B.Y.O.G??

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
*Bring your own gear*

So my friend had his first ammy kickboxing fight in ON,Canada.

Now i heard about all the fkury that goes on and the weird rules and such but what was the oddest for me was that you bring your own headgear and shinpads??

My buddys headgear was too big so in the ring they said he had to find another or he would get a DQ. He found one but it was blue and needed to be black, then he found one that was black but had cheek protection, finally as hes in the ring my coach returns with headgear that is suitable after the third attempt.

Headgear on his opp ready for around 5 min now and the ref says no spats...after walkout and everything with the headgear she makes my buddy untape his shinpads and go remove his spatts and comeback out to retape everything

At this point it was easily 7 or 10 min to get all this bs done and my buddy was mentally taken out before the fight even stared.

Just bad luck for first ammy or welcome to Ontario? And is there a rule about shinguard thickness. Id just wear the sock fitting mma ones if not (Looking forward to my first comp. too)

Welcome to the wonderful world of amateur fighting. Don't really have much to say other than it will only get worst. You will experience things so ridiculous, amateurish, dangerous, unfair etc... that you will find stories you didn't really believe, to be actually soft in comparison.

*Bring your own gear*

So my friend had his first ammy kickboxing fight in ON,Canada.

Now i heard about all the fkury that goes on and the weird rules and such but what was the oddest for me was that you bring your own headgear and shinpads??

My buddys headgear was too big so in the ring they said he had to find another or he would get a DQ. He found one but it was blue and needed to be black, then he found one that was black but had cheek protection, finally as hes in the ring my coach returns with headgear that is suitable after the third attempt.

Headgear on his opp ready for around 5 min now and the ref says no spats...after walkout and everything with the headgear she makes my buddy untape his shinpads and go remove his spatts and comeback out to retape everything

At this point it was easily 7 or 10 min to get all this bs done and my buddy was mentally taken out before the fight even stared.

Just bad luck for first ammy or welcome to Ontario? And is there a rule about shinguard thickness. Id just wear the sock fitting mma ones if not (Looking forward to my first comp. too)

Bringing your own gear is pretty standard, I have only seen a few amateur shows where they provided the gear that must be worn because it was sponsored by Singha. Now some of the amateur shows are requiring you to use their gear, in a attempt to sell it. I would prefer to wear my own comfortable well fitted broken in head gear than someone elses or the events head gear. Head gear for competition needs to be open face. I liked the twins open face head gear.

To my knowledge, all the MT shows require you to wear MT shorts.

For shinpads I am not sure about the thickness, but obviously you want to do damage so dont wear the big leather ones. Wear the cheap cloth ones. Even better yet are RDX shinpads, the padding on them is very thin/soft, softer/thinner than the cloth shinpads. Back when I used to fight with shinpads I loved these things. I highly recommend them.

Its been like that forever, only recently has things been good where the events provide everything for me except for cup, and mouthpiece

I remember my first tourney, everyone had the same $20 neverlast headgear. Lol

Isnt headgear classified as competition ready in the US & Canada? I thought so at least in boxing.
.I honestly think its much better to use your own gear.

Especially with headgear its imo quite unhygienic to use someone elses and you know it fits.

Isnt headgear classified as competition ready in the US & Canada? I thought so at least in boxing.

Especially with headgear its imo quite unhygienic to use someone elses and you know it fits.

I really liked this twins headgear

screen_shot_2015-08-24_at_12.55.48_pm_2.png

Not sure.

Iowa hosts TBA which is one of the biggest ammy tournaments and iirc, we had to bring gear

But yeah it nasty using another person's gear.

But the less luggage I need to carry in flights, the better. I still remeber bringing my Epsom salts to cut, and it was in a ghetto ass plastic bag, taped up the folks there thought I was trying to haul coke across the border. Lol

Its been like that forever, only recently has things been good where the events provide everything for me except for cup, and mouthpiece

I remember my first tourney, everyone had the same $20 neverlast headgear. Lol

Does any of it have to do with classes? My coach is in the open class and either doesnt talk enough about the bs that goes on or i guess just use to it at this point nd its normal to him haha

Does any of it have to do with classes? My coach is in the open class and either doesnt talk enough about the bs that goes on or i guess just use to it at this point nd its normal to him haha
Naw. The only difference is the higher the class, the less gear that you have to use in your fight.

