• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Blades....what do you have? What would you like?

Keep in mind if you're going to use a folder for SD over a fixed blade you need to either get the trainer for it or get another one and dull the blade and round the tip.

Deployment of a folder is a fine motor task. Doing it with IFWA is going to be even harder. Also - wave are nice but I've seen people with waved knives fail deployments when their training partners job was only to walk into them - no hands, no strikes etc.

As far as waved knives go I like a p'kal or the blunt nosed emerson karambit (even though with that blunt nosed blade it's no longer a karambit)

Self waved griptillians are pretty nice too.

l'd rather have a The kershaw leek TBH. The nrg looks like some goody griptape on a textureless g10 handle. and I don't like the flipping deployment method. I don't really flick with my knives now, and to have that be the only method of deployment would drive me batty. I'd go with the leek instead. similar pricepoint, with an assisted open and slimmer profile. Haven't actually played with an NRG though, so take that with a big grain of salt...

The only thing holding me back on the Leek is the blade shape, but everything else about it I like.

Keep in mind if you're going to use a folder for SD over a fixed blade you need to either get the trainer for it or get another one and dull the blade and round the tip.

Deployment of a folder is a fine motor task. Doing it with IFWA is going to be even harder. Also - wave are nice but I've seen people with waved knives fail deployments when their training partners job was only to walk into them - no hands, no strikes etc.

As far as waved knives go I like a p'kal or the blunt nosed emerson karambit (even though with that blunt nosed blade it's no longer a karambit)

Self waved griptillians are pretty nice too.
For a strictly sd folder, I'd carry a cold steel raja or espada. both complete with wave deployment, both with a BIG tab to catch on your pocket rim and both are very big (ie intimidating and long reach). But both fail as EDC blades IMO, so I see no utility in them. neat knives though...

I've been hemming and hawing on getting karambit for a while now. how do they function in an EDC capacity? It seems like they have quite the cult following.

For a strictly sd folder, I'd carry a cold steel raja or espada. both complete with wave deployment, both with a BIG tab to catch on your pocket rim and both are very big (ie intimidating and long reach). But both fail as EDC blades IMO, so I see no utility in them. neat knives though...

I've been hemming and hawing on getting karambit for a while now. how do they function in an EDC capacity? It seems like they have quite the cult following.

I would carry a karambit in a pure SD scenario - use a SAK for everyday tasks. I have the emerson karambit cirriculum and have taken some karambit classes and, for me, cult following would seem to be a decent way to describe it (maybe). It's useful if that's the focus of your training. Mine is mostly based around standard shaped blades.

You're pretty limited to EO work with them - but waved ones deploy quickly and if you know what you're doing you can shrug the knife from the palm and draw a gun while still retaining the blade. The are some blade templates that work great for them.

For me I carry a fixed blade, edge up just to the left of centerline "clinch pick" style. I carry my dagger this way as well, both are about 2.5-3" blades.

I'm currently carrying a spyderco tenacious for EDC tasks. Karambits...well...they're not great at the things I'd use a SAK or Tenacious for (cutting an apple, opening a letter etc) _ it works, sure. But I'm of the mind that a fighting knife is just that - and a task knife can be pushed into that role if it has to be.

To each his own though! If we all thought the same the world would be a boring place!

i own all kinds, got Bowie knife, katana,Balisong, 2 switch blade, swiss army, and many pocket knives! i like to collect them especially if i don't have curtain kind, i want to get some more swords!

Having both the Rajah II and the Espada XL, I can say that they don't wave out of the pocket as quickly or as smoothly as my waved Endura, though having that added reach and intimidation more than make up for it. Another hit the Espada takes is that the polished aluminum and G10 handles are very slick and I've found that it takes me just a few fractions of a second longer to deploy it because I want to ensure that I have a firm grasp on it first. I could probably add skateboard tape, but I don't carry the Espada much nowadays anyway, plus there's an all G10 scaled Espada which is much more affordable.

The Cold Steel "mega folders" can make great conversation pieces and bluffer's blades; that's not to say they're incapable of doing hard work, they're just not very practical to carry around on a regular basis.

Main knives I have are: Leatherman Wave, Buck Special, Buck 110, and Kabar USMC

What I Want: all of them..... but I want to get the Buck Vantage Pro, Sypderco Endura 4, ESEE 5, and a Scrapyard Scrapper 6

Then a Husqvarna Axe and Husqvarna Hatchet

Mora, Bark River Bravo 1 and Kukri.

I have a ton of knives but my main ones are:

Fixed:
Strider BT-SS
Boker Applegate-Fairbairn Combat I
Timberline Emerson/Neely Specwar
Full-size Black KA-BAR, Serrated Edge

Folder:
Emerson Wave Commander (with shoulder rig)
Benchmade HK 14255 Tanto (the one I mostly carry)

Wishlist:
Hogue Knives EX01 Knife OD Green Aluminum Handle Tanto Blade (3.5" Tumble Plain)
Still looking for the right fixed blade

Last edited:
Back