Bad stoppage

I agree. You can’t stop the fight there. Short time on the clock, Colby is still very much aware but just in a bad position. Couple shots to the back of the head didn’t help either I’m sure.

it sucked they couldn't of gone for another 50 seconds, but I think when he basically fell for no reason it was easy for the ref to finish early.

Even with the score cards it would of still ended same way as coby clearly lost last round. 3-2, 2-3, 1-4. So need to cry early stoppage.

Tough luck for Colby having his jaw broken. That must've impaired his fighting somewhat. And then having to go through all the rounds with it broken only to get snuffed out of a decision late in round 5? That's gotta add salt to the wounds.
It's not really "luck" when your jaw gets broken in a fight. It's the other guy being a better striker.

It's not really "luck" when your jaw gets broken in a fight. It's the other guy being a better striker.

Sure, but it has to be the right punch etc.

How many fighters get their jaw broken per UFC event? 1 an event? That's probably being generous. Out of how many fighters? 25? What about all those hard hitters and regular KOs we see from them and yet not a lot of jaw breaks.

It's like a guy throwing a bodyshot, sometimes it hits the absolute perfect spot on the liver, most of the time that same shot is landed it doesn't hit that perfect

You should take you own advice. Every shot before the ref called it was to the back of the head. Not even debatable. Colby was still there and should have been given a few extra moments to recover considering he was up 3-1 in rounds.
Up 3-1 on one pretty poorly judged scorecard. And no, most of those shots went under the arm to the face. It showed it several times in slow motion after the fact. Might have been hard to see through the tears, but you can watch it again pretty easily.

Sure, but it has to be the right punch etc.

How many fighters get their jaw broken per UFC event? 1 an event? That's probably being generous. Out of how many fighters? 25? What about all those hard hitters and regular KOs we see from them and yet not a lot of jaw breaks.

It's like a guy throwing a bodyshot, sometimes it hits the absolute perfect spot on the liver, most of the time that same shot is landed it doesn't hit that perfect

Most of the time the fighter is smart enough to keep his mouth closed when someone's trying to punch him in the face.

Still not luck. He was in a championship fight.

Says the guy repping a state that's been turned into a third world country by its wealthy and educated politicians
...That's it?

You work in a tire shop for $14 an hour. You've already proven my point.

Maybe you should go rewatch. He landed several clean shots on Colby's face from that position and the bombs were about to start coming. It wasn't a bad stoppage. Although I would have been down to see colby take more damage for sure.

Nah, don’t need to rewatch it. He landed a few illegal shots to the back of the head, then a few in the face and on the shoulders. Perhaps the bombs would have come but can’t stop a fight based on what might happen.

Not that I care too much, I’m not a fan of either one of these guys.

If I'm voting early vs late, I vote early.

If the refs responsibility is to protect the fighter ..... Colby may be champ one day (I shudder) and that stoppage may have meant the difference between that day, and a beating that alters his career.

Fighters are fine being hit in the head 20 or 30 times as long as they don't quit. That doesn't make it a good idea.

You don't know that. Also, defensive wrestling when you get hurt has been a legitimate tactic since MMA started, what are you talking about?
But he wasnt even wrestling. He literally just turtled up and held on to Usman's legs. There was no attempt at a takedown, no attempt to better position, or move. Just hold on and hope you dont get knocked unconscious.

Good stoppage. Colby was dropped twice prior to that. He was done.

Back