Movies BLUE BEETLE (Ends Theatrical Run with $122M; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen BLUE BEETLE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Saw this on Saturday and absolutely loved it, wasnt interested when I saw the trailers, didnt look bad just looked like the same origin story we've seen 20 times already
But when I heard that it went heavy on Chicano culture I got interested and Im glad i did because much of the movie was a beautiful love letter to my people and they represented us perfectly, the good and the goofy(George Lopez's Paisa style 4X4 was hilarious and spot on), although I almost puked when those Texas dirtbags used flour tortillas on their tacos, no one should be forced to see that
The story was a paint by numbers origin story but it was charming and well executed, a lotta Spiderman and Ant Man vibe to it, with cool visuals
Loved the family, they all felt familiar, if you grew up in a Chicano or Mexican household you'll probably recognize someone you know in these characters
Didnt know most of the actors but they all did a great job playing their parts, used to be a big Bruna Marquezine mark like 10 years ago, nice to see her getting a chance to shine for an American audience
Movie was A1 top notch for the first 80 minutes, problem is the runtime was 127 minutes, there's a huge emotional moment at about 75-80 minutes in that takes so much outta you that its hard to stay wrapped up in it as the story keeps rolling along, plus after that things kindy start getting a little too wacky, theres still a whole lotta solid action all the way to the end though
In conclusion, its another decent comic book movie thats worth a watch, if this was an MCU movie it would be a good midcard entry but for the DCEU its towards the top of the pack even though its gonna get lost in the shuffle of the so called super hero fatigue and all the DCEU drama, and it gets extra points because I very much related to the Chicano characters and representation

6.2 Thumps Up Outta 7

And contrary to what @Dragonlordxxxxx would have you believe, the second post credits scene isnt just a "troll gag" its a heartwarming tribute to one of the most beloved characters in the history of Mexican television and a personal favorite of mine

El Chapulin Colorado(The Red Grasshopper)
View attachment 997227

Hey dude, I'm really glad you like the movie. Good to see it was not just a cheap way to attract Chicano audience, but they actually put some thought into it.

So much for Hurricane Hillary being responsible for its lower than expected opening weekend totals.

370296488_10229566353358604_1128254599089667981_n.jpg

https://m.imdb.com/news/ni64213509/?ref_=nws_nwr_li

Saw it today, I really enjoyed it. Definitely for La raza. I’m not Mexican but Hispanic culture is a shared experience. Origin story isn’t anything new but the characters carry it and it has a ton of heart.

8/10 for me.

I'm gonna wait until HBO Max streams it.

Blue Beetle's outfit looks too identical to Yellowjacket from Ant Man. The costume looks recycled.

200px-Yellowjacket_in_Ant-Man_%28film%29.jpg

Saw this on Saturday and absolutely loved it, wasnt interested when I saw the trailers, didnt look bad just looked like the same origin story we've seen 20 times already
But when I heard that it went heavy on Chicano culture I got interested and Im glad i did because much of the movie was a beautiful love letter to my people and they represented us perfectly, the good and the goofy(George Lopez's Paisa style 4X4 was hilarious and spot on), although I almost puked when those Texas dirtbags used flour tortillas on their tacos, no one should be forced to see that
The story was a paint by numbers origin story but it was charming and well executed, a lotta Spiderman and Ant Man vibe to it, with cool visuals
Loved the family, they all felt familiar, if you grew up in a Chicano or Mexican household you'll probably recognize someone you know in these characters
Didnt know most of the actors but they all did a great job playing their parts, used to be a big Bruna Marquezine mark like 10 years ago, nice to see her getting a chance to shine for an American audience
Movie was A1 top notch for the first 80 minutes, problem is the runtime was 127 minutes, there's a huge emotional moment at about 75-80 minutes in that takes so much outta you that its hard to stay wrapped up in it as the story keeps rolling along, plus after that things kindy start getting a little too wacky, theres still a whole lotta solid action all the way to the end though
In conclusion, its another decent comic book movie thats worth a watch, if this was an MCU movie it would be a good midcard entry but for the DCEU its towards the top of the pack even though its gonna get lost in the shuffle of the so called super hero fatigue and all the DCEU drama, and it gets extra points because I very much related to the Chicano characters and representation

6.2 Thumps Up Outta 7

And contrary to what @Dragonlordxxxxx would have you believe, the second post credits scene isnt just a "troll gag" its a heartwarming tribute to one of the most beloved characters in the history of Mexican television and a personal favorite of mine

El Chapulin Colorado(The Red Grasshopper)
View attachment 997227
I finally went out and watched this over the weekend to get out of the heat. I gotta agree with Pliney here, I was worried everything about the culture would feel forced but it didn't. The loud family reminded me of people in my family, just how it is in a Mexican house. Of course they amplified it but it was done well enough.

Overall I enjoyed it, not a groundbreaking origin story as it hit all the expected beats but really the whole family aspect is what kept me invested. Some of the camera shots felt a bit off though like the budget was running out or maybe they meant for it to be on streaming. Also shoutout to the big nostalgia I felt with El Chapulin, took me back to Saturday mornings when i was little.

Box office update:

Blue Beetle finally managed to pass $100 million at the global box office.

$56.5 million (U.S.)
$45.3 million (International)
$101.8 million total

Yikes. I figured it had passed 100 mill domestic. And even that seemed like a modest benchmark. It's too bad, I've heard its pretty damn solid from quite a few people. Just saw The Flash and I liked that one. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was a fun movie in my opinion. We've seen some far worse superhero films make a lot more money. You never know how things are going to play out but WB definitely needs Gunn and co. to right the ship.

Box office update:

Blue Beetle finally managed to pass $100 million at the global box office.

$56.5 million (U.S.)
$45.3 million (International)
$101.8 million total

I'm an hour in and bored out of my mind.

It's like an Iron Man movie where Tony gives a suit of armor to a high school drop out.

I'm an hour in and bored out of my mind.

It's like an Iron Man movie where Tony gives a suit of armor to a high school drop out.

pretty much and it doesnt matter whether they say its a dropout or prelaw smartysmart, for some reason all heroes have an air around them of perennial "durrrr " and react in that way with whatever or whomever they come in contact with.

20 minutes in and they really want it to be known whitey is bad. 50 minutes in and its like the director said "lets make someone speak in spanish every 2 minutes so it feels authentic".

This movie is fucking terrible honestly. The characters were so stereotypical It almost felt like a comedy. Whoever thought having his family save the day was a moron. If they cancelled batgirl and made this, that movie must have been a dumpster fire.

Last edited:
Finally saw it, it was average.

Blue Beetle would have been cool to see on screen if we hadn’t already seen the Iron Spider suit in Infinity War (which also had an AI system and four autonomous legs compared to Blue Beetles’ two) and Cyborg/Iron Man (whose arms also turn into a variety of weapons at will). But since we have, the character doesn’t offer any unique super abilities.

Story wise, there wasn’t much to it. Jaime just gets pulled around by the plot all movie, doesn’t really have any character moments aside from “I’m not a killer” and “I love my family”. The lead actress who played Jenny Kord couldn’t act. The villains were forgettable.

This didn't have "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"

This had "Jaime Reyes was there and the scarab landed on him."

I don't really like gadget heroes. Green Lantern kind of gets a pass because how good he is with the ring is a reflection of the strength of his will.

Back