Best every-day carry knife?

Quick questions, this might sound completely dumb. But is it common for people to carry around knives where you folks are from? I live in Canada and I haven't really heard of anyone carrying a knife. Also is it for self defence or practical every day uses?

Some of these are awesome looking though. I really like the Kabar.

I'm originally from Canada and I know plenty of people that carry them from self defence as well as practical reasons.

Quick questions, this might sound completely dumb. But is it common for people to carry around knives where you folks are from? I live in Canada and I haven't really heard of anyone carrying a knife. Also is it for self defence or practical every day uses?

Some of these are awesome looking though. I really like the Kabar.

I live in a fairly rural area in Pennsylvania and a lot of my friends carry knives, usually just a small folding pocket knife. The knife I've been edcing for the past couple years is the Kershaw Packrat, partially serrated. It's great for utilitarian tasks and is single hand use. Here is nutnfancy's review of it, which strongly influenced my purchase of the knife.

61jhlZxgx5L._SL1200_.jpg

Some people hate serrations. I find them to be useful myself. I checked out a Gerber Prodigy a few months back and many complained that it'd be perfect if the serrations were removed, but I disagree.

Depends on the usage.

Serrations are great if you primarily use your knife to cut things open, in half or otherwise don't need a great degree of precision or control.

OTOH, a serrated edge generally precludes it from being used for fine work, like you might need out of an every day bush knife. Notching, carving, shaving, stripping, etc are very difficult with a serrated edge.

IMO, partially serrated edges are the worst. In compromising, they can't do either as well. You essentially end up with a 1.5 long serrated knife and a 1.5 long plain edge. When I in the bush, I took to always having a separate serrated edge and a separate plain edge on me.

Don't see how EDC knives belong in Weapons and Tactics. This is a discussion about tools, not weapons.

I've got a Kershaw Blur here in Afghanistan that I use daily to cut open stuff.

At the PD I carry a Cold Steel Recon 1 that is very useful for car accidents. Thing cuts plastic bumpers off with ease. Quick fix for when they are jammed in a wheel well and saves people a tow truck ride.

For guys looking for smaller fixed blade options here are some suggestions:

Becker Necker (scales sold separately or you could paracord wrap the handle)
bk11.jpg

Brous Silent Solder (wharncliffe model)
Brous_Silent_Soldier_V1-500x500.jpg

Brous Silent Soldier (drop point)
Brous_Silent_Soldier_V2-500x500.jpg

The becker options are much more affordable but I got a chance to handle one of the brous models and I was really impressed. D2 steel holds an edge well but can take a bit more time to sharpen.

I work in film and tv broadcasting, a knife is part of my edc. I have a cs recon tanto point, but that thing is a beast. I'm in public schools often and cannot have a knife that large on me, so I am in the market for a new work knife.

Folder, drop point, 3", not too wide(scary looking lol), and withing the 30$-60$ Price range.

Anyone mention Karambit? For every day carry, it is probably the best, in terms of defense. They're usually small enough to conceal easily. I'm going to pick one up sometime.

I work in film and tv broadcasting, a knife is part of my edc. I have a cs recon tanto point, but that thing is a beast. I'm in public schools often and cannot have a knife that large on me, so I am in the market for a new work knife.

Folder, drop point, 3", not too wide(scary looking lol), and withing the 30$-60$ Price range.

Kershaw OD1
Knife-Kershaw-OD1_0112.jpg

Kershaw Skyline
KE-1760.jpg

If you're willing to up your budget a few bucks or if you can look around on the secondary market, the benchmade mini griptilian is a great choice and they come in some nice subdued colours
fe69_12.JPG

Last edited:
Best every-day carry knife?

really subjective imo.....

i swap knives every few days. some of what i carry are better suited as weapons than utility tools, some are purely tools. depends on my mood.

if i had to get rid of all of my knives but one, id probably keep my sebenza.

fair amount of cutting edge in a relatively small package. slim and narrow.

quality steel, holds and edge well enough and easy enough to sharpen

smoothest pivot and lock of any knife ive had so far

very strong and simple design, guaranteed to survive just about anything

excellent warranty and customer service.

plus titanium is just cool imo

i have other knives that are more interesting looking, but long term....id still chose my sebenza

I just have to say, I am shocked at the lack, or actual absence of SOG knives. My EDC, although technically illegal in Chicago is the SOG Trident.

tf7_bg.jpg

In my camping/bug out bag I also carry the Creed

SOGCD02c.jpg

and the Force

SOGSE38Na.jpg

I love the AUS-8 steel. Holds the edge well, and when it does need sharpening, 2-3 minutes with a Spyderco Sharpmaker, you can shave with it. That being said, even though I hate the aesthetics, I do really want a Spyderco Salt with the H1 steel as I have heard wonderful things about them, I just hate the way they look. It seems to me that most of the people that love them are divers, and I fucking hate the ocean. Pool > Ocean all day, and once again, I'm in Chicago so saltwater isn't a problem unless I leave it in the street after a snow melt.

Overall though, I love all of the SOG pieces I've ever had. Also have a Voodoo Hawk hatchet, although that's not AUS-8. Still does the job for a couple days in the woods though.

And yes, the black finish blades do get scratched up, but I have them for utility, not show pieces.

You like Cold Steel. Get a voyager. They have 3" blades in different styles: tanto, clip and spear point. With or without serrations. I think you can get them for $45-55 on Amazon.

anything USA made
mini griptilian is one of the finest under $100

I just picked up a Cold Steel Braveheart. It's a nice small straight blade that I can easily conceal. As far as folders, I carry a SOG Zoom and an Emerson/Kershaw CQC 8K. I think both folders fit my mitt nicely and are easy opening.

Back