Biggest Bench in The UFC

there's a lot of bullshit going on with these said "records" paul anderson was supposedly breaking.
there's no evidence of anything just the word of some, lets face it the numbers surrounding him are bogus.

are you saying he didnt win a gold in Russia for a 402lb press? (i was just looking that up- seems a wild thing to lie about)

there's a lot of bullshit going on with these said "records" paul anderson was supposedly breaking.
there's no evidence of anything just the word of some, lets face it the numbers surrounding him are bogus.

Well, his weightlifting numbers are real, along with his medals.

Numerous people saw squat 900+ in person, with little to no warm up, including my first coach.

Now, no evidence of his bench press exists, and no idea why anyone would credit him with a good bench, given that he was never really seen practicing it. Sure, he had insane overhead pressing power at the time, but even in later years when press numbers passed him by, weightlifters still did not put up a 629 bench press (largest number I have seen reported for Anderson).

That being said, I am a big fan of the guy. Problem being many people ascribe things to him that he never did, nor ever claimed to do.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest his raw strength is as impressive as it gets. Here he is doing a 300 pound 1 armed press.

And yes, there have always been genetic freaks and outliers. Most people can not, nor will they every be able to do what someone like Anderson did. That being said, with good technique and good nutrition, even more is possible. Think of it like this: You can beast fuck a weight into place. With good technique, you can lift more weight. This is not just a matter of ego, your results are proportional to your appropriately applied workload (this being goal-dependent). So whatever Anderson did, with better training and nutrition he could have done more.

Sherdog quote of the day.

No idea why you would consider the bench the grand daddy of strength exercises. Weightlifting precedes powerlifting by more than half a century, and the squat and the deadlift train larger, stronger muscle groups than the bench press.
Wait... do you train legs bro?? That is for girls bro.

I never do leg day.. skip leg days bro.

Sherdog quote of the day.

True. Seen some guys with shit technique move incredible weights. These are the first ones to get injured, then, unless they fix something, they tend to stay that way.

Like anything else, skill cannot be under-rated.

Of course, the press (overhead) recruits more of the upper back and requires greater core stabilization. Hands down my number one pressing exercises for athletes who compete on their feet (assuming they do not have a pre-existing condition that limits their performance in this area).

Do you find that going heavy on overhead pressing can cause or exacerbate shoulder injuries in your athletes?

this is alarmingly without my man, a doubt beyond the horizon of space and time that penetrates through dimensions bro, I'm telling you guys- dudes, the best thread in a while, my man.

Adding Overhead press as well as alot of Shoulder Dislocates will heal your shoulders and help your bench in the long run -if you wanna Bench that is..

Do you find that going heavy on overhead pressing can cause or exacerbate shoulder injuries in your athletes?

Depends on the individual. Me, no, Some people, yes. Really, if someone has healthy shoulders, with good technique and good programming there is no reason for an injury to occur.

Back when the press was the standard of strength, there were far fewer shoulder injuries. (most common injuries in weightlifting are to the lower back and the knee). Of course, every major lift also featured a strong pulling component, and we should take a lesson from that.

Last edited:
this is alarmingly without my man, a doubt beyond the horizon of space and time that penetrates through dimensions bro, I'm telling you guys- dudes, the best thread in a while, my man.

Right on, bro.

19c6645a53db97f64e644cf1ef8423a9.jpg

Back in the day there was a thread about Lawler benching something like 335 for 10 reps. This was during his first run in the 170 division. Don't know his single rep max but those are damn impressive numbers and quite possible the pfp best.

I really, seriously doubt that. During Robbie's first run, his frame had much more lean muscle, he looks more "bulky"/thick now than he did back then. I would believe a 1RM of 335lbs, but for 10 reps....no way, even being that he probably walked around about 185-190.

• Benchpressing is so complicated, I'll leave that to the people in business. (Did your sarcasm detector go off?)
I think you'd be surprised, bro. There's a lot of technique involved when it comes to high level and correct form benching, my man.

Bro! Awesomeness, for all of the wrong reasons, my man.

Depends on the individual. Me, know, Some people, yes. Really, if someone has healthy shoulders, with good technique and good programming there is no reason for an injury to occur.

Back when the press was the standard of strength, there were far fewer shoulder injuries. (most common injuries in weightlifting are to the lower back and the knee). Of course, every major lift also featured a strong pulling component, and we should take a lesson from that.
Speaking of brute strength:

You are kinda a geek. You probably are ripped but on the inside you are as geeky as a dweeb crunching numbers at a D&D convention. As far as athletes showing off bench press at the combine, those guys are generally A class athletes.

Take a look at Brock Lesnar's numbers, since he fought in the UFC, compared to a monster like JJ Watt.

Lesnar
40-yard dash time: 4.7 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 in
Standing long jump: 10 ft 0 in
Bench press: 225 lb with 30 reps

JJ Watt
40-yard dash time: 4.84 seconds
Vertical jump: 37 in
Standing long jump: 10 ft 0 in
Bench press: 225 lb with 34 reps

Virtually indistinguishable, but it illustrates what monsters these guys are. How many 6'5" 300 pound monsters you know that can run a 4.7 40? Anyway, have you seen the Dana White video of him putting up 315 and all the muscleheads across the internet gushing that he has perfect technique doing it? Yea you heard that right. Dana F'ing White has the lifting technique of a professional.

No, hes actually a highly qualified individual on the subject, and your arguing with him is amusing.

are you saying he didnt win a gold in Russia for a 402lb press? (i was just looking that up- seems a wild thing to lie about)
I'm not talking about his olympic lifts, more about the squat/bench.

Well, his weightlifting numbers are real, along with his medals.

Numerous people saw squat 900+ in person, with little to no warm up, including my first coach.

Now, no evidence of his bench press exists, and no idea why anyone would credit him with a good bench, given that he was never really seen practicing it. Sure, he had insane overhead pressing power at the time, but even in later years when press numbers passed him by, weightlifters still did not put up a 629 bench press (largest number I have seen reported for Anderson).

That being said, I am a big fan of the guy. Problem being many people ascribe things to him that he never did, nor ever claimed to do.
Mostly I'm talking about the claim of a 1200+ lbs squat which I will bet my life on is bogus.
We have the biggest freaks in Malanichev, Zahir and Lilliebridge and they have yet to break 1100.
No doubt Paul Anderson was a freak with insane strength but I don't believe some of his claimed numbers for a second.

Back