Locked BLACK PANTHER Thread V.2 (First Critics' Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KnightTemplar

It just Dawned on me that T'Challa is fighting the Human Torch that's 2 straight movies that the Black Panther is fighting a Human Torch.

black-panther-pin-1072701.jpeg

<{you!}>

Update: January 22, 2018

First Clip from BLACK PANTHER Released Featuring Car Chase in South Korea

I dunno, I think the suit is kind of dull. He should have a cape or something. Otherwise he just looks like a black Green Man.

Best thing about this movie seems to be the supporting cast. And that godamn awesome leitmotif.

I dunno, I think the suit is kind of dull. He should have a cape or something. Otherwise he just looks like a black Green Man.

Best thing about this movie seems to be the supporting cast. And that godamn awesome leitmotif.

Giant codpiece it is then.

Essential, IMO. having something accidentally graze my balls is painful enough, imagine taking a frickin' lazer beam blast to them.

Last edited:
You're wrong there. Blade being black and Ripley being female were a big deal. Ripley is a feminist icon.

The difference is it wasn't the age of digital information. No youtube, no twitter, no social media, no blogs. You weren't listening to everyone's thoughts and opinions for the entire year leading up to the movie. You saw the trailer, maybe read a review in your local paper, and went out and saw it.
You're right, virtue signaling regressives would be making a stink about it for "virtue" and white guilt. I'm sure many women and minorities would take pride in their roles too. I don't begrudge the latter, as it was more rare at the time, but I hate the pandering that takes place today. It feels more like marketing manipulation and virtue back patting over substance. So much focus on gender/race in everything today takes away from the products and the people involved. I wish more individuals would take notes from the great Avery Brooks (Capt Sisko) when asked about being the first lead black Captain in Star Trek

You're right, virtue signaling regressives would be making a stink about it for "virtue" and white guilt. I'm sure many women and minorities would take pride in their roles too. I don't begrudge the latter, as it was more rare at the time, but I hate the pandering that takes place today. It feels more like marketing manipulation and virtue back patting over substance. So much focus on gender/race in everything today takes away from the products and the people involved. I wish more individuals would take notes from the great Avery Brooks (Capt Sisko) when asked about being the first lead black Captain in Star Trek

sorry but your view is immensely ignorant.

Do you know why white actors put on black face to play blacks in movies prior.

Do you know white characters have played all sorts of ethnics from asian to african to egyptian and everything in between in movies prior.

The biggest age of 'washing' was the prior white washing of almost every historical character from Jesus and Moses on down because the audience was predominantly white and hollywood was pandering to that audience.

Evcen recently a movie like Gods of Egypt had an almost all white cast.

But if you are white you simply do not notice that vast, vast majority of the pandering is at you and when you notice them pandering to others suddenly you get all uppity and start thinking 'this pandering must stop'. lol. Ya now it is finally going in a different direction for once.

Look I don't care that for almost all of Hollywood's history they pandered to whites. That was their audience primarily and they were trying to make money from them. Now that audience is changing I don't care they are pandering to others as well. Guaranteed that now China can make or break a movie you will see the continued insertion of a more and more chinese characters. Nothing wrong with that just as the vast majority of movies now would favour a white person lead in most lead roles situations still.

sorry but your view is immensely ignorant.

Do you know why white actors put on black face to play blacks in movies prior.

Do you know white characters have played all sorts of ethnics from asian to african to egyptian and everything in between in movies prior.

The biggest age of 'washing' was the prior white washing of almost every historical character from Jesus and Moses on down because the audience was predominantly white and hollywood was pandering to that audience.

Evcen recently a movie like Gods of Egypt had an almost all white cast.

But if you are white you simply do not notice that vast, vast majority of the pandering is at you and when you notice them pandering to others suddenly you get all uppity and start thinking 'this pandering must stop'. lol. Ya now it is finally going in a different direction for once.

Look I don't care that for almost all of Hollywood's history they pandered to whites. That was their audience primarily and they were trying to make money from them. Now that audience is changing I don't care they are pandering to others as well. Guaranteed that now China can make or break a movie you will see the continued insertion of a more and more chinese characters. Nothing wrong with that just as the vast majority of movies now would favour a white person lead in most lead roles situations still.
You're missing my point. I don't care who is cast in a film , or who the protagonist in a video game is, so long as the storytelling/gameplay takes center stage.

Playing identity politics before anything else is a bad strategy and audiences will see right through it. Look how badly Star Wars bombed in China, they saw right through their pandering over substance, so much where Chinese viewers have been quoted as calling it insulting to their intelligence. The Last Jedi did well because of the brand domestically, but they really hurt the franchise moving forward.

Marvel made a slew of comic books that pandered to women and minorities over substance and bombed horribly because they were terribly written.

I don't begrudge a studio for using big names to help sell a movie either, they invest hundreds of millions of dollars after-all. Hell, Chinese made "The Great Wall" brought in Matt Damon to help sell in their theaters. I do agree with you though. If you're going to make a movie in the middle east, you should probably cast darker skinned leads lol.

