Belts...I’m lost

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Can anyone help me understand the history of belts, why we have so many, and which are the most significant? Or direct me to an article for dummies?

Lineal or Ring are probably the best followed by WBA. It is stupid because boxers pay a fee for these belts so that the belt organizers promote them.

Lost? Yeah, we all are.

It's an era of bullshit. Unless it's lineal or unified to some extent, I stop caring.

I'd still count the big 4. Just think of them as titlists, not champions.

WBA WBC IBF WBO. RING as well but that's not an org like the others, it's more prestigious, tho. Much more complex than just that but just a baseline to go by.

Alternative champions have always existed in boxing regardless of the time, but the current "big 4" sanctioning bodies were only really empowered (by network television wanting to show "championship fights") after the US Championship/Ring Magazine scandal in the mid/late 70's.

WBA WBC IBF WBO. RING as well but that's not an org like the others, it's more prestigious, tho. Much more complex than just that but just a baseline to go by.
RING lost a ton of credibility when Oscar bought it. I don't think that belt means a lot anymore.

RING lost a ton of credibility when Oscar bought it. I don't think that belt means a lot anymore.
oh yeah forgot Oscar and gbp bought that out several years back. Definitely some bias there. I still think it means something but yeah, I agree it most likely doesn't mean nearly what it used to.

Back