Better press conference: Wilder vs Fury or McGregor vs Khabib

The most entertaining press conference is where one guy keeps running his mouth to the applause and cheers of a casual fan base and the other one nods his head counting the minutes until he can show that he got in the fight game to fight, not to talk.

Notice they all adopt that same look on their face at the press conference with McGregor: Diaz, Mayweather, Khabib.

Mayweather did just as much talking as McGregor haha. And I'm not a Floyd fan, no, but I'm not a boxing fan at all. But with Floyd's "unbeatable" aura, it's compelling to tune in when there's an opponent that has a legitimate chance to shatter that aura.

The McGregor match was a farce obviously, but sales-wise it was the 2nd biggest combat sporting event of all time. So why not watch?

Mayweather did just as much talking as McGregor haha. And I'm not a Floyd fan, no, but I'm not a boxing fan at all. But with Floyd's "unbeatable" aura, it's compelling to tune in when there's an opponent that has a legitimate chance to shatter that aura.

The McGregor match was a farce obviously, but sales-wise it was the 2nd biggest combat sporting event of all time. So why not watch?

Everyone has to talk at a press conference, but Mayweather, Diaz, and Khabib all went to that dark place where they zoned out and let everyone have their laughs until one choked McGregor out, the other stopped him via TKO, and Khabib? Welp….we have to see the outcome of that one.

Go back and look at the press conferences. They all have the same fed up looks on their faces. It's just funny.

So you watch Mayweather to see him potentially lose? That's cool if you do, everyone has a guy they're going for.

McGregor is a funny guy, but it's a fight not stand up. People get more involved in the press conferences than the fights.

mcgregor khabib was boring, so yes this did way better

Then how do you explain boxing purists who give credit to Holly Holm?
Give credit where credit is due.

They don't. Not in her mma performances....which is the point he was making. Holly brought good footwork, movement etc from boxing to mma. But her hands have been less than impressive considering her career as a boxer. It's because mma striking is different. Much different.

So yes...if wilder or fury fought ufc their style would have to change. So if they transitioned and no-one knew who they were, boxing purists would say that a real boxer would destroy them if they ever boxed.

They don't. Not in her mma performances....which is the point he was making. Holly brought good footwork, movement etc from boxing to mma. But her hands have been less than impressive considering her career as a boxer. It's because mma striking is different. Much different.

So yes...if wilder or fury fought ufc their style would have to change. So if they transitioned and no-one knew who they were, boxing purists would say that a real boxer would destroy them if they ever boxed.

Everyone at my boxing gym praises Holm, and gives her credit for her achievements in boxing and mma. The boxing community where you are must be sour grapes. Sorry to hear that.

Everyone at my boxing gym praises Holm, and gives her credit for her achievements in boxing and mma. The boxing community where you are must be sour grapes. Sorry to hear that.

Holly's boxing in UFC has been disappointing to say the least. Especially considering all the hype coming in. I am not saying anything crazy or that most wouldn't agree with.

Holly's boxing in UFC has been disappointing to say the least. Especially considering all the hype coming in. I am not saying anything crazy or that most wouldn't agree with.

She's coming off of a full career in a whole other sport. She may have peaked. Who knows? She did well in boxing, and dethroned arguably the baddest woman to ever do MMA in Rousey, at least the biggest star if nothing else.

I admittedly haven't followed her beyond that.

I'd have to study Holm's tapes. Thanks for the heads up.

Everyone has to talk at a press conference, but Mayweather, Diaz, and Khabib all went to that dark place where they zoned out and let everyone have their laughs until one choked McGregor out, the other stopped him via TKO, and Khabib? Welp….we have to see the outcome of that one.

Go back and look at the press conferences. They all have the same fed up looks on their faces. It's just funny.

So you watch Mayweather to see him potentially lose? That's cool if you do, everyone has a guy they're going for.

McGregor is a funny guy, but it's a fight not stand up. People get more involved in the press conferences than the fights.

No, I don't really watch Floyd to see him potentially lose. I've watched a few of his matches (refuse to call boxing matches fights) because of the historical/hype aspect. His matches aren't entertaining, but every once in a while he boxes a compelling enough opponent that I feel I'd be missing out on something historic (in a sporting sense) if I didn't tune in.

I'm starting to get the same feeling with these HW boxers. Apparently Tyson Fury is god-awful boring (even for boxing), but he's never lost and beaten Klitchko (that's the phonetic spelling anyway). I hear Deontay Wilder is a beast. Never lost. I wanna watch them box, then the winner of that one box Joshua. I don't care about Joshua boxing anyone else, because he's supposed to beat them. But I am compelled to tune in to see two of my generation's best boxers throw down and see who's better. That's why I've watched some of Floyd's matches.

And you're being biased when it comes to the McGregor-Mayweather conferences. They both took turns prattling on while the other sat there and looked amused.

No, I don't really watch Floyd to see him potentially lose. I've watched a few of his matches (refuse to call boxing matches fights) because of the historical/hype aspect.

<{JustBleed}>

It's mandatory, sorry.

Lmao, don't apologize. Are you implying that the only reason to watch a combat sport is for the blood/entertainment aspect?

All good dude. Implying boxing match can also be called a fight.

No, I don't really watch Floyd to see him potentially lose. I've watched a few of his matches (refuse to call boxing matches fights) because of the historical/hype aspect. His matches aren't entertaining, but every once in a while he boxes a compelling enough opponent that I feel I'd be missing out on something historic (in a sporting sense) if I didn't tune in.

