Becoming a MMA/UFC fighter is a really bad career choice. Here is why:

Grijswaarde

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A lot of young kids want to be Conor McGregor, and yes, as far as finances go he is set for life. Same goes for a handful of other MMA fighters, but apart from them becoming a MMA fighter really is one of the worst career choices you can make. Let's just look at the numbers:

Chances of becoming a UFC fighter

According to multiple internet sources there are currently about 5000 active professional MMA fighters. UFC currently has 650 fighters under contract. That means about 13% of all MMA fighters fight for the UFC. That means 1 out of every 7.6 fighters gets to sign a UFC contract. And yes i know there is money to be made in other orgs, but still UFC is obviously the most important org around.

What does the average UFC fighter make?
Of the 18 UFC events held in 2016 for which fighter payouts were publicly disclosed, the median fighter's annual salary was $42,000, according to a Bleacher Report analysis. This includes $50,000 post-fight bonuses but excludes all the Reebok money.

$42,000 really is not a lot of money, especially since fighters have to pay for a lot of expenses like coaches, nutrition etc. The median income in the US is $31,099.

ruiz23k-1-web.jpg

But what about the fighters who become millionairs?
There are without a doubt a lot of fighters that made over a million. But then again, once you earn that $42.000 dollar a year, working 40 year will make you almost 1.7 million. A lot of us if not most of us will make over a million in their lifetime. And even if, let's say 40 MMA fighters got super rich, that is still less than 1% of all MMA fighters.

The worst thing about being a MMA fighter
Brain damage. Physical mileage. Permanent injuries. Constant stress on the body. Constant stress about the next fight. Having only 2 to 3 opportunities a year to climb the ranking. A short career span of about 4 to 8 years. Having to deal with judges and weird decisions. Dealing with the chance of a lucky shot of your opponent.

hqdefault.jpg

Gary Goodridge was one of the best MMA fighers of his era. Now he is not rich at all and suffers from severe brain trauma.

Yes it sucks to be a MMA fighter. There is only a very very very small chance of you becoming a rich superstar. Apart from that you will just have an average income, no other career opportunities besides opening a gym and a lot of physical mileage and possible brain damage.

came in expecting a much better break down than this. This is NOT "by the numbers" just because you show a median earnings per year.

came in expecting a much better break down than this. This is NOT "by the numbers" just because you show a median earnings per year.

Why did you expect? This is what you can expect to make as a UFC fighter, and it sucks. What numbers are you missing? Also there are more numbers in this thread with all respect.

It is just not worse than getting a liberal arts degree for $200 k in America, LMAO

It wasnt even a long read

Thats why Dana always asks them....

Do you wanna be a fucking fighter?

<Dana05>

I agree, provided you’re not at championship level.

If you get into mma, you need to parlay your popularity into something else. Some people just love to fight though.

I agree, provided you’re not at championship level.

If you get into mma, you need to parlay your popularity into something else. Some people just love to fight though.

Problem is the Tank Abotts' of this time don't become champion. Also not back then btw lol.

Depends on a lot of things. There aren't that many careers where you can basically pick something and jump all the way to the top in just a few years, and there are very very very few jobs you could do instead where you would be "set for life" in your early 30s. If they're making more than the national average working far fewer hours, that sounds like a pretty decent career choice. It's not like they were going to be a CEO at google, but decided to fight on UFC prelims instead. Being mediocre at any job isn't going to get anybody rich.

Depends on a lot of things. There aren't that many careers where you can basically pick something and jump all the way to the top in just a few years, and there are very very very few jobs you could do instead where you would be "set for life" in your early 30s. If they're making more than the national average working far fewer hours, that sounds like a pretty decent career choice. It's not like they were going to be a CEO at google, but decided to fight on UFC prelims instead. Being mediocre at any job isn't going to get anybody rich.

Thing is most careers don't require you jumping all the way to the top in a few years, since most careers will last about 30-40 years. MMA does not. And again even the average income of all americans (including McDonalds, people on wellfare etc.) is close to the average income of a UFC fighter.

Mhmmm I dunno

It's probably as financial successful as you make it depending on how good you are
Same with any job

The amount of vagina you'd pick up by using the 'I'm a pro fighter' line
Would easily destroy any other job though

Go visit the neighborhoods of some mma fighters, they aren't making 31 grand in those areas. Not all fighters do it for money either.

Go visit the neighborhoods of some mma fighters, they aren't making 31 grand in those areas. Not all fighters do it for money either.

I guess respect for them... but then again i am just talking about making a career aka making money.

Mhmmm I dunno

It's probably as financial successful as you make it depending on how good you are
Same with any job

The amount of vagina you'd pick up by using the 'I'm a pro fighter' line
Would easily destroy any other job though

True, but this career gives you permanent injuries, brain damage etc. If that is your choice then that is your choice, that much is true.

you cant put a price of standing in that ring or octagon, getting your hand raised in victory

you cant put a price of standing in that ring or octagon, getting your hand raised in victory

Or being beaten into a bloody pulp. MMA is the definition of a all or nothing sport i guess.

Brain damage is the no. 1 reason.

Maybe there are a few guys who like Jake LaMotta who get away with it.

For most others though it's not worth it.

Even for a guy like Muhammad Ali, struggling to hire a nurse to clear drool from your lip in your early 40's is not worth it.

r-kelly-usher-shocked-music-video-reaction-gif-1363306207k.gif

Back