Bergdahl Charged With Desertion

That's Israel, I'm talking about my country. We traded five dangerous terrorists who will go back to killing innocent civilians for one deserter. We shouldn't be negotiating with them at all, let alone negotians where we get fucked over this bad.

For once, Nicky is right. It was totally political move, but we had to get him back, if only to put him on trial and burn him at the stake.

I think that I read he just went for a walk one evening and never came back. Prior to that, letters to his father indicated that he hated the Army (big surprise) and that he was ashamed to be an American.

Because no one knew where he went, soldiers, in addition to their other missions, had to take on search missions for Bergdahl's stupid ass. That's his role in their deaths. Would have been nice if they'd known he was deserting instead of being captured or something like that.

This is what I read too, and if it comes out as true that dude was just allowed to wander about on his own, at night at times, heads are going to roll.

For once, Nicky is right. It was totally political move, but we had to get him back, if only to put him on trial and burn him at the stake.

True, but the ends didn't justify the means. The people we released are horrible scum and the whole world saw the U.S get lesser hand in a deal.

I'm surprised that the far left hasn't started a go fund me for this cowardly traitor

Israel trades hundreds of prisoners to get their people back. I just kind of think regardless if the guy is an idiot, he's an American soldier and you get him back if you can.

Obviously that's not how Obama was thinking when he had the rose garden ceremony and said "he was never forgotten." And then Rice said he served with honor and distinction.

I think some of his motivation was to clear it of guys that no other county wanted to take.

I think the rest was just a fuckup; he forgot that stories had already been published that he more than just a deserter

That's Israel, I'm talking about my country. We traded five dangerous terrorists who will go back to killing innocent civilians for one deserter. We shouldn't be negotiating with them at all, let alone negotians where we get fucked over this bad.

The US has been in talks with the Taliban for a while, they are a political force that will stay unless the US kills every single pashtun in Afghanistan and Pakistan

he was an American, our ideals don't allow for letting our own rot. Fuck those terrorists and their overrated danger to society at large, they are just criminals who will likely end up getting killed or living in squalor. If you're really concerned with not getting civilians killed or wasting money how about complaining about drone strikes that don't accomplish much, not to mention they kill tons of innocent people, are directly from us and cost HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS to build and operate.

he was an American, our ideals don't allow for letting our own rot. Fuck those terrorists and their overrated danger to society at large, they are just criminals who will likely end up getting killed or living in squalor. If you're really concerned with not getting civilians killed or wasting money how about complaining about drone strikes that don't accomplish much, not to mention they kill tons of innocent people, are directly from us and cost HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS to build and operate.

Our American ideals allow for affirmatively killing our own when they desert -- that is, after all, the legal punishment -- so I'm not sure why our ideals also necessarily require us to seize deserters back. We leave deserters to rot all the time. It's actually a bizarre exception for us to get them back by paying money or terrorists.

We don't leave prisoners behind, but deserters, of course we leave them behind.

True, but the ends didn't justify the means. The people we released are horrible scum and the whole world saw the U.S get lesser hand in a deal.

I agree they're horrible people. The reality is that inside of 5 years, more than likely 2, we'd have released those guys when we release everyone in Gitmo, and we'd have gotten nothing out of them.

I completely understand your point, I do, it's valid, but I would rather give up 5 people we will have to give up anyways, for one of ours, even if he's a complete moron. I do see your side, I sincerely do, but fuck man, we don't leave Americans behind! If we can get him back we do it. Even if I'd like to kick his ass lol.

How would it have looked if he was sold to ISIL - and he was drawn and quartered in one of their propaganda videos or set on fire in a cage etc?

Haqqani network is closely aligned with Pakistan's ISI right? Could it be there was more to this deal than a straight 5-for-1 swap?

Can these Taliban fighters simply go back to fighting - can they be trusted anymore by their own? Maybe they've been flipped and are now on the CIA payroll.

First off, I'm pretty much right 99% of the time, but I agree, we get him back, and if this idiot is guilty we nail his ass to the wall! He got some good people killed by being an idiot. We can't allow him to get away with it.

Obviously that's not how Obama was thinking when he had the rose garden ceremony and said "he was never forgotten." And then Rice said he served with honor and distinction.

I think some of his motivation was to clear it of guys that no other county wanted to take.

I think the rest was just a fuckup; he forgot that stories had already been published that he more than just a deserter

We got him back, period, if he messed up, he will have his day in court, he isn't convicted yet. WE DON'T LEAVE AMERICANS BEHIND!

First off, I'm pretty much right 99% of the time, but I agree, we get him back, and if this idiot is guilty we nail his ass to the wall! He got some good people killed by being an idiot. We can't allow him to get away with it.

This is the second time you've been right. Ever.

Our American ideals allow for affirmatively killing our own when they desert -- that is, after all, the legal punishment -- so I'm not sure why our ideals also necessarily require us to seize deserters back. We leave deserters to rot all the time. It's actually a bizarre exception for us to get them back by paying money or terrorists.

We don't leave prisoners behind, but deserters, of course we leave them behind.

don't we establish desertion in this day and age by actually interrogating the deserter? Your antiquated idea of how this "should" work is...antiquated. In this particular instance, it's not like there wasn't debate as to what happened with this guy.

He's also more valuable in almost every way when compared to the shit kicker idiots we traded him for.

This is the second time you've been right. Ever.

What about the time I said 2+2=4?

And what about the other day when I agreed with you? That means at least 4, which shows a trend in any rational mind!

What about the time I said 2+2=4?

And what about the other day when I agreed with you? That means at least 4, which shows a trend in any rational mind!

Don't be trying to come all up in here with yer book learin', Nicky.

don't we establish desertion in this day and age by actually interrogating the deserter? Your antiquated idea of how this "should" work is...antiquated. In this particular instance, it's not like there wasn't debate as to what happened with this guy.

He's also more valuable in almost every way when compared to the shit kicker idiots we traded him for.

Not generally. There are two categories of deserters. The ones who run away from the battle front, and (much rarer) the ones who run over the line to take refuge on the other side. The latter category, Bergdahl's category, are generally left to rot, unless there's a prisoner exchange when the war ends. We'll find out more in connection with the proceedings, but all indications are that this guy was hanging out with the allied Afghans rather than other troops and attempted to go native. We aren't any more obligated to rescue him than any other deserters who cross over to join N. Korea, Soviet Russia, N. Vietnam, etc. They were left to rot with their choice.

And how is he more valuable relative to the Taliban commanders? He's a traitorous liability, a cost center. This prosecution will cost 1000x more than his life is worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back