Best brazilian jujitsu artist in MMA history?

Is it Jacare, Maia, Werdum, Big Nog, Royler Gracie, Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Charles Oliveira, Royce Gracie, who's you pick?

EDIT: Only top MMA fighters should be considered here. As in "which fighter has best utilised BJJ in MMA".
most definitely jim miller

jake shields
Shields is definitely underrated in these convos. I’d put him in the same tier as Maia. Shields was basically a smaller version of Dean Lister who was actually able to mount a HoF level MMA career

Big Nog and Werdum have been the most successful in MMA by far

Everyone will say Jacare, Maia or Werdum, but for me its
20150530100907_IMG_6012.JPG

also has the most submissions in UFC history

Olivera has multiple submission losses in the UFC. How can he have better BJJ than guys who've submitted him?

So Jim Miller has a better BJJ game then Oliveira just because he submitted him? lol

{<huh}

um, yes?

I'd say if someone beats you at something that's a pretty good indication that they're better at it than you.

Shields is definitely underrated in these convos. I’d put him in the same tier as Maia. Shields was basically a smaller version of Dean Lister who was actually able to mount a HoF level MMA career

Shields should definitely be considered on the same level as Maia in terms of MMA BJJ his takedowns and submissions aren't as good but he's way better at sweeps and control.

I thought it was interesting that two guys who can put on pretty boring fights had a great fight with each other. Shields and Maia can be entertaining with the right match up.

Shields should definitely be considered on the same level as Maia in terms of MMA BJJ his takedowns and submissions aren't as good but he's way better at sweeps and control.

I thought it was interesting that two guys who can put on pretty boring fights had a great fight with each other. Shields and Maia can be entertaining with the right match up.
I'm probably in the minority but I tend to find every Shields fight to be entertaining

I'm probably in the minority but I tend to find every Shields fight to be entertaining

I like most of his fights too, i'm a bigger fan of grappling than most people though. I thought the Shields vs Maia fight was awesome. Maia kept getting takedowns then getting swept and would then work for submissions and try to get back up or on top and repeat. It's nice seeing evenly matched high level grappling fighters go at it.

Jacare is a great example of a jiujitsu guy who learned how to wrestle and strike in MMA.
jacare is a scary individual. dude has bjj, wrestling, decent top game and has fucking ko power. Still shocked at Kevin's chin. don't know how he survived those bombs. weidman got slept and weidman is no slouch.

I like most of his fights too, i'm a bigger fan of grappling than most people though. I thought the Shields vs Maia fight was awesome. Maia kept getting takedowns then getting swept and would then work for submissions and try to get back up or on top and repeat. It's nice seeing evenly matched high level grappling fighters go at it.
me too. I love guys like shields, Fitch, usman, Covington,.

I´ve jus´said that Kopylov schooled Nog in the 1st Round of their fight, which was arguably the lone round Nog [legit] lost in Rings...So I put things into perspective.

tbh I have zero interest in BJJ credentials, my focus is the MMA/NHB scene.
BJJ dudes like Doom are pretty textbook BJJ, not what I would call a dynamic grappling like the one you can appreciate in the Nog vs Labasanov [RTT] fight, or Nog vs Volk.

Did we watch the same fight? If that is your definition of a schooling I really have to question your judgment...

jacare is a scary individual. dude has bjj, wrestling, decent top game and has fucking ko power. Still shocked at Kevin's chin. don't know how he survived those bombs. weidman got slept and weidman is no slouch.
I really thought Jacare was going to be the best in the world, but his footwork cardio and defense never came together.

Did we watch the same fight? If that is your definition of a schooling I really have to question your judgment...

I really thought Jacare was going to be the best in the world, but his footwork cardio and defense never came together.

Ya should question yours.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...art-16-the-2-hw-goats.3851935/#post-145851601

Controversial Fights:

> vs Kopylov:

Nobody talks about this fight, but I have to keep it real...

Kopylov vs Minotau Round 1... IIRC, in my mind, that was the only round Nog potentially lost in Rings...
The ol´Vet definitely schooled him in that round...
And we´re talkin´ about a Prime Minotau, grappling-wise [striking wise, his prime was after his Cuban stint, in Pride].
Obviously, Kopylov was too old & broken to sustain this pace in Rd 2, and gassed badly.
The fight ended with a Majority decision in Minotau´s favour: 2 Draws & 1 Judge gave it to him.

you don't love zombie mode jacare??

Back