Best Gatekeepers of all time in MMA

If you actually get the Title shot, then YOU made it THROUGH THE GATE... the fighter you defeated to get there was the Gakekeeper.

Though I won't say there aren't exceptions.

(((DODGERS HOMERUN!)))

Former Champions and former Contenders who might be past their prime)can serve that role too, but they are Champions and Contenders from a career perspective.

No, if you get the title shot INSTEAD of the top contender, you actually GO AROUND the gate.

Getting one title shot in your entire career does make you a contender for your entire career. The term for that is perennial contender, someone who is constantly in contention. A perennial contender is not a gatekeeper. However, getting one title shot in your entire career does not make you a perennial contender, especially if 90% of your career is in the bottom half of the top ten.

That would make sense if the fights were always based on rankings.... but they clearly aren't.

If title contention was based solely on rankings then Michael Bisping never would have got the title shot.for example. And he certainly wouldn't have defended against the #13 ranked Henderson instead of Yoel.
Well, Gatekeeper status isn't solely based on Rankings either.

There are rare exceptions like Chris Cariaso. But had Cariaso actually beat DJ and won the TItle (like Bisping/Rockhold), then it'd be a moot point.

No, if you get the title shot INSTEAD of the top contender, you actually GO AROUND the gate.

Getting one title shot in your entire career does make you a contender for your entire career. The term for that is perennial contender, someone who is constantly in contention. A perennial contender is not a gatekeeper. However, getting one title shot in your entire career does not make you a perennial contender, especially if 90% of your career is in the bottom half of the top ten.

As I said, I won't deny that there are exceptions. And I am talking from a career perspective. Former Champs who aren't Contender-level anymore, are only serving the function of a Gatekeeper in some instances.

Guida
Lauzon
Jim Miller
Lil Nog

rothwell is the baddest gatekeeper in the ufc, if he can juice

Conor is the ultimate gatekeeper

Keeps that gate shut and won't let anyone have a shot at his titles.

Gus
Cowboy
Nate and Nate Diaz
Carlos Condit
Faber
Mendes
Mark Hunt

Damn there are so many

SMFH at people naming Frankie Edgar. Are you for real? Dude has been a top-3 fighter for the last 7 years.

Easily Benavides.

He's so good, the UFC won't even let him fight contenders anymore, or it would just be him losing to MM every six months.

oh gee people put Edgar on this list. Edgar is gonna put your boy Hallowack in a coma.

The "gate" that Gatekeepers defend is the gate to Title Contention.
That's the entire premise of the concept of Gatekeeper.

If you can't get passed *this guy* you are not ready to fight/contend for the TITLE.

It has existed for decades. Combat sports n00bs have all kinds of dopey definitions... this thread is a great example.

Nah I disagree.

Overeem during his LHW run perhaps? you could argue I spose that getting to the semi's of the 2005 GP made him a contender but he had a habit of giving the best guys tough matches whilst losing.

Elvis sinosic. Wheel the guy out to take a beating every now and again..

How about Overeem
I wouldn't say he's a gatekeeper to be honest. He almost beat Stipe.

I'd say he's the typical "eternal top contender" kind of fighter.

The richest gatekeeper might be Nate Diaz right now. At least if they book McGregor-Diaz 3.

Slide1424.jpg

Back