• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best every-day carry knife?

RolentoGrenades

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Schrade schf9 from Academy Sports to take with me on hunting and fishing trips. I also have a decent Kershaw foldup with the Snap-On logo (some sort of cross promotion/licensing they did). The Kershaw is a Japanese blade, so it's quite high quality, but very short and ineffective for more general utilitarian tasks. A mechanic buddy of mine basically just gave it to me. The Schrade is way too large for every day carry, but is made of pretty good steel (1095). My only gripe with the Schrade is that it isn't stainless, so it will rust if not properly maintained.

So just wondering for the knife carrying guys here, what do you carry?

I have a couple of Benchmade knives I switch between. They are my favorite brand of knife. Overall I just recommend a sharp folder that is still legal to carry.

I carry a machete around my local supermarket because I'm cool like that. :icon_lol:

I used to carry a cold steel ,tanto tip with serrated edge 6inch blade...

But not anymore thank god

Probably be better suited int he weapons and tactics subforum of the standup forum. Not trying to be a dick, that subforum is pretty hidden and I didn't even know about it up until a few months ago. Lots of threads on this in there.

I like the old Kershaw Onion I had and lost. I usually buy a cheap ass sub 20 dollar knife to carry around. That way if I have to use it for medical purposes or break it trying to pry something, I don't feel bad throwing it out.

Ka-Bar

Ka-bar.jpg

Probably be better suited int he weapons and tactics subforum of the standup forum. Not trying to be a dick, that subforum is pretty hidden and I didn't even know about it up until a few months ago. Lots of threads on this in there.

I like the old Kershaw Onion I had and lost. I usually buy a cheap ass sub 20 dollar knife to carry around. That way if I have to use it for medical purposes or break it trying to pry something, I don't feel bad throwing it out.

Ah, didn't see the subforum.

Kershaw actually makes pretty good stuff, but I've noticed they now suddenly have a lot of licensed products and lower-end selections for a different market. Same with Benchmade. But their higher end stuff is still ridiculously nice as usual.

I like the Ka-Bar knives and Ontario too. I've also been checking through Busse's line of combat knives, which could double as utility blades, but they are a little out of my price range. Great quality though.

my edc knives are:

leatherman crater

Leatherman_Knife_Crater_c33L-c33Lx_8601240.jpg

spyderco ladybug
spyderco-knives-6.jpg

they are not top quality, but they hold an edge long enough and are cheap enough that losing is not an issue [tho you can attach a lanyard to both]

kershaw is a good company generally for knives, ive always wanted a blur

my edc knives are:

leatherman crater

Leatherman_Knife_Crater_c33L-c33Lx_8601240.jpg

spyderco ladybug
spyderco-knives-6.jpg

they are not top quality, but they hold an edge long enough and are cheap enough that losing is not an issue [tho you can attach a lanyard to both]

kershaw is a good company generally for knives, ive always wanted a blur

Yeah, just got done looking at the Spyderco website. They seem to be real popular. Not really huge on that style, but they seem durable.

My friend is a knife designer....

P1230144-2%20(Large).jpg

maxvenom_karambite_1.jpg

That's awesome. I'd prefer a hand made knife to anything mass produced, but realistically I'm not going to be able to afford that, heh.

Just checked that guy's catalog. Seems reasonably priced. Is it produced by him personally or is it made somewhere else?

Yeah, just got done looking at the Spyderco website. They seem to be real popular. Not really huge on that style, but they seem durable.

That's awesome. I'd prefer a hand made knife to anything mass produced, but realistically I'm not going to be able to afford that, heh.

he sells the Karambite for $98

Back