Though recently MTO made c-class novices wear elbow pads which is odd

Not sure.

Iowa hosts TBA which is one of the biggest ammy tournaments and iirc, we had to bring gear

But yeah it nasty using another person's gear.

But the less luggage I need to carry in flights, the better. I still remeber bringing my Epsom salts to cut, and it was in a ghetto ass plastic bag, taped up the folks there thought I was trying to haul coke across the border. Lol

I looked it up. I meant the "USA Boxing "Certification on headgear that is allowed at competitions in boxing. Dont know if there are these rules in kickboxing. Imo its great so that way you can be absolutely sure your headgear is allowed if it has the certificate.

I looked it up. I meant the "USA Boxing "Certification on headgear that is allowed at competitions in boxing. Dont know if there are these rules in kickboxing. Imo its great so that way you can be absolutely sure your headgear is allowed if it has the certificate.
I might have to check, this is the first time I heard of this. The closest thing to it is some orgs show pics of the type of gear allowed and not allowed.

Id rather wear gear I wear and only wear, then some gear that been to no one knows where. Unless they have specific brands, and I can just buy it for myself.

Id rather wear gear I wear and only wear, then some gear that been to no one knows where. Unless they have specific brands, and I can just buy it for myself.

Can you imagine every little even or promotion, having a specific brand, mostly from sponsoring. You will have to buy new gear every time...

At least with martial arts, they have that going on for them. You know exactly what is allowed, what brand, what type. And that doesn't even change from country to country. You fight for a small gym exhibition in the next corner or for a world tournament in another country, you will use the same gear.

Can you imagine every little even or promotion, having a specific brand, mostly from sponsoring. You will have to buy new gear every time...

At least with martial arts, they have that going on for them. You know exactly what is allowed, what brand, what type. And that doesn't even change from country to country. You fight for a small gym exhibition in the next corner or for a world tournament in another country, you will use the same gear.

It can get expensive, but if you want a sponsor for your tourney, then well, what can you do about that?

I am sure there are ammy tourneys that are not so serious, but the more prestigious it gets, the more money is going to be involved for promoters and organizers. It is like that with all the team sports too.

Fought on cards with both.
It’s sketchy fighting with your own gear, you could end up in a Margarito Cotto situation.
On the other had, theses only usually 4-6 pairs, so the later on the card the more sweaty they get

I use an old ass tkd open face foam one and someone asked me how i spar with the open face because he "doesn't like to get hit in the face." And i just replied that headgear wont help with not getting hit haha
It might actually be better, its light, doesnt affect breathing too much. More open means its not a damn heater on top of my head

Bruh, get on dat winning gear tourney sponsorship.

It might actually be better, its light, doesnt affect breathing too much. More open means its not a damn heater on top of my head

I really hated them. They may be light, but they move around to much... Literally after every exchange you have to put them back in place. Lately they have some expensive ones that are a bit better on that regard, but nothing compared to boxing/MT ones.

Bruh, get on dat winning gear tourney sponsorship.

Most of the times, that gear is completely useless for competition... cheap fucks. I had won a second place once, to get bag gloves man... madafucking cheap ass bag gloves. Don't really remember what first place got, but probably the same with just a bigger trophy.

I really hated them. They may be light, but they move around to much... Literally after every exchange you have to put them back in place. Lately they have some expensive ones that are a bit better on that regard, but nothing compared to boxing/MT ones.

Most of the times, that gear is completely useless for competition... cheap fucks. I had won a second place once, to get bag gloves man... madafucking cheap ass bag gloves. Don't really remember what first place got, but probably the same with just a bigger trophy.
fucking lol

I've had Twins at one event, it was m first time using decent gear since I usually cheap out and get $30-50 gloves. Those were really good, then again, my standards were incredibly low.

Sheeit, if 2nd place won ebay bag gloves, they probably gave a medal for 1st. One of those cheap ones you get in bulk. Not even, maybe one of those blue/purple ribbons they gave in elementary school. Man, some orgs don't even hide how cheap they are anymore, every org. gives away those red champ belts, some don't even customize with saying stuff like "Xtreme moo thigh 2018 champ". They just order the belts in bulk, and hand that to you when you win

The best time was when my teammate won this nice looking massive bling-ish belt... then they told him to give it back because it was just for photo ops after they took the shot. The one they sent in weeks later? The cheap shitty red ones. Biggest let down..

Back