Bellator 130: Newton vs. Vassell 6:45PM ET Prelims/9PM ET MAIN CARD DISCUSSION

You really cant say much, but its always crazy to me how he pulls it off EVERYTIME.

You can't hate on Newton. he's a cool guy and he tries really hard and he keeps winning. He isn't Jon Jones, but that kind of makes him more likeable. He never goes out there to lose, he always makes weight, and he has great cardio. I'll watch him defend as long as he has the belt, even though I'm not a "huge fan."

Newton/Liam should be a lot of fun. It's gonna take a lot to put Newton away, and if Liam can't do it early he may end up in some trouble.

Jon Jones wins the first 4 rounds 10-8, Newton finishes Jones in the final minute of the 5th,

That was probably one of the best examples of the disheartening-strategy [working title] that I've ever seen. It's where you willingly go after your opponents strengths in order to show them that they can't beat you where they're best and where you're at your worst (obvs, it works better in longer fights). It can be a risky strategy, but it pays dividends when it works out. An opponent who loses their spirit is an opponent who's already lost. Newton used this strategy very well.

You can't hate on Newton. he's a cool guy and he tries really hard and he keeps winning. He isn't Jon Jones, but that kind of makes him more likeable. He never goes out there to lose, he always makes weight, and he has great cardio. I'll watch him defend as long as he has the belt, even though I'm not a "huge fan."

Ya the hate he was receiving for his fight with Beltran was pretty lame. He won that fight in impressive fashion, and proved tonight that he is always game and is hard as hell to finish.

Can't wait for Liam vs Newton now. Especially after this fight. This was a sick fight. Beats CC27 vs Slongkong by a few inches.

Newton's run is actually pretty bad ass. Its weird cause I wouldn't really pick him to beat Liam, Rampage, or any Top 10 UFC LHW. But the guy just finds a way to win so you can't count him out.

Liam vs Newton is a very fun fight.

Liam has size, long legs, power, good striking and subs but has no wrestling.

Newton has decent striking, sub defense, can wrestle, has gone 5 rounds, can survive bad starts.

I think Newton can get Liam down and keep him down and avoid being sub'd. Can he stand with Liam without getting blasted though?

Fight got more interesting imo after this performance from Newton.

As bad as Newton is and as much as I dislike him, he does find a way to win

newton has heart, but his ground game isn't very strong. and his opponent's seemed worse

It has passed Chandler-Brooks as the Bellator fight im'most excited to see, and Chandler is my favorite fighter in Bellator.

Not bad.

Liam/Newton, Lima/koreskhov, Chandler/Brooks, Pitbull/Straus, Minakov/Volkov rematch.

All good title fights.

Newton is just a monster. Only people at 205 in the world I'd count him out against and Gus, jon jones and DC

As bad as Newton's ground game looks, Liam's is worse.

You ignant. Liam has excellent sub chains off his back, guard retention, elbows from the bottom, ability to pass on top, and gnp. He has a strong ground game. Maybe you've just seen a couple clips of him murking dudes on the feet and thought that's all he must be able to do.

And Newton's doesn't really look bad on the ground either. He's just not great there. But it's unorthodox like everything else he does. Even the finish he didn't stick the hooks in, just slapped it on. He does what works well for him in general. Trying to explode out the back door serves him as a strategy because he doesn't have much neck to choke, and he's got the hips and cardio to keep scrambling out of bad positions.

That was two good fighters, and a good fight we saw tonight. Enjoy it.

Newton is just a monster. Only people at 205 in the world I'd count him out against and Gus, jon jones and DC

That's not what I got out of this fight. He may be decent, but I don't now what makes him a "monster." :rolleyes:

Not bad.

Liam/Newton, Lima/koreskhov, Chandler/Brooks, Pitbull/Straus, Minakov/Volkov rematch.

All good title fights.

Lima/Koreshkov is either going to be legendary or Lima is going to again prove Koreshkov is terrible on the ground.

good fight. good on emanuel for getting through those first two rounds to come back and get his own submission win.

Back