Blades....what do you have? What would you like?

Japanese Tanto for Training all the way, Ive also always wanted to train with the butterfly knife.

• [*]So what kind of Knife do you have?
    [*]What kind of knife would you like?
    [*]What are your favorite brands?
    [*]What is your main use?

1. mainly tactical
2. Spyderco Police and Mantis Karambit
3. Spyderco, CRKT, KA-BAR, Cold Steel
4. LLC Knife

Just picked up a Cold Steel Kukri Machete. I normally wouldn't have picked something like this up for lumberjack/ bonfire building type of work, but after watching the guy from knifetests.com not be able to destroy it in 60 minutes, I figured what the hell for $20. Can't wait to test it this season.

ColdSteelKukriMacheteDestructionTest

A17-CS97KMS.jpg

Just picked up a Cold Steel Kukri Machete. I normally wouldn't have picked something like this up for lumberjack/ bonfire building type of work, but after watching the guy from knifetests.com not be able to destroy it in 60 minutes, I figured what the hell for $20. Can't wait to test it this season.

ColdSteelKukriMacheteDestructionTest

A17-CS97KMS.jpg
I hear really good shit about the actual CS Kukri for hacking up wood too. of course, if you already have a big chopper or baton-able blade, it's probably more money than its worth.

Actually, you're in a really interesting spot to help me out finn, I've got a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest axe and a 10" heavy duty knife (the scrapyard Dogfather) and given your experience with fire building, if you had to have one or the other for building a fire and all that encompases (ie, splitting, making kindling, sacrificing virgins, etc) which would you prefer?

Just got the Gerber LMR II. Very nice knife. It's my first fixed blade in a very long time. I plan on doing some hiking and camping this summer.
gb-22-01400.jpg

I won one of these in a contest some time last year but had to go out for a job. Half a year later and it just caught up to me.

wilk10[640x480].JPG

It comes apart like this:

wilk2%20[320x200].JPG

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with this thing.

I see them on eBay for $400-600 bucks so on the one hand, I think I might keep it. When I entered the contest, I thought I'd use it for general purpose abuse, like I do with all of my knives but this one looks way too much like a weapon for me to take anywhere.

Hey, anyone want to buy this thing? I've decided to get rid of it (grip is just too big and I've got small hands) and pick up another kukri instead. Might put it up on eBay or knife forums in a few days.

I hear really good shit about the actual CS Kukri for hacking up wood too. of course, if you already have a big chopper or baton-able blade, it's probably more money than its worth.

Actually, you're in a really interesting spot to help me out finn, I've got a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest axe and a 10" heavy duty knife (the scrapyard Dogfather) and given your experience with fire building, if you had to have one or the other for building a fire and all that encompases (ie, splitting, making kindling, sacrificing virgins, etc) which would you prefer?

If I were to choose one to take, I'd go with the axe. That knife looks big enough for a lot of tasks, but it would be a pain in the ass to notch logs to keep them from rolling out/ in if you were wanting to build a cabin-style fire or have to deal with curvy or really round wood.

Also, the knife's rockwell hardness is a little too close to being brittle for my liking. If it had a hardened edge with a softer spine, that'd be okay, but I'd worry about stress fractures and eventual breakage (esp. when splitting if you have to start prying the wood apart with the blade) if its the same hardness throughout.

If I were to choose one to take, I'd go with the axe. That knife looks big enough for a lot of tasks, but it would be a pain in the ass to notch logs to keep them from rolling out/ in if you were wanting to build a cabin-style fire or have to deal with curvy or really round wood.

Also, the knife's rockwell hardness is a little too close to being brittle for my liking. If it had a hardened edge with a softer spine, that would be okay, but I'd worry about stress fractures and eventual breakage (esp. when splitting if you have to start prying the wood apart with the blade) if its the same hardness throughout.
Cool. seems like a constant debate between the traditional bushcrafters (who want an axe to be more like nesmut) and the nutnfancy-esque crowd that prefers a big knife. Lotta reputable people on either side of the coin really. I asked you since a large amount of what you use the axe or big knife for is fire work, and I REALLY hoped you say the knife so I could justify leaving the axe axe at home and not having to test the two for myself... oh well.

regarding that knife, it's indestructible. The scrapyard scrapper 6 was the first knife to be rated that high on knifetests.com, and the busse knife family (busse combat knives, scrapyard knives and swamp rat knives) are all exceptional in blade quality.

