• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bellator 130: Newton vs. Vassell 6:45PM ET Prelims/9PM ET MAIN CARD DISCUSSION

Liam has size, long legs, power, good striking and subs but has no wrestling.

Newton has decent striking, sub defense, can wrestle, has gone 5 rounds, can survive bad starts.

I think Newton can get Liam down and keep him down and avoid being sub'd. Can he stand with Liam without getting blasted though?

Fight got more interesting imo after this performance from Newton.

I don't think we can even conclude Liam has bad wrestling until an opponent takes him down and stifles him for a win. At this point he hasn't been given any reason to care about getting taken down. Might as well commit to knee and kicks. When he's gotten taken down he's always gotten finishes off his back.

Newton's x-factor is cardio. He's elite in that department. I'd say p4p he's one of the top 10 cardio monsters in the sport. McGeary will be winning the early rounds against him almost surely as Vassell did. The question is can he finish such a durable fighter like Newton, and if not stay effective long enough to win 3 rounds, then survive at the end.

That's not what I got out of this fight. He may be decent, but I don't now what makes him a "monster." :rolleyes:

Not a monster, he's right around top 10-12 right now.

I'd say Jones, Gus, DC, Rashad, Davis, Glover, Bader, Rumble beat him.

After that SHogun, Hendo, Rampage are the next guys around him. Shogun/Hendo old as hell and he could beat, Rampage has more fight left in him than those two so that might be a harder fight.

You ignant. Liam has excellent sub chains off his back, guard retention, elbows from the bottom, ability to pass on top, and gnp. He has a strong ground game. Maybe you've just seen a couple clips of him murking dudes on the feet and thought that's all he must be able to do.

And Newton's doesn't really look bad on the ground either. He's just not great there. But it's unorthodox like everything else he does. Even the finish he didn't stick the hooks in, just slapped it on. He does what works well for him in general. Trying to explode out the back door serves him as a strategy because he doesn't have much neck to choke, and he's got the hips and cardio to keep scrambling out of bad positions.

That was two good fighters, and a good fight we saw tonight. Enjoy it.

That last fight with Annundson his hips didn't look good off his back. He was fishing for keylocks while side mounted. Annundson was too dumb to posture up and spin to mount. That submission before position strategy probably won't work on a scrappy guy like Newton. Vassell's ground game is a lot more technical and tighter than McGeary's and he had Emanual dead in the water early on in the fight with a full tank of gas and dry skin. I don't see McGeary being able to finish what Linton couldn't. He's also hasn't been past the 2nd round in his last 8 fights so cardio and inexperience will be two of the biggest hurdles he facces in the fight. Newton will find a way to win again.

Supposedly we're missing the FOTN right now between Rickels and Ramos. 19-19 thru 2 rounds. #sigh_bellator

I think Atiila Vegh would have still a chance to edge this Newton, unfortunately got released

That last fight with Annundson his hips didn't look good off his back. He was fishing for keylocks while side mounted. Annundson was too dumb to posture up and spin to mount. That submission before position strategy probably won't work on a scrappy guy like Newton. Vassell's ground game is a lot more technical and tighter than McGeary's and he had Emanual dead in the water early on in the fight with a full tank of gas and dry skin. I don't see McGeary being able to finish what Linton couldn't. He's also hasn't been past the 2nd round in his last 8 fights so cardio and inexperience will be two of the biggest hurdles he facces in the fight. Newton will find a way to win again.

He eventually got an inverted triangle from being side mounted after fishing for it repeatedly. So I don't think you are in position to say what he should have been doing instead. Beforehand you probably didn't think that was a smart strategy either, and yet.... And that was against a sticky, high-level wrestler. There are certain guys who the rules don't apply for. Pettis is one. And McGeary is seemingly another. This is a guy who hurt an opponent with elbows off his back. He's unique.

You can't hold it against a guy for finishing fights early. Maybe he doesn't have the cardio to win a 5-rounder, but deserves the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

McGeary is also much better on the feet than Vassell. He's much more powerful than Newton. Every round starts on the feet, and Newton will be under serious threat to be finished every minute of the 25 the fight is on the feet.

McGeary probably will win, as he has a few ways to do so. If Newton wins it will almost surely be due to cardio.

Rickels won 29-28 in a comeback war, reminiscent of the Amoussou-Rickels fight it sounds like.

But still stock up for Ramos. That's a hell of a test for a 4-0 fighter making an organizational debut. Very good showing all things considered. It's not his fault Bellator doesn't care about prospects anymore. Rebney's Bellator he would have faced someone more his experience level or with vastly inferior talent. Ramos is one to watch in the future.

We got Carillo/Navarro though- Bellator made sure to give us access to that.

And a couple other fights where the fighters didn't have the technique to produce a FOTN like Rickels-Ramos did, nor did they have a chance to go anywhere in the future. But Coker says he and Viacom are building fighters and a promotion.

I think Atiila Vegh would have still a chance to edge this Newton, unfortunately got released

The Vegh cut still baffles me, seeing as how he only had one loss in the company (a close decision). Whereas, M"Pumbu is riding four back to back losses (two finishes) and still hasn't gotten the pink slip.

there a gif of coenens finish anywhere?

edit: found it. she really did get her with one arm, barring she didnt have any arms to defend herself

great main event.

Bummed that that was all I managed to catch tonight.

i enjoyed this peformance. card was crap but this was a fine performance from newton. in surviving

Main event was great, that's how ground fighting should be, it was entertaining throughout, lots of scrambles, near subs, reversals, the whole shabang. Props to Newton for surviving early and taking over in the later rounds and getting the finish.

Back