I'm starting to get the same feeling with these HW boxers. Apparently Tyson Fury is god-awful boring (even for boxing), but he's never lost and beaten Klitchko (that's the phonetic spelling anyway). I hear Deontay Wilder is a beast. Never lost. I wanna watch them box, then the winner of that one box Joshua. I don't care about Joshua boxing anyone else, because he's supposed to beat them. But I am compelled to tune in to see two of my generation's best boxers throw down and see who's better. That's why I've watched some of Floyd's matches.

And you're being biased when it comes to the McGregor-Mayweather conferences. They both took turns prattling on while the other sat there and looked amused.

You lost me at trying to distinguish a boxing match from a fight. Ever heard the phrase "fist fight"? Rhetorical question: have you ever been punched in the face bare knuckle? You'd appreciate boxing for being just as much of a fight as anything else. Unless you think guys rolling around on the ground constitutes a real fight? Perhaps, in a park or after school but in an urban setting where it's not a challenge match going to the ground is asking to be stomped out or not knowing someone pulled a gun out due to tunnel vision. I'm not here to convert you on that. I'm an advocate of both in the proper context.

The McGregor press conference was the most annoying I've ever seen Floyd personally. He played into the hype and gave the people what they wanted. Perhaps I am being biased, my comment was about him wanting to shut Conor up. Heard rumor from inside his gym, that he wasn't actually as amused as he made himself out to be. He wanted to stop Conor. I'm a nobody in the game but I do know people who are close enough to Floyd, and his gym or who have been at one point or another.

I hope you enjoy the fight, match, bout, etc. lol

You lost me at trying to distinguish a boxing match from a fight. Ever heard the phrase "fist fight"? Rhetorical question: have you ever been punched in the face bare knuckle? You'd appreciate boxing for being just as much of a fight as anything else. Unless you think guys rolling around on the ground constitutes a real fight? Perhaps, in a park or after school but in an urban setting where it's not a challenge match going to the ground is asking to be stomped out or not knowing someone pulled a gun out due to tunnel vision. I'm not here to convert you on that. I'm an advocate of both in the proper context.

The McGregor press conference was the most annoying I've ever seen Floyd personally. He played into the hype and gave the people what they wanted. Perhaps I am being biased, my comment was about him wanting to shut Conor up. Heard rumor from inside his gym, that he wasn't actually as amused as he made himself out to be. He wanted to stop Conor. I'm a nobody in the game but I do know people who are close enough to Floyd, and his gym or who have been at one point or another.

I hope you enjoy the fight, match, bout, etc. lol

Yes, I've been punched. It hurts. Boxing is a form of combat, no doubt. But it's an EXTREMELY regulated form of combat. MMA is the closest form of combat to a real fight, no question about it.

And Floyd seems to respect the hell out of Conor, he has a giant mural of him in his house. Floyd did just as much yapping, maybe even more. And he's even worse when he boxes an opponent that can't give it back. He went on and on making extremely blatantly racist comments about Pacqio eating cats and dogs and shit. So fuck him and his sensitivity. And if he was as butthurt as you allege I doubt he would have let Conor make a fight out of it, and put an embarrassing beat down on him right from the get-go (rather than allow Conor to land more punches and win more rounds than the likes of Pac and others)

Yes, I've been punched. It hurts. Boxing is a form of combat, no doubt. But it's an EXTREMELY regulated form of combat. MMA is the closest form of combat to a real fight, no question about it.

And Floyd seems to respect the hell out of Conor, he has a giant mural of him in his house. Floyd did just as much yapping, maybe even more. And he's even worse when he boxes an opponent that can't give it back. He went on and on making extremely blatantly racist comments about Pacqio eating cats and dogs and shit. So fuck him and his sensitivity. And if he was as butthurt as you allege I doubt he would have let Conor make a fight out of it, and put an embarrassing beat down on him right from the get-go (rather than allow Conor to land more punches and win more rounds than the likes of Pac and others)

I disagree, a real fight is the closest form of combat to a real fight. Each fight is different and unpredictable. Yes, MMA covers the most ranges. However, it excludes very feasible situations such as groin strikes/pulls, bare knuckles (bone on bone is more disorienting than gloves imo), small joint manipulations, fish hooking, clothing etc. Also concrete is not forgiving to the body at all.

I would argue one of the most underutilized grappling styles in MMA is perhaps the best for a street fight: Judo. Why? Off balancing, collar grips, and pulling on clothes is a huge reality in altercations. Unless everywhere you frequent has topless men engaging each other.

I'm not sure if the Pacquiao comment was racist? His dad did kill the family dog and tried to feed it to the family because they were hungry. Pac ran away from home if I remember correctly because of this.

"When he was about 12 years old, Manny caught his dad eating his beloved pet dog for food. Traumatized, Pacquiao ran away from home and began living on the streets."
(https://nextshark.com/manny-pacquiao-became-a-pro-boxer-after-his-dad-cooked-his-pet-dog/)

I don't know about winning rounds, but Floyd came forward which will naturally make you a target. It was his strategy for this fight. He timed the fight, I think it was about the fifth round that he mouthed to his corner that it was time for him to open up. They have clips of it if you haven't seen it.

As far as Floyd being butthurt, he doesn't do well with disrespect, so I'm sure he wasn't flattered by Conor. He knew he was there to make money off of. They're businessmen, ehhh don't hate the player hate the game I guess.

Truthfully, I'm lost as to what our original point was. We can offer arguments, and counters all day but I respect your position. There is some validity in your stance, I don't totally disagree across the board.

Last edited:
Back