News Bellator 290: Bader vs Fedor 2 (on CBS) February 4th.

Dude that event was a dud last night. Empty seats crowd was dead. Kinda embarrassing for the ufc.
Yeah it was a pretty lackluster return to Brazil despite the card itself delivering (unless you were brazilian cuz then a bunch of your guys lost).

Think it was mainly due to the start time since it was quite late for Brazil. Card started at 5:30 pm ET, which is 7:30 pm for Brazil. Can't imagine loads of people would be keen on staying up til 3 am just to see two former champs get beat up.

Very puzzling move since the norm for overseas events is to cater the start time to the local time, not the US one.

Wonder if they will keep up the lie about it being the X consecutive sold out event
Probably, I don't think there's a single MMA promoter who wouldn't lie or twist numbers in their favor. There's no positive outcome for that.

Yeah it was a pretty lackluster return to Brazil despite the card itself delivering (unless you were brazilian cuz then a bunch of your guys lost).

Think it was mainly due to the start time since it was quite late for Brazil. Card started at 5:30 pm ET, which is 7:30 pm for Brazil. Can't imagine loads of people would be keen on staying up til 3 am just to see two former champs get beat up.

Very puzzling move since the norm for overseas events is to cater the start time to the local time, not the US one.
Yeah ufc usually coasts by on their brand name and expects success but I’m glad ppl spoke with their wallets. UFC quality is diminishing by the week.

Most promo starts the week off for majority of combat sports, besides the UFC who decided to just do nothing this week

I saw an interesting comment last year that pointed out just how little promotion the UFC actually does, especially outside of a PPV fight week. It's the fighter's social media and them doing interviews that do the heavy lifting.

A UFC fighter can be on w/ Ariel and it's split up into news for multiple days or even a week. A fighter outside of the UFC does interviews, but unless they talk about the UFC, nothing comes of it.

I saw an interesting comment last year that pointed out just how little promotion the UFC actually does, especially outside of a PPV fight week. It's the fighter's social media and them doing interviews that do the heavy lifting.

A UFC fighter can be on w/ Ariel and it's split up into news for multiple days or even a week. A fighter outside of the UFC does interviews, but unless they talk about the UFC, nothing comes of it.
Like Guese Guy said, the UFC coasts from name recognition and size. People just know a UFC is coming every Saturday, what is on that card is second priority.

Tbf the actual fights were really good. One of the more entertaining recent cards.
Decent card. In terms of fanfare it was embarrassing for ufc. The real bright spot was the Bonfim brothers. Can see those guys becoming the face of UFC in Brazil eventually. But anyway, this is what happens when you’re cheap and treat fighters like shit. I bet you that building would’ve sold out if they had a young popular Brasilian headliner like Paulo Costa. But ufc refuses to pay anyone more than minimum wage. They deserve everything they get.

Decent card. In terms of fanfare it was embarrassing for ufc. The real bright spot was the Bonfim brothers. Can see those guys becoming the face of UFC in Brazil eventually. But anyway, this is what happens when you’re cheap and treat fighters like shit. I bet you that building would’ve sold out if they had a young popular Brasilian headliner like Paulo Costa. But ufc refuses to pay anyone more than minimum wage. They deserve everything they get.
The Bonfim bros. are the future of the Brazilian MMA scene. If Bellator, PFL, ONE, etc. wanted to make a play for the Brazilian market then they should have given them a big bag of money and make 2 events a year in Brazil. The UFC got them cheap and will probably use them as their face in the coming years.

Also, judging by the crowd on Saturday maybe the Brazilian MMA scene is not very profitable. The Euro market is probably where the money is.

The Bonfim bros. are the future of the Brazilian MMA scene. If Bellator, PFL, ONE, etc. wanted to make a play for the Brazilian market then they should have given them a big bag of money and make 2 events a year in Brazil. The UFC got them cheap and will probably use them as their face in the coming years.

Also, judging by the crowd on Saturday maybe the Brazilian MMA scene is not very profitable. The Euro market is probably where the money is.
Apparently tickets were like 500-1100 BRL and the average monthly income in Brasil is 1300 BRL. And the card started at 12 AM local time. Just a slap in the face to brasilian ppl.

Apparently tickets were like 500-1100 BRL and the average monthly income in Brasil is 1300 BRL. And the card started at 12 AM local time. Just a slap in the face to brasilian ppl.
Shit, no wonder there were some empty seats. The prelims were pretty great but the main card was average. Name value it wasnt worth that much, imo.

So do we think this outdraws Power Slap?
<Ellaria01>
A Fedor fight, and Powerslap, should never be mentioned in the same sentence you sick bastard.
Oh God, now I did it too :(

But to answer your question, it probably won’t outdraw it, because the world is a horrible cruel place where idiots reign.
It’s not even just about Fedor, this is actually a pretty damn good MMA card—but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the UFC’s pet Idiocracy project outdraws it.

Did you ever see Idiocracy? Everyone’s favorite tv show is “Ow! My Balls!” and it’s just people getting hit in the nuts over and over? Powerslap is basically “Ow! My Face!”

Fedor has aged better than almost any fighter out there tbh

His skills still look good.

He's still fast and explosive and obviously has power.

Bader is an aged fighter now as well.

Their last fight really means nothing here.

Fedor has aged better than almost any fighter out there tbh

His skills still look good.

He's still fast and explosive and obviously has power.

Bader is an aged fighter now as well.

Their last fight really means nothing here.
Even then, the fact that Bader hurt Moldavsky when they fought shows the power is still there and the dynamic might have not changed.

Back