Belt question after long layoff

Protectandserve

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So after various life issues that propped up the last few years I am finally in a postion to get back on the mats after a very extended layoff.

I was a 1 stripe blue belt but its now been almost 6 years since I was on the mats. Did a few competitions years back as well.

Starting back up here in the next week or so and want some advice, do I wear the blue or do I just start fresh with a white belt?

I'm pretty out of shape and my grappling skills are gonna be atrocious.

So after various life issues that propped up the last few years I am finally in a postion to get back on the mats after a very extended layoff.

I was a 1 stripe blue belt but its now been almost 6 years since I was on the mats. Did a few competitions years back as well.

Starting back up here in the next week or so and want some advice, do I wear the blue or do I just start fresh with a white belt?

Talk to the instructor in advance and tell him your situation. 99% of the time they're going to tell you to wear your blue but it will be understood by instructor and other students you've been off the mats for a long time. As long as you clear it with the instructor first, there should be no issue.

I think it's unfair to everyone if you come in as a white belt after being given another title. I know it will feel like you're behind when you first start, but you'll improve so much better than other white belts it will be confusing. People who've been training for months will wonder why they're not improving the way you are. Experienced guys will wonder why the new "white belt" is making them breathe so hard. Coaches will wonder why the new guy is moving so quickly past his other students and will wonder how to promote you.

Just take your medicine and wear the blue belt. No one should be awarded the same belt twice.

Just wear your blue belt.
The fitness and techniques will come back.
Everyone will notice that you had a long break but no one really would care much about it.
It is normal and acceptable.
The one that self demotes is the one that is usually frowned upon.

Wear whatever belt you've been given and don't give a fuck.

You might be feeling insecure about not 'matching up' to expectations, but nobody respects self-demoters.

The belt is a diary, & to some degree, an indicator of knowledge and/or experience. It is not a guaranteer of performance.

You earned that bluebelt. No one has the right to take it away from you, not even yourself.

Talk to the instructor in advance and tell him your situation. 99% of the time they're going to tell you to wear your blue but it will be understood by instructor and other students you've been off the mats for a long time. As long as you clear it with the instructor first, there should be no issue.
First response nails it

As long as your ego can handle a beat down as by a white belt, wear your blue belt. If it can't handle it, wear your blue belt and learn to do something about it.

It ain't just long lay offs, it can happen in day to day , regular training. A older black belt who's doing it for fun is probably not going to be able to handle a competitive blue belt in their 20s. They might stymie them for awhile but it's usually only a matter of time before everything just catches up.

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned this. I'm a one stripe blue belt and laid off for the exact same time. It didn't even occur to me to come back as a white belt. Pretty sure you can't even do that. My white belt is framed and I'm working on adding stripes to the blue. If I hadn't quit I'd be a black belt by now.

And dude jits is like riding a bike. Let the rust come off and you'll be tapping out people in no time.

First response nails it

Id argue if an instructor tells you to go back to white, hes a hack.

You earned your belt. Persumably legitimately and you put the time on the mats to get it. No one has the right to take that away. I dont care if he's a 12 degree red belt grand master.

If we demote people based solely on their abilities and not knowledge and time spent training, does that mean as soon as you get old and your skills significantly diminish, you should get your belt taken away?

Id argue if an instructor tells you to go back to white, hes a hack.

You earned your belt. Persumably legitimately and you put the time on the mats to get it. No one has the right to take that away. I dont care if he's a 12 degree red belt grand master.

If we demote people based solely on their abilities and not knowledge and time spent training, does that mean as soon as you get old and your skills significantly diminish, you should get your belt taken away?
Agreed

You are a blue belt, at least in knowledge. You earned it.

It would be an insult to the professor that issued it not to wear it.

However, I know what you mean about feeling out of it. Wear it anyway. It will mentally help you to strive to get back to where you were, rather than coming in and coasting a bit until you feel good about your training.

Yeah, you definitely dont demote yourself.

You might feel like a sucky blue belt at first, but i can guarantee you, that you will still be above white belt level when you return.

Ive had several absences, mainly with injury. One being 3 years. Yet when i went back, after a few weeks i was literally on par again, with my similar belt coloured team-mates , like i was before i stopped. ( Not high level i may add though ).

Theres no way you will be going back there with zero skills like new white belts. Most of the basic stuff never leaves you, its just some details you will be missing, along with cardio you will lack.

I’ve been off the mats since 2014, I’m a two stripe blue belt with over 8 years of training, and I’ve been debating a comeback at a new gym as well and wearing a white belt just for the fun of it.

Back