it felt like holding an iron bar and hitting a rock.

Do cops wear ear protection, I wonder? I wonder if gangbangers do too?

How long has ear pro been around? Even those old muskets are loud. In fact, they are louder than modern small arms. They called them hand cannons for something.

And those guys stood in mass formation and kept firing.
Almost all cases of primarily outdoor shooting. I didn’t wear ear protection in any of my 3 combat tours. Shooting indoors is uncomfortably loud, you can deal with it, but it is still loud as hell and it is hard to hear after a few minutes of shooting indoors with hearing protection. In the smaller the room, the worse it is.

Almost all cases of primarily outdoor shooting. I didn’t wear ear protection in any of my 3 combat tours. Shooting indoors is uncomfortably loud, you can deal with it, but it is still loud as hell and it is hard to hear after a few minutes of shooting indoors with hearing protection. In the smaller the room, the worse it is.

But in your three combat tours, you never thought you will have to fire indoors? Dont the military have the ear-pro that just blocks out the loud sounds, while not hindering the normal range?

ummm

<{1-1}> <{1-1}> <{1-1}>

Arent you guys always on your toes because of NK?

On your toes doesn't mean you're actually an effective fighting force. I can write pages upon pages why the ROK Army is shite but the short answer is that you're not going to get a real army if 90% of the guys don't want to be there.

But in your three combat tours, you never thought you will have to fire indoors? Dont the military have the ear-pro that just blocks out the loud sounds, while not hindering the normal range?
Lol no. We have ear pro. But it is stuff we buy on our own. At best you stick it in your shooting ear that way you can still hear, but at the same time you can leave the other ear open in order to hear each other in case little happens. I have had to pull my ear pro out while on an outdoor fire movement range because I couldn't hear the rest of my team, and I was the team leader. As for indoors, again you need to hear each other and on the radio so having ear pro in just your shooting ear is the best you can probably do.

Never heard of ear pro advanced enough to block loud sounds that doesn't hinder normal range. If it exists, the Marines in 2003-2007 didn't have it lol.

I've never seen a photo of a soldier wearing ear protection.

First time I shot a gun indoors doing room clearing I nearly gave myself a heart attack. Holy shit it is much louder than outdoors. I always laugh at that too in the movies. Or how they walk away from a big explosion and they hear just fine afterward. At least saving private Ryan got that right.
The concussion that bounces right back at you off the walls took some getting used to for me.

On your toes doesn't mean you're actually an effective fighting force. I can write pages upon pages why the ROK Army is shite but the short answer is that you're not going to get a real army if 90% of the guys don't want to be there.

IDF is conscription based, they're pretty effective. What makes the difference in the two cases?

Anyone who served in combat here? When I was in the army they handed out ear plugs at the range but they never talked about using it combat. I think we just assumed we would but I'd imagine there would be a lot of situations where you won't have time to put in ear plugs before shit goes down.
I recall in the book, On Killing, the author says the adrenaline drowns out the senses so it doesn't really affect you.

Yeah I fired my M249 off in the city of Ramadi and inside structures fairly often. Did it feel great? No. Did I die and go deaf forever? No. But at the time it seemed a lot better than getting overran by insurgents so I did it. My hearing is definitely not great anymore.

2,Iraq. 1 Afghanistan. One day at Ft. Carson for the first Iraq deployment premob training in 03 (I was Infantry) we were on the 240 range and I was AGing. I decided fuck earplugs for some reason. When that thing went off I ended up curling up in the fetal position w/ hands over ears until they called ceasefire.

I couldn't hear for 10 minutes and there was blood in my ear from being next to the ejection port.

Not even the .50 without plugs was louder.

That's the thing, it's better to be behind the gun than beside it.

Guns are loud as fuck. Even with a suppressor it sounds like a jack hammer.

Back