Personally I'd love to see Idris Elba star in a new Bond film, perhaps as a different 00 agent. It's not because he's black, it's because he's one of my fav actors (Stringer Bell!!) and he could freshen up the franchise. I really want another Sleeping Dogs game too. I play a lot of Japanese/Asian based games (Love Yakuza/Shenmue series) because I'm interested in experiencing a different culture, but the games have to be good, not just have diverse protagonists/characters to virtue signal *cough* Mass Effect Andromeda...

Even Irdis agrees with me
http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/22/idris...dris-elba-james-bond-just-black-bond-7251296/

Last edited:
You're missing my point. I don't care who is cast in a film , or who the protagonist in a video game is, so long as the storytelling/gameplay takes center stage.

Playing identity politics before anything else is a bad strategy and audiences will see right through it. Look how badly Star Wars bombed in China, they saw right through their pandering over substance, so much where Chinese viewers have been quoted as calling it insulting to their intelligence. The Last Jedi did well because of the brand domestically, but they really hurt the franchise moving forward.

Marvel made a slew of comic books that pandered to women and minorities over substance and bombed horribly because they were terribly written.

I don't begrudge a studio for using big names to help sell a movie either, they invest hundreds of millions of dollars after-all. Hell, Chinese made "The Great Wall" brought in Matt Damon to help sell in their theaters. I do agree with you though. If you're going to make a movie in the middle east, you should probably cast darker skinned leads lol.

Personally I'd love to see Idris Elba star in a new Bond film, perhaps as a different 00 agent. It's not because he's black, it's because he's one of my fav actors (Stringer Bell!!) and he could freshen up the franchise. I really want another Sleeping Dogs game too. I play a lot of Japanese/Asian based games (Love Yakuza/Shenmue series) because I'm interested in experiencing a different culture, but the games have to be good, not just have diverse protagonists/characters to virtue signal *cough* Mass Effect Andromeda...

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/22/idris...dris-elba-james-bond-just-black-bond-7251296/
Ok fair enough. I did misunderstand your point. We get quite a few posters here bitching about that pandering and demanding it end, while being completely ignorant that they (whites) still receive more pandering than all else combined. And no one should give a crap about this as entertainment is a pandering to the audience business. You identifying who the paying members of your audience are and give them what you think they want to see. That IS the business. And that means as that audience now changes so too will the pandering. so when i see the 'oh woe is me...WHY' crowd bitching because they are no longer the only being pandered to I have little sympathy.

I agree with your post. GIve us a good content and a good story. That is what matters first and foremost.

Star Wars didn't bomb in China due to pandering, it just doesn't appeal to Chinese
The Force Awakens didn't do that good there either.
Rogue One had one of China's most famous actors in it and it didn't do anything special.

There is definitely some sacrificing of good character /story development in order to just shoehorn in a minority or female into films, but there are also just bad movies, and people looking to be offended.
After rewatching TLJ, i came away from it thinking less about any SJW messages, and more that it was structurally just not a good movie. There was a way to portray strong, believable women in that movie, and the writers failed...but they failed at a lot of other shit in that movie too.
But yea, i of course agree that character and story should come before pushing whatever agenda you have in a film

A little bit more added from the car chase scene. It shows how Shuri, T'Challa's sister, uses Wakandan technology to have her brother's back.

The clip previous just shows the BP suit change and jump on the car. This one takes place a few seconds prior to that, but sets the scene up a little better.

Update: January 25, 2018

Marvel's BLACK PANTHER Tracking for Heroic $100M to $120M U.S. Debut

Ryan Coogler's Black Panther is tracking to open to a heroic $100 million-$120 million at the North American box office, according to early prerelease surveys.

Marvel Studios and Disney open the stand-alone superhero movie on Feb. 16, the beginning of the four-day Presidents' Day weekend.

Black Panther stars Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther alongside Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker and Andy Serkis.

The movie is the 18th title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's also the first tentpole of 2018.

If tracking is correct, Black Panther will come in ahead of stand-alone Marvel pic Doctor Strange, which posted a three-day debut of $85 million in November 2016. It would also be the biggest opening of 2018 to date.

'Black Panther' Tracking for Heroic $100 Million-$120 Million U.S. Opening Weekend

Update: January 25, 2018

Extended BLACK PANTHER Super Bowl Ad Released Early by Lexus

Black Panther is riding into the Super Bowl in style. Marvel unveiled a partnership with Lexus for the film ahead of last year's San Diego Comic-Con, and now its the Super Bowl spot is rolling out early online. It shows Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) and his sister Shuri (Letitia Wright) saving the day with help from the 2018 Lexus LS 500 F SPORT. The ad will air Feb. 4 during the Super Bowl's 3rd quarter and also features Run the Jewel's song "Legend Has It."

'Black Panther' Super Bowl Ad Drops Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back