Best movie starring a pro athlete is oddly enough...

Also, on June 29th the answer will change as it will become Uncle Drew starring Shaq, Kyrie Irving, Chris Webber, nate robinson, lisa leslie and reggie miller

This is the correct answer. Allen actually starred in the movie, a lot of the people named here were just featured. Allen had top billing

51MWH1K63VL._SY445_.jpg

Did he really get top billing? His name isn't even on that poster with Denzel Washington's huge face.

Did he really get top billing? His name isn't even on that poster with Denzel Washington's huge face.

The entire movie revolved around Denzel and Allen.

He had a much bigger role than Jesse Ventura in Predator or just about every other movie listed

the longest yard, how the hell did that not get a mention?

A cop who enforces his own brand of justice. Man, how did that movie not break box office records?
Keep in mind it's from a marketing poster for an early 90's action movie starring Brian Bosworth, in his first movie ever. The movie had no business turning out to be as good as it was.

M*A*S*H with Fred Williamson is worth mentioning as well, he was a better pro than Carl Weathers.

Gina Carano's Haywire movie was surprisingly decent. Fight scenes were pretty good

Keep in mind it's from a marketing poster for an early 90's action movie starring Brian Bosworth, in his first movie ever. The movie had no business turning out to be as good as it was.
I don’t even remember posting that. And I have no idea how I even knew what that movie is about, other than maybe I just guessed.

Weathers is a D level athlete

Really scratching the bottom of the barrel with that one

Probably explains why he actually became a good actor, couldnt get by on his existing fame and had to go though drama school and earn his sucess.

Does Mickey Rourke count?
Year of the dragon
Angle heart
The wrestler
Rumble fish
Homeboy
Sin city

His boxing career was pretty limited pre acting wasnt it? so he'd be more an actor turned sportsman and then back to acting.
Well, he had an amateur boxing career as a teen but he didn't turn pro until well into his acting career. It was, of course, a total vanity project as Rourke was matched with very safe opposition that would have a very slim chance of beating him. The vast majority of his opponents were fighters either making their pro debuts or often knocked out club fighters with losing records.

Believe it or not, I was offered a fight with him in Germany on two weeks' notice after I'd been inactive for two years. The money was good & I totally believed that I could beat him even though the fight was at light heavyweight which was 20 pounds above my natural weight class. So, I accepted the promoter's offer but unfortunately, I couldn't get my Visa straightened out in time. So, instead of me, they flew in an individual who was making his pro debut & Rourke knocked him out. I tried to get another fight scheduled with him in Miami a few months later but his people weren't interested.

Back