Best GnP ever: Jones, Cain, Khabib, Fedor?

With one elbow Jones broke Vera's face in 3 different places, severed a nerve, and lodged a chip of bone behind his right eye. Vera couldn't even fly home as the pressure of the airplane would destroy his face even further if he tried.

6 months later he was still complaining about not even being able to simply touch his face without it hurting, and to this day he still has 2 plates screwed into his skull helping hold it together.

Damn. I didn’t know about the casualties. I know the exact shot you are talking about though. By the way, I didn’t watch that fight until two or three years ago when I did the Jon Jones marathon during the pandemic.

But I still think Stipe’s ground and pound was more impressive. Overeem was out cold and his head was bouncing off the canvas. Stipe did it so effortlessly and quick. This one I watched live. Perhaps that’s why I was more impressed by it.

Fedor and Hughes had the scariest GNP. You didn't want to be there, you were scared if you ended up there, and you were going to get pulverized if you stayed there. Fedor's destructions of Herring and Nogueira and Hughes' destructions of Sakurai and Newton are some of the greatest displays of GNP that you'll ever see. Hughes' second fight with Newton at UFC 38 is my personal favorite display of GNP in MMA history. That was the first time that Hughes put the crucifix to brutal and effective use. Newton was saved by the bell the first time he got stuck in it but then he had to be saved by the ref the second time.

I'd say Jones, Fedor, and Khabib are actually pretty damn close for very different reasons.
Khabib has a good gnp, I didn't say the opposite... The thing is when Jones starts gnp someone, he almost kill the guy and Khabib far away from that. So, in therms of efficiency and forcefulness, Jones all day long and not even close.

It may not be acknowledged yet but it is and will be Shavkat

Yes, the best GNP person ever is the guy who literally only ever stopped short notice unranked Horchell with GNP.

Christ.

The answer is Jones who's stopped plenty of fighters with his and did so extremely viciously.
Christ like clockwork here you are.
Thiago Tavares is not a GnP stoppage?
You figure Michael Johnson and Edson Barboza were both having a swell time in there?

Khabib, followed by Jones.

Christ like clockwork here you are.
Thiago Tavares is not a GnP stoppage?
You figure Michael Johnson and Edson Barboza were both having a swell time in there?

Khabib, followed by Jones.

With one elbow Jones broke Vera's face in 3 different places, severed a nerve, and lodged a chip of bone behind his right eye. Vera couldn't even fly home as the pressure of the airplane would destroy his face even further if he tried.

6 months later he was still complaining about not even being able to simply touch his face without it hurting, and to this day he still has 2 plates screwed into his skull helping hold it together.

Khabib has a good gnp, I didn't say the opposite... The thing is when Jones starts gnp someone, he almost kill the guy and Khabib far away from that. So, in therms of efficiency and forcefulness, Jones all day long and not even close.
I never said you claimed the opposite? Not sure where that's coming from.

Jones has very brutal GnP with his elbows and is very ferocious in the way he swarms his opponents on the ground. In terms of how fast he can deal damage with his shot, he's probably #1.

Fedor generates so much speed and power in his GnP that it's pretty scary. His ability to generate force is impressive. Once the pounding started it was guaranteed to be a fucking brutal beat down.

In the absence of standout power, Khabib has ridiculous volume, precision, shot selection, and versatility. Khabib won't put you out quickly with his GnP in most cases but every punch he throws leads to a pass, or a sub, or a GnP from a different angle.

Personally, I think it's close. For me it goes Khabib, Jon, Fedor.

I never felt like that so I really can't relate. There are lots of guys like Cain and Rockhold and Jon who have just vicious GnP. They get on top of you and it's a wrap. Without a doubt some dudes have the power and I'll intent to make GnP look fucking horrendous.

However, I can't think of anyone with GnP like Khabib. That's the big difference for me personally. For 99% of fighters GnP is just about getting on top and going wild. To take the least technical part of the game and turn it into a complex weapon? The grappling fanatic in me loves that.

End of the day they're all great at it for different reasons.
Jones didn’t just go wild though.

There’s an ultimate fighter scene (jones vs Sonnen I think) where he was trying to teach his team how to throw gnp like him but in doing so effectively demonstrated why they wouldn’t be able to. Basically he was having them get into a guys guard and lay their arms straight up and down on the guys chest, then just bending his arm and striking with the elbow. The idea was that their hands are busy trapping your hands so they can’t block the elbow shots. He was like “it’s so easy, I don’t know why more guys don’t do it, they can’t block your elbow strikes if they’re hand fighting and if they let go then you have room to pass or throw different shots” But then you’d watch his team drill it and it looked terrible because their arms weren’t long enough to really extend and get power behind their elbow strike while their hand was trapped.

Point being, Jones had a pretty unique style that guys just couldn’t deal with because no one else could do the things he was doing so they weren’t prepared for it.

Jones didn’t just go wild though.

There’s an ultimate fighter scene (jones vs Sonnen I think) where he was trying to teach his team how to throw gnp like him but in doing so effectively demonstrated why they wouldn’t be able to. Basically he was having them get into a guys guard and lay their arms straight up and down on the guys chest, then just bending his arm and striking with the elbow. The idea was that their hands are busy trapping your hands so they can’t block the elbow shots. He was like “it’s so easy, I don’t know why more guys don’t do it, they can’t block your elbow strikes if they’re hand fighting and if they let go then you have room to pass or throw different shots” But then you’d watch his team drill it and it looked terrible because their arms weren’t long enough to really extend and get power behind their elbow strike while their hand was trapped.

Point being, Jones had a pretty unique style that guys just couldn’t deal with because no one else could do the things he was doing so they weren’t prepared for it.
Very good point. Jon for sure was a menace with those elbows and his reach. He definitely did have a thought out approach from the guard. My comment was mostly in regard to mount and side where he us usually jeen on the the traditional method of "keep dropping shots until the ref stops it". But absolutely, he had a unique approach from the guard that us often overlooked. It does get me curious about if he can still throw them effectively now that he has HWs with similar frames.

At their prime:
1. Jones/Cain
2. Fedor
3. Khabib
4. Luke
5. Hughes
6. Stipe
7. Coleman
8. Lesnar
9. Rua
10. Ubereem

Khabib is of couse very effective with his GNP but he doesnt have naturally exceptional power,its more how relentless he is with it,and how he can maintain a positional dominance to keep landing them no matter what the other guys tries to do to escape.

Fedor's is usually pretty dead on accurate,uses maximum potential for damage and at his best,causes total devastation,but I think because he hits so hard he would actually break his hands,he'd start clubbing guys to death instead,but it would be still be relentless and constant.

Jones just goes berserk with the elbows,and that kind of attack can be hard to deal with once the first one gets through.

Last edited:
I think it was Glover Teixeira who mounted the soft bodied Brazilian guy who almost TKO'd Fedor and he elbowed as if without any regard for his own elbow.

He also did bad things to Anthony Smith.

I think it was Glover Teixeira who mounted the soft bodied Brazilian guy who almost TKO'd Fedor and he elbowed as if without any regard for his own elbow.
Maldonado was near death in that fight.

I never felt like that so I really can't relate. There are lots of guys like Cain and Rockhold and Jon who have just vicious GnP. They get on top of you and it's a wrap. Without a doubt some dudes have the power and I'll intent to make GnP look fucking horrendous.

However, I can't think of anyone with GnP like Khabib. That's the big difference for me personally. For 99% of fighters GnP is just about getting on top and going wild. To take the least technical part of the game and turn it into a complex weapon? The grappling fanatic in me loves that.

End of the day they're all great at it for different reasons.
If ony he did any damage AT ALL

Back