BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

NYC here.
My wife and kids eventually tested positive for antibodies because of my wife positive. My mom and my wife's mom positive. Within our circle easily 150 people affected. One coworker was hospitalized near death but survived. Another coworker felt like crap for a month but back to work OK. One family friend still feels weak 4 months later. No explanation why he is baffled by this. He is a skinny dude that looks like any joe out there.
All that said, do the stats, are you going avoid human contact for the rest of your life? Out of the circle I mention one coworkers father passed away from it at a hospital. Another coworkers elderly relative passed away at a nursing home. My kids had a fever for a few hours thats it. My wife felt sick for a week then back to normal. Do you stop the world for this?
This thing is so crazy. Neither my daughter nor myself ever had a fever. Which is weird because we both had chills. I had body aches so badly. She doesn’t know if her body aches because she lives with perpetual body aches being a comp gymnast. But I was good to go in 48 hrs and I’m obese with high blood pressure. I had been doing yoga 3x a day and had lost 40lbs before I got sick but if anyone was the example of obesity and in bad physical shape it was me. 6’ 280lbs and none of that muscle. But like I said earlier, if they continue with this hey we are gonna open everything but if you get it or come in contact with someone that gets it, quarantine for 14 days people are not going to get tested. There’s no upside. Which is all bs anyway because somehow Mlb players all get to have teammates test positive and still go to work. But my wife had to take 28 days off.

He won't recommended Americans inject bleach....
So nothing that impacts you or changes anything with the virus but you’ll have faith because he seems more competent and you will stop training from home?

My spear fishing skills have gone up tremendously. Rickson said something about sharks once so it's kinda related. How are you guys preparing for the decline of the first world?

In my bjj gym noone cares (I wasn't there, just report what some buddie told me) Everyone trains like we used to, though following some instructions like washing hands.

I find all that doesn't make any sense.
Either there is a pandemic that has to be taken seriously and thus contact sports shouldn't be allowed, or there is nothing that bad and then all this circus needs to stop.
Where is the logic when, on the one hand, you shut down clubs, restaurants, force everyone to wear a mask in public spaces, but, on the other, you allow people to grapple??

Moreover -and of course I'm not a doctor- it seems that corona can imply long term complications, such a lung disease, so why would guys who love to spar for 30 minutes every day take the risk to have their lungs completely messed up. Gordon and Craig got rona'ed, who know show they are going to be after that?
Maybe I'm being too cautious, maybe I'm an idiot for sitting on the sidelines and getting out of shape while others roll again, but thing is nobody seems to have a clue about what's going on...

What is certain though, is that people who resume bjj training don't give any fuck about this virus at all. It's there right, of course, but when some of them were the most paranoiac about that virus two months ago, I'm really asking myself what's going on.

me too I rolled for the first time since December and it’s causing a lot of attitudenal vibes and body language from the misses.

I’m supposed to go to an open mat on n the morning.... I just don’t know what to do either

sometimes I wished my favorite physical hobby was hiking or golf or something

a) Do you see a lot of BJJ gyms closing in your area?

In my city (Bristol, UK), most of the BJJ gyms seem to be ok, as far as I can tell. Since late July when the English regulations allowed for non-contact training, they've been open for solo drilling classes.

b) Do you see yourself in that category? Are you going to return to the mat right after it opens or will you continue to train solo for strength and cardio and give yourself a year to see what is happening?

I run a gym, which I have kept closed since March. I'd prefer to stay closed, but financial pressures (BJJ is my full time and only job) mean I'll have to open next week.

c) A lot of people would have lost their jobs. When it opens up they may not have the funds to train.

In the end, as a gym owner what are your present concerns and plans and as a practitioner what are your plans?

I've been prepping for reopening over the last couple of weeks. So far, that means sourcing some non-contact thermometers, buying a new ventilation system for the gym, getting a risk assessment sorted and planning out how to divide up the mats to make sure my solo drilling classes are following the social distancing requirements.

My guy is due to install the ventilation next week, I'll be meeting up with the kids instructor to work out how best to mark up the mats. I'll also need to decide on a booking system (air flow from the new ventilation is specced up for a max of 20 people), few other bits and pieces to prepare.

So nothing that impacts you or changes anything with the virus but you’ll have faith because he seems more competent and you will stop training from home?
.....he won't recommend Americans inject bleach!.....

In my city (Bristol, UK), most of the BJJ gyms seem to be ok, as far as I can tell. Since late July when the English regulations allowed for non-contact training, they've been open for solo drilling classes.
how are most people responding to no contact solo drilling classes? mixed response here but most of thew younger crowd aren't really about that. there are some gyms that are open illegally and having full training and open mats and seems like most younger crowds from closed schools are gravitating towards those

Look at the data, it has almost no affect on younger people..
22 year old me would be like screw all you Im going to the gym. If its speak easy style underground I would be there in a heart beat. Thats how youth works. If your in your 40s think about all the dumb stuff you did as a kid. I think their will be many Bjj gyms in my area who will not survive this. The weight of NYC and NY state regulators will keep finding a way to dismantle them. Finally landlords demanding rent payments will crush many.

