Multiplatform BALDUR'S GATE III

So is baldurs gate like diablo?

Not really no. Using the current games:

BG3 is more story driven, turn based combat while D4 is a repetitive, button mashing skin store.

Kinda believe horses were only added to D4 in order to sell skins.

Bit of a bombshell, but Larian aren't planning on DLC or a sequel, they're looking to move on from Baldur's Gate and do something new instead

At a Game Developers Conference (GDC) panel today, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke dropped something of a bombshell by revealing that the developer isn't planning to release any expansions or DLC for Baldur's Gate 3, nor a Baldur's Gate 4.

Instead, Vincke said at the panel, Larian plans to move away from Dungeons & Dragons entirely and do something new, leaving the IP in Wizards of the Coast's hands.

It's a bit of a surprise, considering the massive success of Baldur's Gate 3, with many fans assuming that a DLC or expansion would be on the way. Larian has released several major free patches that have added, among other things, a playable epilogue party.

Bit of a bombshell, but Larian aren't planning on DLC or a sequel, they're looking to move on from Baldur's Gate and do something new instead

WotC must've pissed in their Fruit Loops. Well I'm looking forward to whatever they do next. DOS 3 would be welcome.

WotC must've pissed in their Fruit Loops. Well I'm looking forward to whatever they do next. DOS 3 would be welcome.

Honestly it makes sense for them to try a new IP right now. They have all the hype. If they can deliver a new IP and it does just as well they will make much more money and actually own the IP themselves. Better to not be beholden to WotC for your games.

Almost guarantee Hasbro/wotc wanted more involvement and microtransactions.

MTG is all over the place these days, just unabashed greed.

I'm of the opinion that DLC is welcome for quality games.

Just look at Witcher3 & Cyberpunk 2077.

Kinda disappointing BG3 won't be receiving any DLC, but Larian has done their duty with the many layers of polish with updates for well over half a year. That is far beyond most developers standards.

Honestly it makes sense for them to try a new IP right now. They have all the hype. If they can deliver a new IP and it does just as well they will make much more money and actually own the IP themselves. Better to not be beholden to WotC for your games.
I'm glad to hear this. They put a ton on the line for BG3, while Hasbro racked up $90 mil for no risk. I'm sure Larian profited greatly still, but the IP didn't make the game special, it was all Larian.

I'm sure it helped with marketing/sales though, lots of us were big fan of those Infinity engine D&D games, along with the table top. It's really a big win win for both parties. Hasbro will surely have a follow up made, maybe even remake the OG's, and they will likely sell well, or at least draw tons of interest.

Larian will have super interest whatever they do next, so they might as well go their own way and earn all the profit. I'd love for them to do a sci-fi game, creating a brand new IP. If anyone will risk it, it's Larian.

Last edited:
I wonder if I broke the progression in Shadow-cursed lands. I released the night woman from the Shar place who went on to attack Moonrise Towers and most of the quests involving the Towers have failed or broken.

I’m glad they’re forgoing DLC and BG4 as I don’t think there’s anyway they could meet expectations. The story was wrapped up nicely and it was all finished. Anything else would probably feel like they’re stretching or worse- a cash grab.

I do kind of wish they would keep using the dnd system though. I loved the D:OS games but being honest their home brewed rpg system I think could best be described as janky or wonky. Regardless, it doesn’t sound like OS3 is what they have in mind either as they said it was going to be something different.

I’m sure Hasboro is shopping around for someone else to do BG4 right now. No way a big greedy corporation lets that kind of success go without trying to run it into the ground. If someone else does make one, 99% chance it’s a massive disappointment

I wonder if I broke the progression in Shadow-cursed lands. I released the night woman from the Shar place who went on to attack Moonrise Towers and most of the quests involving the Towers have failed or broken.
There is quite a few quests that you can’t finish once you do the tower. That area is really easy to mess up

Kinda disappointing BG3 won't be receiving any DLC, but Larian has done their duty with the many layers of polish with updates for well over half a year. That is far beyond most developers standards.

I don’t mind DLC but this game already has so much to it. No need for more content imo.

I loaded up an earlier save as I had a lot failed quests because of that too.

I don't think I've ever save scummed more in a game lol.

I still have much of act 3 to do. It was so buggy when I was playing it, so it's nice to still have much to do when I get around to it.

Last edited:

There's a warning before you go into the Nightsong's Prison at the bottom of the Shar temple that just going through the door will advance the story.

Going in pushes you into late Act 2. Broken? No. Point of no return? Yes.

If you're not ready to sack Moonrise and move onto Act 3 and you want to get back for those other quests, look for a save before you stepped into the pool.

Probably because the game is an unfinished pile of shit and more of an ERP simulator than dnd.

So Larian has confirmed their next game will NOT be Baldur's Gate 4... so what do you think they'll do?

History of other developers that got famous off of an IP they didn't own, so their biggest-selling game has a portion of the sales goes to the IP-owners, they usually begin development on their own new IP.

But they own an IP already... Divinity Original Sin, and they have two games in that series. So... Original Sin 3?

Or something completely different?

So Larian has confirmed their next game will NOT be Baldur's Gate 4... so what do you think they'll do?

History of other developers that got famous off of an IP they didn't own, so their biggest-selling game has a portion of the sales goes to the IP-owners, they usually begin development on their own new IP.

But they own an IP already... Divinity Original Sin, and they have two games in that series. So... Original Sin 3?

Or something completely different?

They've already said it's gonna be something new instead of returning to the Divinity series

Vincke says the next game won't be Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that it will be "different than what you think it is" but that it's "still familiar." Elsewhere, Vincke said that the new project will "dwarf" the scope of Baldur's Gate 3, which would be quite impressive given the scope of that game.

They've already said it's gonna be something new instead of returning to the Divinity series

They left a lot of cash off the table because their hearts weren't into it... I didn't think I could respect them more! I wish every studio had the freedom to act on that. Can you imagine Raven and the other teams having to pump out COD games every two years, must be morale crushing.

Last edited:
Back