Best movie starring a pro athlete is oddly enough...

Does the beard have to slap the OP?

AC500810-FAE8-47BE-9CB4-EC8307B14F69.jpeg

Ocean's Eleven with Lennox Lewis and one of the Klitschkos

I've been having a nigh on 10-year argument with a friend about this. He won't accept it isn't a sport. I'm going to hit him with this pageant chat when we inevitably have the argument again.
I think a sport requires an opponent actively working against you. Anything else is an athletic event. So by that definition, water polo is a sport, but swimming is an athletic event.

I think a sport requires an opponent actively working against you. Anything else is an athletic event. So by that definition, water polo is a sport, but swimming is an athletic event.
<mma4>
Definition is:

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as soccer and rugby"
synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise;

So technically swimming is a sport too, as long as the swimmers are racing against each other.

<mma4>
Definition is:

So technically swimming is a sport too, as long as the swimmers are racing against each other.
I don’t know man. Swimmers (and runners) are really just competing against the clock, right? No one is working against them. Same would be true for events like shot put, long jump, hurdles, javelin, caber tossing, etc.

Conan The Destroyer with Wilt Chamberlain . . . duh.

Rocky 1-4 and Predator with Carl.

The Dirty Dozen and The Running Man with Jim Brown.

Stone Cold with The Boz.

These all pimpslap the A-Team.

If you can count Tex Cobb as "starring" in any of his movies, then The Golden Child, Fletch Lives and Diggstown.

Diggstown was so good. They filmed part of it a block from my old house.

Ben Davidson - Gonad the Barbarian Motherfucks!

rexorraid3.jpg

20120703__raidersdavidson3.jpg
920x920.jpg

Johnny Weissmuller - Tarzan - UnGawa!

images

jn9d8g102mc8md8.jpg

Everyone Love Earl's Jason Lee in Mallrats.

Naked Gun series..

Had OJ.

He was hilarious...

I don’t know man. Swimmers (and runners) are really just competing against the clock, right? No one is working against them. Same would be true for events like shot put, long jump, hurdles, javelin, caber tossing, etc.

Doing it at the same time adds a bit more to it. At 400m, 800m and longer distances athletes can set a pace that can break competitiors. It's easy to say you're just racing the clock, but seeing someone set out fast will have an impact on your race, it happens all of the time. Same thing happens at shorter distances and hurdles, it's just a lot harder to notice. It can also push sprinters and runners past their PB's.

Doing it at the same time adds a bit more to it. At 400m, 800m and longer distances athletes can set a pace that can break competitiors. It's easy to say you're just racing the clock, but seeing someone set out fast will have an impact on your race, it happens all of the time. Same thing happens at shorter distances and hurdles, it's just a lot harder to notice. It can also push sprinters and runners past their PB's.
I get what you’re saying. I’m still hesitant to call it a sport though. That’s not take anything away from it. I ran track. I love it. Those competitors are incredible athletes. I just think it’s better classified as an athletic event as no one is actively working against you (defense).

Predator is the obvious answer here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back