Best places to train BJJ fulltime.

MGs is definitely an option I've looked into. I've even talked to them about it, but privates run $200/hr and general costs of living are obviously much higher. It's definitely still on the list, but if I can progress as quickly elsewhere, I'll definitely take that option, hence this thread.

Thanks for your input!

Yeah MG does not do privates anymore. I've seen him do one in the 3 years I've been here and that was prob just do to their relationship. Also he's always available before and after class so it's like you can get a free private lesson tidbit anyway. $200 is for the black belts I think the brown belts are a lot cheaper not sure how much they charge but i think it's more than $50 less than $100 don't want to give an exact amount as I'm not sure but all the brown belts are really good and hopefully can get grandfathered in rates before they turn black belts lol. (Mansher Khera, Jon Satava, Dillon Danis, Marcos Silva, Joel Burgess, Matheus Diniz) and also privates are great but I feel their are really overrated but depends on how you learn some people find it beneficial sometime I find them to be a hinderance

Yeah MG does not do privates anymore. I've seen him do one in the 3 years I've been here and that was prob just do to their relationship. Also he's always available before and after class so it's like you can get a free private lesson tidbit anyway. $200 is for the black belts I think the brown belts are a lot cheaper not sure how much they charge but i think it's more than $50 less than $100 don't want to give an exact amount as I'm not sure but all the brown belts are really good and hopefully can get grandfathered in rates before they turn black belts lol. (Mansher Khera, Jon Satava, Dillon Danis, Marcos Silva, Joel Burgess, Matheus Diniz) and also privates are great but I feel their are really overrated but depends on how you learn some people find it beneficial sometime I find them to be a hinderance

BBs are $200/hr, and browns are $90/hr.

Another school I've been looking into seriously that I left out of my list for some reason is Ryan Hall's school (50/50 BJJ) in Falls Church, VA. Seph (his BB) offers privates for a somewhat reasonable rate.

Any opinions about the school/area/etc?

That list seems kind of random. What are Miura and Avellan doing on it?

I don't really get how NYC is too expensive yet finances are of absolutely no concern...

Anyway, if what you say is true, just pick any of the big places named and go. You're just wasting time otherwise. You're a noob; you wouldn't be able to tell which place was the best even if they were right in front of you.

Just pick one and go. What's the harm in wasting a couple months, right? Finances are no issue? Just some lost yoga time? At least you'll have a story.

The more you hew and haw over this fantasy question, the more days of training you lose until Oct.

I don't really get how NYC is too expensive yet finances are of absolutely no concern...

Anyway, if what you say is true, just pick any of the big places named and go. You're just wasting time otherwise. You're a noob; you wouldn't be able to tell which place was the best even if they were right in front of you.

Just pick one and go. What's the harm in wasting a couple months, right? Finances are no issue? Just some lost yoga time? At least you'll have a story.

The more you hew and haw over this fantasy question, the more days of training you lose until Oct.

I already am training -- I'm in Tampa for 10 days doing 20+ hours of training with Robson and his BBs (even split) as well as group classes.

Just because finances aren't an issue doesn't mean I want to spend ridiculous amounts of money. I'm still going to take cost into concern, if NYC turns out to be the best option, that's where I'll go, if it turns out I can get more input from people and decide on a cheaper place -- that's where I'll go.

Is doubt Rio is even currently an option. You need a visa

That list seems kind of random. What are Miura and Avellan doing on it?

Recommendations from people I've spoken with offline. I understand that Miura isn't a big name, but what's up with the hate for Avellan? I thought he was a pretty decent competitor, although not on the same level as MG or Robson or Cyborg.

Avellans are just sleeve bags with an Academy. David might be good, but their Academy hasn't turned out anyone of note.

Recommendations from people I've spoken with offline. I understand that Miura isn't a big name, but what's up with the hate for Avellan? I thought he was a pretty decent competitor, although not on the same level as MG or Robson or Cyborg.

Because Marcos Avellan's (dave's brother) affiliation/parentership/nut hugging with Lloyd Irvin.. and the fact that Marcos tried to sue anyone bad mouthing the MMA Millionaire Club BS.

FYI if you are worried about missing out on yoga, I think Cyborg does have yoga classes at his place.

Both Avellan's are really tight with Lloyd Irvin. Makes me wonder how much he had to do with them outside of just BJJ. If you're interested I'm sure a google search on Lloyd Irvin will produce some interesting results.

Avellans are just sleeve bags with an Academy. David might be good, but their Academy hasn't turned out anyone of note.

Because Marcos Avellan's (dave's brother) affiliation/parentership/nut hugging with Lloyd Irvin.. and the fact that Marcos tried to sue anyone bad mouthing the MMA Millionaire Club BS.

FYI if you are worried about missing out on yoga, I think Cyborg does have yoga classes at his place.

Both Avellan's are really tight with Lloyd Irvin. Makes me wonder how much he had to do with them outside of just BJJ. If you're interested I'm sure a google search on Lloyd Irvin will produce some interesting results.

Thanks for the data re: the Avellans. I've only spoken with David, who seemed great, but these are definitely concerns and I will probably steer clear of them based on what I'm reading.

I'm not worried about missing out on yoga, I have built up a private practice that I can do daily if I don't have any decent mid-to-advanced yoga classes available.

I'll throw it out there again, just so I'm not missing anything else: Any thoughts about 50/50 Ryan Hall's place?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Last edited:
If you're willing to go to Brazil, I don't think you could do a whole lot better than training at Cavaca's gym in Santos. Cavaca's English improves each time I see him, he has lots of students at multiple locations in town, the technique is exceptional, and it's a really great atmosphere. It will also be a good deal cheaper than Alliance SP.

I'll throw it out there again, just so I'm not missing anything else: Any thoughts about 50/50 Ryan Hall's place?!

I went there a few years back and it was great. Ryan was there pretty much the whole day - everyone was friendly.

Ryan is now trains mma at tristar so not sure how much it affects his attendance at the 50/50 academy. I think they just moved into a new facility as well.

KennyfromMD trains or trained there - maybe ask him.

Brazil - stay at connection rio.

Gordo's is like 2minuts away and dennis can hook you up with pretty much any academy you want.

Go to DeLaRiva, thank me later. Seriously, if I won a lottery I would be on the plane next week. Supreme coach and guys from the entire world go to train at his place.

Go to DeLaRiva, thank me later. Seriously, if I won a lottery I would be on the plane next week. Supreme coach and guys from the entire world go to train at his place.

Another person who hasn't been mentioned but should be is Gordo. I know Connection Rio sends a bunch of people to Gordo's, he's produced multiple BB world medallists, and because they get so many foreign tourists I think they're pretty good English speakers and the gym is well set up to receive students from foreign countries. Also, it's in Rio which is a hell of a lot nicer than Sao Paulo (no offense Paulistas, but you know it's true).

Another person who hasn't been mentioned but should be is Gordo. I know Connection Rio sends a bunch of people to Gordo's, he's produced multiple BB world medallists, and because they get so many foreign tourists I think they're pretty good English speakers and the gym is well set up to receive students from foreign countries. Also, it's in Rio which is a hell of a lot nicer than Sao Paulo (no offense Paulistas, but you know it's true).

I can't get the Connection Rio site to load, but I'll look into this option shortly.

Thank you!

Looking into this right now. If only their websites had an english option so I didn't have to put up with google's engrish translation ;).

Thanks for the input!

Back