Belt question after long layoff

I’ve been off the mats since 2014, I’m a two stripe blue belt with over 8 years of training, and I’ve been debating a comeback at a new gym as well and wearing a white belt just for the fun of it.

Today was my first day back, due to some covid exposures, being sick myself, etc it took a bit longer than I wanted but it was good to be on the mats again.

I'm super out of shape, not flexible at all and rusty as hell but it was fun.

Instructor was definitely insistent I wear my blue, stand in the proper order of the lineup etc.

Was pretty cool cause there was another 1 stripe blue who has been off the mat for like 14 years who just started up so I had some solidarity.

Wear your blue belt. Knock off the rust. Never demote yourself especially if you've competed at that belt level. Just work through the ring rust

Today was my first day back, due to some covid exposures, being sick myself, etc it took a bit longer than I wanted but it was good to be on the mats again.

I'm super out of shape, not flexible at all and rusty as hell but it was fun.

Instructor was definitely insistent I wear my blue, stand in the proper order of the lineup etc.

Was pretty cool cause there was another 1 stripe blue who has been off the mat for like 14 years who just started up so I had some solidarity.

Nice man. I took off 5 years after getting my blue belt as well. Been back at it for almost 5 years now and it's been great.

Nice man. I took off 5 years after getting my blue belt as well. Been back at it for almost 5 years now and it's been great.
Thanks man. It was good for sure. Surprisingly not too sore today. Hoping to go back again later this week or this weekend at the latest.

belts mean nothing as danaher said, " there are plenty of blackbelts that suck".

Dont stress over it. Just pick up the one you want to use.

belts mean nothing as danaher said, " there are plenty of blackbelts that suck".

Dont stress over it. Just pick up the one you want to use.

There are plenty of socially promoted black belts that suck. No one that did the training sucks. It's just that a lot of people don't have time, but they pay their money and give it half a shot, so they get rewarded.

Reactions: CI
Been a few weeks in now, slowly getting back to feeling better on the mats.

Did my first sparring recently and it absolutely kicked my ass. Didn't get subbed left and right or anything crazy but just fighting for positions and the like absolutely annihilated me.

Been a few weeks in now, slowly getting back to feeling better on the mats.

Did my first sparring recently and it absolutely kicked my ass. Didn't get subbed left and right or anything crazy but just fighting for positions and the like absolutely annihilated me.
Good work.
I've returned myself this year after my first break in 9 years, had roughly a year away after feeling burnt out. Just some advise I'd give is remove all the pressure from yourself and just enjoy getting back out there.

belts mean nothing as danaher said, " there are plenty of blackbelts that suck"..

Danaher can say that when he has a guy like Gordan smashing everyone he competes against.

Reactions: CI
Good work.
I've returned myself this year after my first break in 9 years, had roughly a year away after feeling burnt out. Just some advise I'd give is remove all the pressure from yourself and just enjoy getting back out there.

This has been the best advice for me. I'm just focusing on learning, getting back in shape and conditioning.

Not worrying about how I'm perceived, checking my ego, etc. Has been very helpful.

This has been the best advice for me. I'm just focusing on learning, getting back in shape and conditioning.

Not worrying about how I'm perceived, checking my ego, etc. Has been very helpful.

This is honestly the correct attitude for daily training, regardless of time away or not. Sometimes it's hard to check your ego, but it's for the best.

Today I got choked out by a blue belt (I'm a purple with many more years of training) and was a little upset with myself when I woke up and realized I'd gone out. But that quickly passed and I congratulated the guy and asked him to recreate the position with me so I could correct what I did wrong - just like I do when a black or brown catches me in something unexpected.

It depends.

Were you awarded that blue belt based solely on tapping other blue belts in class or competition? If so, since you can't do that anymore, might be time to give it back.

But if you were awarded that blue belt based on your knowledge of the art, then keep it. You can't lose knowledge.

Very similar situation brother.

Mostly Judoka ex wrestler did BJJ a few years back (no judo) got blue belt, next duty station went back to Judo, no Judo at current place walked into BJJ club asked coach about belt for being so rusty...told me to wear it despite being out of the game, got worked...several months later, given first stripe.

Somebody better at the game than you gave you that belt...

I'm in the exact same position buddy, traveling for work didn't allow me to train then covid hit so it's been 5 years of no training. Went back on Monday, it was a small class so 75 mins of just rolling king of the ring style... I caught two white belts with Ezekiel chokes other than that I got whooped lol. 0 gas tank, but i loved every minute of it.

I'm in the exact same position buddy, traveling for work didn't allow me to train then covid hit so it's been 5 years of no training. Went back on Monday, it was a small class so 75 mins of just rolling king of the ring style... I caught two white belts with Ezekiel chokes other than that I got whooped lol. 0 gas tank, but i loved every minute of it.

For me:

(Major negatives)

bottom game=sucks ass, was good enough dealing with spazzier judoka trying to pass guard the last three years.. not so much back in BJJ, three years of Judo after blue belt promotion probably hurt that game

guard passing=has been better....mostly waiting for mistakes

(On the plus side)

If I get past your guard my old school fat judoka ass is going to wear you down with the pressure and patience....then I'll take an arm or neck...30s hold downs were my bread and butter...45-60s means you can't breathe anymore and gimme that sub...

My newest BJJ coach is a leglock guy...I have surprisingly hit more than a few lower body submissios rolling, get caught often as well but 50/50 on getting subbed vs subbing for me is a huge win in my book...going to suck when I get back to judo....lol

Very similar situation brother.

Mostly Judoka ex wrestler did BJJ a few years back (no judo) got blue belt, next duty station went back to Judo, no Judo at current place walked into BJJ club asked coach about belt for being so rusty...told me to wear it despite being out of the game, got worked...several months later, given first stripe.

Somebody better at the game than you gave you that belt...

I've been out for two months due to injury followed by covid, trying to get back in this week.

I expect to be weak and slow with reduced gas tank. That'll go away with consistent training though.

Back