In case you didn't know. Commercial rents in NYC are insane. On the island of Manhattan. 12000 dollars a month gets you a tiny space to try to run a gym out of. A diner near my house is on the brink because the landlord wants the 65000 dollars on back rent paid up from when they were closed during the shut downs now. I remember a friend of mine did a drop in in South Carolina at an affiliate school while on vacation a few years ago. He was shocked at how big the mat space was compared to training in Manhattan. That to me is going to be the ugliest thing about the post covid grappling world in NYC. Many schools will have to go shared mat space.

In case you didn't know. Commercial rents in NYC are insane. On the island of Manhattan. 12000 dollars a month gets you a tiny space to try to run a gym out of. A diner near my house is on the brink because the landlord wants the 65000 dollars on back rent paid up from when they were closed during the shut downs now. I remember a friend of mine did a drop in in South Carolina at an affiliate school while on vacation a few years ago. He was shocked at how big the mat space was compared to training in Manhattan. That to me is going to be the ugliest thing about the post covid grappling world in NYC. Many schools will have to go shared mat space.

How much do you guess rent is for Marcelo's or Renzo's?

how are most people responding to no contact solo drilling classes? mixed response here but most of thew younger crowd aren't really about that. there are some gyms that are open illegally and having full training and open mats and seems like most younger crowds from closed schools are gravitating towards those

Yeah, it's been mixed. In terms of response to solo drilling classes, I can only go off Instagram etc, but it seems like a number of schools have been able to pull it off (i.e., looks like decent attendance, but then that could just understandably be the image they're trying to present online).

There are for sure a bunch of schools breaking the rules trying to go under the radar (especially the ones that didn't have measures in place to financially ride out long periods of being closed), especially as the UK govt is rubbish and likes to pass the buck. So, I haven't seen much in the way of enforcement. There have been some fitness gyms that got shut down for breaking the rules, but seems to have been comparatively rare.

I'll be interested to see what attendance is like when I reopen with just solo drilling. I'd anticipate a good turnout for the first week (as I know a lot of my students are desperate to get back on the mats doing anything at all), then we'll see if it tails off.

I imagine Renzos place has to be north of 12 grand a month. The space is huge for a Manhattan location. Just depends on how long ago he signed the lease. If you told me he is paying 15 grand a month I would not be surprised. Marcelos place I don't know but I'm pretty sure it ain't cheap. Remeber that is basic rent. Does not account for insurance etc. Those guys are big time famous names that will still attract students from the tri state area. It is the smaller schools that I see struggling to survive. Imagine if you are paying 8 thousand a month and the land lord has been working with you. Now he wants his rent from April through August while you have been closed. I can't think a gym owner can come up with 40 grand easily.

It is the smaller schools that I see struggling to survive. Imagine if you are paying 8 thousand a month and the land lord has been working with you. Now he wants his rent from April through August while you have been closed. I can't think a gym owner can come up with 40 grand easily.

Yeah, it must be super tough for anybody in a mega pricey place like Manhattan. Although where I live (Bristol, UK) isn't known for cheap commercial rents (nothing compared to Manhattan or London, but not insignificant), I pay waaaay less than that, so the financial hit to me has been far more manageable over lockdown. Especially as my students are awesome, so a lot of them continued to pay during this period where I've only been able to offer solo drilling classes over Zoom.

Still, there certainly has been financial pressure, which is why I'm opening next week (solo drilling classes only, plus grappling dummies, hence why I'm putting up vids for my students on how to make a home made one so everybody has one). If it wasn't for that pressure, I wouldn't re-open until English regulations allowed contact training again.

How much do you guess rent is for Marcelo's or Renzo's?

You could figure out market rate real quick with the address and square footage looking on zillow/redfin/whatever. It's high in NY and LA, but also in downtown anywhere that's a big city with jobs.

Dude on my block, literally is rocking the yard sign "Biden 2020, he won't inject you with bleach"
...."But I’m not sure what changes If Biden becomes President?"

iu

Um.....

iu

....He won't recommend Americans inject bleach?....

iu

Does anyone fucking need any more of a fucking reason?

My real estate friend says 150 to 200 dollars a square foot is the average as long as you don't have a street front, most gyms are a buzzer with a name then you take the elevator upstairs to the floor the gym is on. So according to him 15 grand a month is the norm for a school to have a decent Manhattan size space

me too I rolled for the first time since December and it’s causing a lot of attitudenal vibes and body language from the misses.

Yep I sat down with the wife and had a serious conversation that I need to go back. I was starting to get anxiety like symptoms. I went from working out 5 days a week hard being so tired by 930pm from my body being exhausted to nothing. I did workouts at home but they are nothing compared to what I was getting from BJJ and lifting.

Yuropean here.

My "state" in Yuroland has a no-contact law in gyms. We can't train with partners. We can only do solo training in our alloted spaces, keeping a safe distance from each other. Our BJJ classes have become fitness classes with a Gi with a focus on somewhat applicable movements. We had to close our school and now we are back to renting space at another club. We haven't lost many BJJ people, but other activities saw a steep decline in members due to corona, hence closing the gym. If the no-contact law is not changed in a couple of months, we will start losing members to other activities. The school year is also starting now, so I expect a spike in cases which will support keeping the no-contact law in gyms.

We will get by, but the BJJ scene in my area will take a couple of years to recover after we get a vaccine or achieve group immunity the old fashioned way, whenever that is.

Back