Best places to train BJJ fulltime.

Reading Gerbils thread on Rio, seems they do a bit of technique and then tons of high level sparring which I'm not sure would be the best for a new guy. You would learn while being smashed though, lol.

Go Atos in San Diego, University of JJ or Art of Jiu-Jitsu if you've got the money.

Of all the great schools in southern california, you pick Russ Muirra (subfighter mma) school in Laguna Hills?

Of all the great schools in southern california, you pick Russ Muirra (subfighter mma) school in Laguna Hills?

The reason Russ was recommended to me as opposed to the tonnes of really great instructors is because I'm much more unlikely to get decent instruction for my goals (rapid progress, training full time) as a noob in a studio that sees hundreds of noobs come through. He's also supposedly a great instructor..

I know there are a lot of really great instructors available in that area, though.

The reason Russ was recommended to me as opposed to the tonnes of really great instructors is because I'm much more unlikely to get decent instruction for my goals (rapid progress, training full time) as a noob in a studio that sees hundreds of noobs come through. He's also supposedly a great instructor..

I know there are a lot of really great instructors available in that area, though.

As a newbie white belt, you are more likely to learn from blue and purple belt guys at the gym instead of the head instructor. Furthermore, Russ' gym (Subfighter MMA) gears more nogi and MMA. Subfighter MMA is not exactly producing a lot of BJJ champions in Socal.

Subfighter is pretty legit, but I think you should go with other options if you are going to move to Socal. I actually used to live down the street from Subfighter MMA.

Just my opinion as a Socal grappler.

and if you want high level training/personal attention from a world champion from Checkmat team, you should go with Westside BJJ. The head instructor is Marcel Louzado (google him up). Westside BJJ is only 1/2 mile from Subfighter MMA. The downside is Westside BJJ is only a few months old, so you don't get a lot of training partners.

Reading Gerbils thread on Rio, seems they do a bit of technique and then tons of high level sparring which I'm not sure would be the best for a new guy. You would learn while being smashed though, lol.

Go Atos in San Diego, University of JJ or Art of Jiu-Jitsu if you've got the money.

+1, probably the most competetive enviroment will be Atos. You'll learn a lot of things, even if not directly. My friend went to an Atos sparring camp. Two weeks after he returned as a real mat monster. His technique, timing went up a step.

+1, probably the most competetive enviroment will be Atos. You'll learn a lot of things, even if not directly. My friend went to an Atos sparring camp. Two weeks after he returned as a real mat monster. His technique, timing went up a step.

After all these +1s for Atos I'm getting in touch with them to get some more details re: privates etc.

As a newbie white belt, you are more likely to learn from blue and purple belt guys at the gym instead of the head instructor. Furthermore, Russ' gym (Subfighter MMA) gears more nogi and MMA. Subfighter MMA is not exactly producing a lot of BJJ champions in Socal.

Subfighter is pretty legit, but I think you should go with other options if you are going to move to Socal. I actually used to live down the street from Subfighter MMA.

Just my opinion as a Socal grappler.

and if you want high level training/personal attention from a world champion from Checkmat team, you should go with Westside BJJ. The head instructor is Marcel Louzado (google him up). Westside BJJ is only 1/2 mile from Subfighter MMA. The downside is Westside BJJ is only a few months old, so you don't get a lot of training partners.

FWIW, I'm primarily interested in competing in no-gi, which is another reason Russ was recommended to me.

Thanks for your input nonetheless, atm it looks like SD is winning.

Also, is there a reason no-one has talked about Hawaii? I thought it had a huge BJJ community going for it.

The biggest downside I see with San Diego is a lack of places to rent month-to-month near where I'd be training. And that's with paying $3k/mo (which I'm okay doing, if it's near-by.. but $3k/mo + a large commute sucks) :/. I'd much rather pay $1k more, stay in NYC and avoid the hassle of a car and commute.. Sucks because I really liked everything I was reading about Atos.

Last edited:
Why are you so stuck on Privates? And taking so many? Taking 4 Privates a week seems excessive regardless of where you go. Especially if you have only trained 3 weeks thus far.I think you would get just as much, if not more out of doing 1 private a week if you are training as often as you plan to. It will take you weeks just to learn the basics regardless of where you train or how many privates you are taking.I think the Elite can help refine techniques and add techniques, but pretty much anybody can teach white belt basics.

You mentioned Hawaii but you seemed to completely write it off right away.

There's way too many BJJ/MMA gyms/academies to mention in the island of Oahu alone. And they're no Mc Dojos, there's some really good black belt instructors, in fact I don't think you'll find a place with so many great BJJ academies so close together. Plus you'll love the Hawaii sun. :)

you won't need 4 privates a week at Marcelo's or Atos or Mendes Bros

Both Avellan's are really tight with Lloyd Irvin. Makes me wonder how much he had to do with them outside of just BJJ. If you're interested I'm sure a google search on Lloyd Irvin will produce some interesting results.

Didn't Marcos name his son after Lloyd? Not something you do if you just learn a few marketing strategies from someone. Those guys are as thick as thieves. Or as thick as attempted rapists.

If I were you I would visit southern california, and go check out a bunch of academies in LA such as Romolo Barrals, Cobrinha's, and Dynamix with Henry Akins (where I teach as a brown belt). Then I would visit san diego and go to Atos, and the University of Jiu Jitsu, and also the Art of Jiu Jitsu in Costa Mesa. Personally if I was a new white belt I would find a spot that will teach you solid fundamentals, and not a fancy or tournament specific game. After visiting these spots I would make a decision on a home base, while still getting privates from different places. I'm biased because I live here, but i've trained all over the world. Also, if you consider Hawaii, a relatively unknown gem is Limao's (Luis Heredia) academy Maui Jiu Jitsu. I trained there for 7 months. The training is fantastic, Maui is amazing especially for a diver like yourself. You can get cheap training, privates, etc. They have a bunch of black belts, and are a great group that is very tough, and very helpful. I'm sure a number of them would be willing to give privates for a good rate. You can live there inexpensively, and the only expensive cost would be renting a car, and slightly higher grocery prices. If you end up considering LA or Maui, PM me and I'll send word ahead for you if you train at a place I have friends.

Shit... I thought I had it good, but to be able to just roll out an investment like this with only 3 weeks of training.

The kid has no clue what it takes! He'll go back to free diving real quick!

Also in 6 months I hope he proves me wrong, but in 3 weeks he probably doesn't even know how to tie his Gi Belt or put on his board shorts. Homie come back to us in 6 months with an update!

Back