Law BBB/ Inflation Reduction Act: Signed into Law

I mean, it won’t even need to be an attack. The system can become overburdened if EVs become the more popular. It’s like a half baked plan because the emissions can still remain high if what’s being used to charge it isn’t green. If the system is knowledgeable about this, maybe the fact it hasn’t happened yet says most experts think EV adoption will take a lot longer than people expect and there’s still time for all that.
It’s bad out there. I am hesitant to believe anything/anyone can fix this mess at all.

There is still time to add an amendment to the 200k household number prior to the *throws up* 87,000 employee increase to the IRS, but it’s unlikely.

Wow — what a WIN for the middle class!

So even without it being 400k, the extra enforcement still isn’t for anyone making less than 200k household?

That’s not bad. That’s still no one in the bottom 89% of America. This only applies to the top 11%.

400k would be only top 2%.

So even without it being 400k, the extra enforcement still isn’t for anyone making less than 200k household?

That’s not bad. That’s still no one in the bottom 89% of America. This only applies to the top 11%.

400k would be only top 2%.
It’s shit but I won’t clog this thread with every reason why.

Has remote work done any dent in car emissions? I remember during covid, there were states how much it drastically dropped. Not sure if it fully recovered back after now or a decent amount of white collar jobs are remote now. There could be an idea with that, like a corporate tax credit for companies who elect to allow their employers work from home. The cost probably doesn’t make sense when it gets into the details just talking out loud.

I agree the grid isn’t being focused on nearly enough for what the unofficial plan is with EVs. Doesn’t seem like the transition will be smooth whatsoever.
It think it's helped a bit I'm willing to bet. But the increase in gas prices has caused people to drive less and carpool as well.

Did I read they plan to extend the SALT deduction limit another year instead of increasing the limit? WTF! HCOL areas that pay state income tax gets screwed again. At the very least they should have doubled it for married couples.

So many young people about to get a shock. Whats funny is they're cheering this bill. Ask them what they like and wait for the lack of response.

No one screeching about it even cares what's in it. The fact that Democrats voted for it means it's evil. It's pretty hard to seriously argue that it doesn't make the country better going forward.

Did I read they plan to extend the SALT deduction limit another year instead of increasing the limit? WTF! HCOL areas that pay state income tax gets screwed again. At the very least they should have doubled it for married couples.

Pretty sure Manchin was adamant it couldn’t be included. It’s actually impressive Schumer moved forward as NY/ NJ dem representatives were pushing really hard all throughout BBB negotiations that it needed to be in for any deal. Now that it’s been capped, it’s pretty hard to ever expect it to come back. The GOP is never going to care to bring it back because it is less politically rewarding to their voters. Democrats get conflicted because moving back to the old rules would be regressive and it’s a pretty costly item as well so trying to find a way to make it revenue neutral or not look very expensive is nearly impossible. The entire thing is set to expire in 2025 along with a bunch of other items so if it gets there, it will be even harder to negotiate it in as it will be competing with whatever ideas the ruling party wants as well as very popular must have renewals like CTC.

87,000 new IRS agents?

@Rob Battisti

To add to that summarize last night, this article now makes me question it all

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ts-warn-could-derail-tax-climate-health-bill/

I really think the reporting on legislation is terrible. Almost routinely, you will see something saying a bill passed the senate when it didn’t pass yet but the vote to debate went through. If this hill article is right, it means some amendments did make it through and the Politico article is wrong saying none did. And the hill article even has a revision at the top so I don’t know what to believe. Going to try to find it in the bill summary site at some point cause I can’t seem to rely on reporters at face value for this stuff. It’s all confusing but I generally expect them to know about it since it’s part of their job to cover it

@Rob Battisti

To add to that summarize last night, this article now makes me question it all

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ts-warn-could-derail-tax-climate-health-bill/

I really think the reporting on legislation is terrible. Almost routinely, you will see something saying a bill passed the senate when it didn’t pass yet but the vote to debate went through. If this hill article is right, it means some amendments did make it through and the Politico article is wrong saying none did. And the hill article even has a revision at the top so I don’t know what to believe. Going to try to find it in the bill summary site at some point cause I can’t seem to rely on reporters at face value for this stuff. It’s all confusing but I generally expect them to know about it since it’s part of their job to cover it
Thanks again for posting!

Weird rant but it’s kinda fucked up how these always go. The vote for this was scheduled to happen around noon Saturday and begin debate/ amendments. It instead was around like 8pm maybe and as a result, the second amendment hit the floor around midnight. So a key process of the years major legislation is done in the AM when no one is awake if interested in watching. I don’t think this is intentional and more about the challenge of herding 100 people to get anything done but I don’t like the lack of transparency. I think the same stuff happened in the Trump tax bill and the American rescue plan. They should have cut offs on scheduling so work is prioritized during reasonable hours. I’m just salty because I didn’t get to see it but I think the gripe has some justice to it.

House is expected to vote today on the bill, returning briefly from their recess. Expected to pass as Dems control the house. There was one obstacle of dem house members who said they’d vote no if the SALT deductio wasn’t raised but they already announced they will vote yes on this bill.

Passed the house as expected, 220-207

House passes Inflation Reduction Act, sends it to Biden
USA Today
The House on Friday passed the Inflation Reduction Act along party lines, rounding out a series of recent wins for President Joe Biden.

The House voted 220-207, with no Republicans joining Democrats in supporting the act.

It now heads to Biden, who is expected to sign it into law next week after months of negotiations between moderate and progressive Democrats, who ultimately reached an agreement late last month.

"We're unified!," Rep. Pramila Jayapal, chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told USA TODAY. "(Democrats are) all in this together. We are all making life better for the American people."

Back