Bone broth bros, GTFIH!

I wouldn't be so quick to make that conclusion. One of our companies is in the microbiome therapeutics space and the more we learn about respiratory and gut bacteria, the more holes in our understanding of normal function are filled in. I wouldn't be shocked if there was bacteria that feeds off collagen and that bacteria is absolutely required for proper gut lining function. We already know that there are 3 types of bacteria that are deficient (or at least very low population) in Crohn's disease patients.

I'm not saying that there is proof of this but it's not implausible.

The idea that everything is digested into simple amino acids in the gut before it's absorbed is now refuted with the nature paper from just a few years ago where they showed that plant plasmids can be incorporated into mammalian cells.

Not everything is digested into simple amino acids, but collagen is literally just amino acids. It’s taken and used by the body as it sees fit. Collagen doesn’t stay collagen. It’s like saying eating fat turns it into bodyfat.

making my second batch now. Bought beef tendon at the Asian store and threw in a lime this time.

I take Great Lakes Collagen, have for the past 2 weeks.

Joint pain has gone down, gives me 11 grams protein in a glass of water.

It has collagen / amino acids, etc. I am too lazy to do bone broth.

My second batch of bone broth was a big fail. Following the instruction of others to add an acid I threw in a lime because I didnt' have lemon. The rind of the lime was crazy bitter and the stuff was undrinkable. I chucked it.

3rd batch. 2lbs of beef bones + 1 lb of beef tendon and some lemon juice from a bottle. I took a lot time to coll the broth in the fridge and then remove the fat (which traps the terrible smell). I also filtered the broth through a tea strainer to get all other bit out. this stuff tastes great.

Mark Bell is really into this, but he can't really explain why he drinks it. He basically says, "it's supposed to be good for you".

3rd batch. 2lbs of beef bones + 1 lb of beef tendon and some lemon juice from a bottle. I took a lot time to coll the broth in the fridge and then remove the fat (which traps the terrible smell). I also filtered the broth through a tea strainer to get all other bit out. this stuff tastes great.

How long did you cook it and did you add veggies and such?

How long did you cook it and did you add veggies and such?

No veggies. 48 hrs of cooking. I juice veggies and drink that daily so a few carrots and celery aren't going to add much IMHO.

I just don't fucking understand people.

This isn't just you TS, you are simply becoming aware of the same phenomenon.

It's like a whole generation of Americans suddenly remembered that home made soups can be really nutritious and healthy and then they ignored everything about soup.

1) boiling bones with no meat is a stock
2) broth has meat in it. Boiling a whole chicken, or bone in meaty sections is a broth.
3) it tastes better and has more robust nutritional value with more than one ingredient

Garlic, a roasted onion, celery / carrots / green peppers or lemongrass / galanga or ginger/scallions, these are all your friends.

You don't have to drink plain stock to get the health benefits of home made soups.

They also taste better if you actually finish the soup with the rest of the ingredients.

You know what's healthier than plain stock? Using that stock as a soup base and adding, meat, vegetables, legumes, greens etc into a full meal.

If you're simmering oxtail and you could have made a spicy lemongrass oxtail soup but instead you made stock that you consume plain....................... I just feel bad for you man. You're missing out.

Back