• So what kind of Knife do you have?
- 9 inch K-bar heavy bowie, spyderco endura, benchmade griptillian, benchmade 530, benchmade fixed i cant remember the name of, some fancy buck fixed blade, buck rush assisted, boker auto ak-47, throwing knives, CRKT m16, misc other crazy chinese knives and no name crap.
  • What kind of knife would you like?
- all of them. every last one. but right now i have my eyes on a spyderco endura with plain edged black blade and black g10 handles. also a spydergo mini griptiliian
  • What are your favorite brands?
-if you havent figured it out yet, benchmade and spyderco
  • What is your main use?
-EDC. 9 times out of 10 its just for opening mail, packes, boxes. rarely does something more strenuous come up. but i allways cary one just in case.

FYI i already cut myslef

the most recent purchase showed up in the mail yesterday

kabar-large-heavy.jpg

• So what kind of Knife do you have?
- 9 inch K-bar heavy bowie, spyderco endura, benchmade griptillian, benchmade 530, benchmade fixed i cant remember the name of, some fancy buck fixed blade, buck rush assisted, boker auto ak-47, throwing knives, CRKT m16, misc other crazy chinese knives and no name crap.
  • What kind of knife would you like?
- all of them. every last one. but right now i have my eyes on a spyderco endura with plain edged black blade and black g10 handles. also a spydergo mini griptiliian
  • What are your favorite brands?
-if you havent figured it out yet, benchmade and spyderco
  • What is your main use?
-EDC. 9 times out of 10 its just for opening mail, packes, boxes. rarely does something more strenuous come up. but i allways cary one just in case.

FYI i already cut myslef

COLOR can make things hard to read and adds little.

When you're being cute and write in white it looks like this to people using the light background.

Just stick with the defaults.

COLOR can make things hard to read and adds little.

When you're being cute and write in white it looks like this to people using the light background.

Just stick with the defaults.

ill post however the damned hell i want to buddy.

and FYI, i quoted the OP and started typing under his questions, it automatically made my text white. you can take the blue as a kind hearted 'FUCK YOU' :)

Cool. seems like a constant debate between the traditional bushcrafters (who want an axe to be more like nesmut) and the nutnfancy-esque crowd that prefers a big knife. Lotta reputable people on either side of the coin really. I asked you since a large amount of what you use the axe or big knife for is fire work, and I REALLY hoped you say the knife so I could justify leaving the axe axe at home and not having to test the two for myself... oh well.

regarding that knife, it's indestructible. The scrapyard scrapper 6 was the first knife to be rated that high on knifetests.com, and the busse knife family (busse combat knives, scrapyard knives and swamp rat knives) are all exceptional in blade quality.

Well, remember I deal with massive bonfires more than campfires. Couldn't imagine notching twenty 30" diameter logs with a knife. Hell, I don't even have a hatchet anymore. I use a full-sized fireman's axe for virtually everything.

What I personally carry in the wilderness for camping is one of my own blades, about 2 inches wide and 23" long. Its built to "werewolf" proportions due to both my size and preference. Don't have a picture unfortunately; but I'll be recreating it on the forge with some improvements this summer.
So, yeah.
Sketch:
campknife.jpg

Version 2: 22"-24" overall, massive 9" handle for both close grip control work and further back chopping. Serrations added for ropes, reinforced spine, hammerhead pommel (literally will be a hammer's head i chop off a hammer and affix to the tang) paracord wrapped. Probably making it out of a leaf spring or lawnmower blade.
campknife2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, remember I deal with massive bonfires more than campfires. Couldn't imagine notching twenty 30" diameter logs with a knife. Hell, I don't even have a hatchet anymore. I use a full-sized fireman's axe for virtually everything.

What I personally carry in the wilderness for camping is one of my own blades, about 2 inches wide and 23" long. Its built to "werewolf" proportions due to both my size and preference. Don't have a picture unfortunately; but I'll be recreating it on the forge with some improvements this summer.
So, yeah.
Sketch:
campknife.jpg

Version 2: 22"-24" overall, massive 9" handle for both close grip control work and further back chopping. Serrations added for ropes, reinforced spine, hammerhead pommel (literally will be a hammer's head i chop off a hammer and affix to the tang) paracord wrapped. Probably making it out of a leaf spring or lawnmower blade.
campknife2.jpg

Forgot you had a forge! I dig em. Second one kinda reminds me of a khukri with the first half serrated. I was wondering, why go with serrations on the front edge and not just put a sawback portion on it? May take some work to find and forge one, but Scrapyard makes theirs out of the same metal used for jackhammer bits. If you could find a used one, you may be able to flatten it out and make a very formidable blade out of it. Certainly seems like a steel that has to walk the line between hard without being brittle.

I like the hammerhead pommel Idea, same thought occurred to me a few years back, but I'm not in the business of making knives, kinda wish my dogfather knife had it, but on the other hand, never felt like I needed one.

Back